1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Party - Suggestions or requests.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by hootpad, Mar 9, 2010.

1. hootpad Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm going to start a new party. It will be either 2 or 3 man. I know I need a barbarian, but I have 1 (maybe) 2 other slots open.

I'll submit gains per chapter and everything else. I want this to be informative when it's done. It will be on normal mode, 0 mods, and anything goes.

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorcerer\paladin, and a cleric of sorts.

3. Tillix Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Wild Elf Bard(1)/Sorc(x), always one of my favorites, with rapid shot and bow feats on the beginning, bard items and all talking skills, and firepower later on. I always chose the sexy redhead picture as well :yum:

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Create only a party of 2, make the second character a pure class rogue to test the usefulness of use magic device.

5. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Hmm that sounds interesting. Pure rogue? No Mo? Should he be dual wield daggers?

6. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

A wizard with mix-in levels in Rogue and something warriorish (Paladin is my fav) and cleric with a late (halfway HOF mode) Monk mix-in quite handily mop the floor with anything the game can throw at you.

Three-man parties and especially duos WILL stumble upon the "no exp for kills" soft cap, but if you want to carry on despite this, I'd be interested to know how far they actually get by the end of the Normal mode.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Pure rogue. No need to lower BAB, sneak attack damage and UMD skill with a monk level. I'd take a max strength high damage build to speed up the game, slow battles are boring. For doing the most damage you have to take a feat in greatswords, greataxes or polearms, but weapon style is not as important as strength.

8. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Thanks guys,

@kmonster, that sounds extremely interesting. I'm going to try it. As for my second character i'm going to go Paladin.

@SirRechet
    What's a good Paladin build I should try
    (so I get the sword in chapter 5 of course)

I'm going 2 man. I'll probably submit gains and stuff at the end of chapter 3 and right before the climax in chapter 6.

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

If you want to keep both characters pure and choose non-ECL races I suggest the following: (str-dex-con-int-wis-cha)

Wild elf paladin 18-14-14-1-12-17
    Human rogue 18-17-16-12-4-9

I'd only raise strength at level up since dealing out damage is fun and important.
    I suggest uneven charisma because Oswald can make winter wolf hats.
    The rogue can wear a +1 dex ring early and the +5 dex slippers late in the game.

About the paladin:
    Pure class for deadlier smite evil and more effective special abilities.
    14 dex so (s)he can still use feats which require 13+ dex after drinking the potion of holy transference.
    Don't take more than 12 wis, with potion of holy transference, paladin quest bonus and every god's ring it will be raised to 20.
    Con is a little more useful than cha but using the cha-based paladin special abilities is more fun.
    I'd put all the paladin skill points into stealth.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  10. Thurisaz Gems: 3/31

Has anyone ever gotten any use out of the smite evil other than similar fireworks one gets when casting DUHM or drinking Spirit essence?

I've tried it only a few times, but never had any to hit or damage bonus. The character attacks, hits and does simply normal amount of damage all the time. This leads to the question: what, if anything, smite evil actually does? I've never used it with a character who has less than 18 CHA.

11. hootpad Gems: 3/31

@Thurisaz
    I'm right at the end of chapter 3 and my smite evil is pretty much a guranteed 60 dmg hit if not more (averaging about 25-40 otherwise).

I'll be submitting gains and stuff a little later tonight probably.

---------- Added 2 hours, 29 minutes and 40 seconds later... ----------

Prologue:

Lady Aphex - Level 4 9813/10000

Lord Heartwork - Level 4 9738/10000

--

End of Chapter 1:

Lady Aphex (rogue): Level 11 56057/66000 [48% of total kills]

Lord Heartwork (paladin): Level 11 55658/66000 [51% of total kills]

*NOTES* fire pots (trolls). This is an expensive party. Pots. Pots. Pots & more Pots. Move Silently on both characters is essential.

--

End Of Chapter 2:

Lady Aphex (rogue): Level 14 100640/105000 [47% total kills]

Lord Heartwork (paladin): Level 14 100193/105000 [52% total kills]

*NOTES* Lysara & Sherincal battles exceptionally difficult with this party.

--

End Of Chapter 3:

Lady Aphex (rogue): Level 15 116190/120000 [49% total kills]

Lord Heartwork (paladin): Level 15 115735/120000 [50% total kills]

*NOTES* Obviously I'm not gaining at this point and the difficulty modifier for higher levels is almost rediculous. Say you'll fight a spawn of 5 or 6 mobs (with a 6 man party) with a higher level 2 man party this same spawn will be around 15 -18 mobs. Use Magic Device is becoming less useful, and my paladin is kinda soft. I'll post another update at the end of chapter 6.

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Which races, stats and weapon styles did you choose for your characters ?

When did you use UMD and how were the chances for a successful UMD check ?

How do you handle the battle squares ?

13. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Which races, stats and weapon styles did you choose for your characters ?
    My Rogue is human, paladin is wild elf. Rogue is using Great swords (already put points in the modifiers). Paladin is using basically the best 2 handed weapon I can find until I get my sword in chapter 5 (at which point I will start putting points in his modifiers)

Stats are exactly as we discussed above.

When did you use UMD and how were the chances for a successful UMD check ?

The chances are actually extremely good. the problem is that the scrolls I need most often are only sold on vendors 1 at a time. In order for this skill to be alot more functional I feel like vendors should carry bulk scrolls, and the wands I've found (for the most part) are not what I need. *Also, the books at the Monastery in Chapter 4 didn't work with '18' UMD. Which is something I was hoping for when I rolled this character, either way, my paladin is using them.*

How do you handle the battle squares ?

I only went to level 4 of the squares to get the MA & +electric boots. I would have completed it if the "Unlimited Heals" vendor had been before it, unfortunately it wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

At the battlesquares you can win an item for the UMD skill, the wand of the dead.

You can pay Zak for casting "stoneskin" and "improved invisibility" to protect your paladin for the battle squares (cheaper than buying healing afterwards) and use mostly ranged attacks (5 attacks per round with rapid shot at paladin level 16) to avoid getting hurt.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have read lots of posts here on IWD2, but I have never seen anyone talk about using Zak as a Spell-vending-machine for the Battlesquares. I just searched and it is mentioned in a few discussions. Can't believe I missed that one. now, the chronic restarter in me will be loading IWD2 back up tonight. I know I have a save or two with parties just entering the Fight with Sherincal. :) Thanks kmonster!

16. hootpad Gems: 3/31

So, I'm at the Yuan-ti temple and I'm assuming I can't get the xp inside because this paladin isn't able to wear the initiates robe?

I've been here before with a paladin and he could wear it just fine, why can't this one?

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is he pure-class? If so, that's almost certainly the reason.

18. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Yea he's pure, so I have to go in and just kill everyone and vacate the xp I could have gotten? I've already tried taking the rogue in alone (didnt work), I also tried taking them both inside and leaving the paladin in an inconspicuos spot and that also didnt work.

This sucks mostly because I need the xp in there & I wont get any off the mobs.

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Did you try sneaking with your rogue to the Yuan-ti leader in the north for negotiating about peace ?
    My solo barbarian without diplomatic skills got her only dialogue XP there.

If you need the XP from the other dialogues dying (just get interrupted resting) and getting resurrected is not difficult for your paladin.

20. hootpad Gems: 3/31

@kmonster

Yea, I just went ahead and did what you said with the boss in the Northeast. Guess i'll just take a few losses and move on. Atleast I got 'some' xp.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.