1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mage Stronghold!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Barmy Army, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Does anyone know what items the apprentices in the planar speher make you? Especially the last 3? :s

Whenever I ask them to make the Staff if Power, they all die (novices!) could anyone tell me wha this is? Or indeed what anything they make last is? thanks for any advice

2. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Have you checked their bodies for the Staff of Power - it looks like a regular Staff +1 but it has the following stats:

Saving throws +2 bonus
    AC +2

Abilities (one charge):
    Globe of Invulnerability (one round/level, grants immunity to 1st to 4th level spells)

Lightning Bolt of Paralyzation (damage 10d6, save 1/2, also stuns the target (no save) for 5 rounds)

THAC0 +2
    Damage 1d6 +2
    Speed factor 1

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

If you go for the Staff o' Power, all apprenti die automatically. If you have fewer than three apprenti left when you go for the staff, it will fail. If you have all three, it is still only a 50% chance to actually get the staff.

4. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you go for the ring, you'll lose two apprenti but you'll get the ring. At least I've never failed to get it. Ring of wizardry isn't bad. Staff isn't all that good.

5. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I heard that if you have all three apprenti when they ask to make the 3rd item and if you tell them no it's too much then at the end you have a mage that makes you potions. Is this true?

6. CamDawg

If all three apprenti survive, then one will come back and make potions for you after you complete the mage stronghold quests. Every task in the last set of items will kill at least one of them, so you need to tell them to do nothing. I think you also get the most experience from keeping them alive as well.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

What about the Dagger of <charname>, does it do anything special or is it just like some collector item?

8. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IIRC it's just the name. It doesn't do anything special. Thought it might be +1 but I don't remember.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yeah, its +1 and utterly useless by the time its acquired.

Can you even sell the wretched thing?

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I've succeeded with only two left alive (lost one on the scroll.) It's a very small percentage of success (10%), but you don't need all three.

IIRC, yes, but not at a profit.

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Not at a profit?

Hmmm cost = 0.
    Sales price = 0 + x.
    Profit = x.

12. CamDawg

Except that you gave them 100 gold for supplies. :rolleyes:

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Actually:

Cost=100
    Sale Price=1
    Profit=1-100
    Profit=-99

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thats even worse!!

Let an apprentice die, i say....well, i guess maybe not.

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I thought that the choice of Items would be pretty obviouse:
    1. Wand of apprendi, does variouse elemental dammage.
    2. Scroll of Abi-Dalzims, coolest area damage, party freiendly spell
    3. Ring of Wizardry, No nead for staff of power as the magi one is better, (ring)gives you extra spells

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There's also the most useful one - the Robe of the Apprenti. It gives a base armor class of 3, although it doesn't give you the faster casting time of spells. Still, it's 2 AC better than the Robe of Vecna or a Robe of the Arch-Magi, so it does bear considering.

Also, the only way to get the bonus of 50,000 XP for you main character is to have all three survive. The only way this can happen is if you take the Dagger for the first choice. The lowest level scroll (I think it's Mislead, but I could be wrong on that), and then nothing for the last choice. So it really comes down to the question of do you want 50,000 XP or an item on the last choice. You pretty much have to select the dagger and the easy scroll first, because if you don't at least one of your apprentices will die, thus greatly reducing your chances for success of making the third item.

17. AvenLord15 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

save before the freiking wizards and keep doin it untill u get what you want lol

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Avenlord

That doesn't work. If you save before you talk to them and then reload, the same thing happens. You think other people didn't think of that?

19. Moo in techni-color Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

One hint, sometimes your apprentices will say they'll be done in 4 or 5 days, if they say that, their gonna fail, if they say they'll be done in afew days, they'll succeed, simple.

I never have bothered with the last item, decided I'd rather get the XP and the potions, being a fighter/mage/thief 'n all... bah

20. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@ Adeleth the Foppish Idiot
    you dont always fail with the staff of the apprendi, it can be made without any of the apprentices dieng

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.