1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Muchkin - While I'm not actively dieting at the moment, I noticed that I was able to lose a decent amount of weight simply by switching from sugar to sugar substitutes. When I switched from sugar in the coffee to Spelnda, and went from regular soda to diet, it made a difference. Now obviously, part of it is how much coffee and other sweetened beverages you consume daily. If you drink one cup of coffee per day, cutting out sugar isn't going to do a whole lot. But you will see a difference if you drink multiple cups of coffee every day.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do not have extra sugar in anything, espeically not in tea or coffee. But I hear what you are saying about sugar in drinks, especially fizzy drinks. In a 500ml bottle of pop there's like, 60-70% of your daily recommended sugar intake, and when you consider how much is in everything else too, one bottle is enough to put you over.

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm good without the sugar. In fact by removing the sugar from my coffee I'm not craving other sweets.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 40 seconds later... ----------

I typically don't drink soda and is no longer on my menu of food. If I want soda I will have a soda water, which is just carbonated water.

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Carbonated water is bad too actually. Contains alot of salt. Salt is just as bad as sugar. It binds up the water in your body. Making you gain weight faster.

5. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Lightly carbonated waters contain roughly the same amount of sodium as groundwater and zero calories. Some highly carbonated waters contain more sodium, but you'd still have to drink several litres every day to get some kind of OD.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I'm not talking the bottled crap you buy at the store. I'm talking about going out at a restaurant and having them provide me a carbonated water. If the carbonated tank puts salt into the drink than yes it has salt; if not, it i just carbonated water. I usually add a squeeze of lemon and lime to my soda water when I go out. Most of the time I just get water with a lemon and lime or just a lemon.

As for going out, the next time I plan to go out to eat is when my 5 year old has her Bday party at chuckie cheese. At least they have a salad bar or i may just eat before we leave since her party is planned for 1pm.

7. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

That's pretty strict - do you think (or know) you'll start slipping from your diet if you eat something less healthy every now and then?

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Black coffee is my absolute favorite (so strange) and I definitely agree that it lowers the cravings for sweet.

I really don't have much to add to this because I'm young, with a high metabolic rate, and have always worked out, but a couple things I can add.

You're being very smart about weening yourself off certain things rather than jumping all the way in. Slowly commit yourself, rather than having an overload. One of my friends did the P90x and it worked wonders for him, so I imagine any consistency with the workout will help a lot. In the end you just have to stay focused on the main goal rather than day by day progression and that will help you keep your spirits up.

Good luck to you.

9. Tillix Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

He guys,
    i think munchkin takes an awesome approach.
    Your plan seems realy solid and i wish you all the best!
    If you continue to workout and don't fall back to real fat stuff, you WILL notice a difference.

I have to say:Advising not to drink carbonated water is phobic IMHO.
    Most people do not drink enough water at all.
    Sure carb water is a tiny bit less healthy that tab water, but at munchkins scale, for what he tries to achieve, concerning oneslf with the kind of water seems to be just an irritation.
    :rolleyes: OHNOOO, THEY MADE ME DRINK CARB WATER :mommy:

Sorry to put this up so sharply, but i think somewhere there is the line that just makes people that try to loose weight give up, saying "I have to check which kind of water i drink as well?? blast it!!"

again, go for it munchkin, i think you're awesome!!

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Sell by dates tend to be my downfall.

"Honey, we have two days to eat these cookies"
    "DAMNIT"

That's a personal issue though - I'm a little phobic about wasting food. I feel incredible guilt just not clearing my plate. :rolleyes:

Also if anyone gives you lectures about specific vegetables give them a good kick for me. Applying psudo-sceitnfic guilt trips about your diet is just cruel and unusual :mad:

11. Tillix Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] :spin:I had a guy telling me i should peel paprika!! :spin:

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Someone had a rant at me because I eat potatoes, apparently such a fact is disraceful and I have no right to complain about my health if I insist on eating potatoes in my condition.

[​IMG]
    Only this man and the irish could get that worked up about it!
    No, that isn't a pop at the irish.

13. Tillix Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] poor potatoes... being blamed for their capability to polymorph into tasty, unhealthy slices of EVIL :evil:

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You can eat french fries but they are baked not fried. You can eat potato chip, but again baked not fried. If you make the food yourself you know what is going into your body.

I'm in day 8 now. I had yesterday to rest the body. Today I'm at it again with the cardio video.

I finally had the time to read through the Power90 book. It basically is a tool to help you stay motivated. As for the diet plan; it wants you to slowly change your eating habbits and cut/raise calories as needed.

After I complete Power 90 I plan to do Power 90 6 day fat burning program. It consist of eating specific foods for 6 days following one workout routine. After I complete that I will go back to Power 90 for round 2.

82 days more to go. I'm excited and looking forward to day zero...

:)

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Keep up the good work, Munchie.

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Thanks.

Last night I almost made it through the power yoga without taking a quick break. On my first day I couldn't even make it throught streches. My goal within the first 30 days is to master Sweat 1-2 or Sculpt 1-2. Within 60 days I hope to be moving onto Sweat 3-4 and Sculpt 3-4.

As for now, I still need to take things one day at a time.

As for all of you that are telling me to eat more protien. Not so fast. Eating too much protien may cause damage to my body. Not getting enough may cause fatigue. I went to see my doctor and he recommends that I have 95-110 grams of protien a day.

I try to get about 30 per a meal with two snacks that provide an additional 5-10 grams. That puts me at about 100-110. That should be enough for me as I am not trying to gain 50lbs of muscle. After all my first goal in all of this is to lose fat first and foremost.

17. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Recommended amount of protein varies a lot. An adult person who doesn't exercise much needs about 0,8 grams of protein per kilogram every day just to maintain the right nitrogen levels. This need doubles if a person exercises regularly (sports, strength training) - otherwise body can't repair the damages done to muscle tissue while exercising.

There is large research claiming that continous consumption of excess protein may lead to higher risk of diabetes, but this happened only to people under the BMI of 25. Even without other health issues, there is no point of eating more protein than you need, since the excess just transforms to fat.

A basic formula for daily protein need for athletes is 1.8-2g per fatless kilogram. Since this requires measuring your fat percentage, it's kind of tricky. 1,5g for every kilogram you weigh, should be enough to maintain the current muscle tissue and I shouldn't be too much with. There's also absolutely no danger of gaining 50 pounds of muscle as long as you're eating less than you consume ;) .

What are those Sculpt programs? The P90X ad I saw had a guy doing pull-ups, barbells exercises and so on.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

It is not P90X (Power 90 Extreme), it is Power 90 (P90). Power 90 was released in 2001. P90X is a very advance P90 program that came out in 2004.

Most people would benefit from just doing Power 90 or Power 90 Master series. You really don't need P90X to achieve a great fitness level.

---------- Added 18 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

Pants that use to fit snug at the lower portion of my waist are now loose when I wear them properly. My belt, which I barely could buckle on the last loop is no longer helping keeping up my pants. I told my wife last night I may have to buy a new belt this weekend.

I'm on day ten today and I look forward to another round of cardio and hopefully I can get by power yoga without needing a 10-15 second break.

19. Tillix Gems: 5/31

yay munchkin, that's A W E S O M E!!!!

20. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Ok, I got those programs mixed up :doh: . Now that I think of it, the Extreme version I saw does seem too challenging as an initial program.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.