1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lothering - Free XP and Gold

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

In Lothering there is a NPC who needs traps. You can sell her 3 traps as many times as you want. You get 50 silver for selling 3 traps and XP to boot. It cost only 9 silver to make the three traps. You end up making money and earning XP. The only downside to this is that you have to make sure you purchase equipment that matches the character level.

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    It's an exploit, yes. You'll need to keep Lothering alive to use it though by not finishing the Sacred Ashes/Treaties and not entering the mage tower, unless you already have a character with the trap-making skill.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    How so?

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I somehow never seem to have anyone in my party with trapmaking at this point in the game, so I always lose access to the quest. I may have to ensure that next time someone has this, to make a little extra cash early on. I never seem to have enough $$ in this game.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You are right that there never seems to be enough money. I tried this exploit and I used it until I had over 150 gold pieces. By the time I had the gold I wanted I was level 10 or so. Without doing any other quest in Lothering.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 11 seconds later... ----------

If you have a level 10 character using rough or cured light armor will not provide the right protection since the enemies auto level according to the PC leve; buy buying light armor made from Leather or Hardend ligh amoror you will have the protection is more appropriate to the character's level.

I ended up purchaing a full studded leather set of armor for the PC and upgraded everyone else up to steel armor with the expection of Morrigan.

Overall though I don't recommend using the exploit unless you really want to buy all the unique equipment later on in the game.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    There are mods that can help with building up followers differently or changing shop prices. No need for exploits.

Armours are IMO overrated (except for tanks of course).

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Agreed. You'll want to keep your armor rating up but defense should be your top priority, probably unless you're fighting something like dragons (their grab attack doesn't miss) or unless you're a two-hander... they won't have much defense to begin with so there's little point I guess, might as well max out strength and make every hit count. Heavy/massive armors usually don't have good defense bonuses.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Armor is very important for tanks; it reduces the amount of damage taken from any weapon. If you have very good armor you receive less damage in combat. I find defense to be important for ranged characters, rogues and mages. As I said in one of my post about my mage she was walking around with 100+ in defense and rarely got hit.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Also the enemies are coded to attack the character with the highest armor first (untill you generate more threat with another character). So high armor should be top priority for your tank.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The most lucrative money exploit/cheat I've found is...
    ...the dragon scale armor trick in Wade's Emporium.
    It comes a bit later in the game, or whenever you decide to do Sacred Ashes. Still, this is the only place I've found that makes up for the distinct scarcity of gold early on. The problem is though, by this point in the game, gold is less of an issue, since you've likely already found pretty decent equipment. Yes, I'm aware it's very cheatery. But it's the only way to afford the cool items from the collector's edition and stuff, and darkspawn don't drop loot for sh*t. In fact, few encountered enemies have decent drops (unlike BG2).

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Does this work on the PS3? I heard it didn't work?

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Who loves the "get paid twice for one item" and "duplicate stackable item" vendor exploits on the PC (they apparently work on other platforms, but it seems more difficult)?

I didn't use them in my first runthrough, but on my second just now, I got to Ostagar and headed straight to the quartermaster. I used my free Blood Dragon armor to get over 100 sovereigns in a flash and bought every recipe he had. I then duplicated the backpack as I bought it and got 20 extra inventory slots instead of 10 (and apparently I can do it again after the Korcari Wilds when he supposedly has another backpack). Then I duplicated a few trap parts he had just to see how it worked.

Can't wait to get to my camp; supposedly you can duplicate the tomes that give you extra talents and extra spells and since you can supposedly get two of each from Bodahn due to his inventory resetting after the first time you meet him in camp, you can do it very near the beginning of the game.

Seems I'll have to wait until after I finish the Nature of the Beast to duplicate the skills tome.

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Since you're having fun, just be wary of a few bugs:

Don't duplicate and sell items too much on a single vendor. Vendors have a maximum capacity of 500+ items (I think). If you try and go further than that, your save gets corrupted.

Don't duplicate skill tomes too much, particularly warrior skill tomes. If you run out of skills to take I think your game can get bugged.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah, I'm duplicating stuff for me, not the vendor. And when selling to get gold, I just use the exploit with a high value item and buy it right back :)

I have heard of not being able to level if you can't use all your skill/talent points so I'll be careful. Thanks. :)

EDIT: Heh, yep, the quartermaster had another backpack that I duplicated. I have 110 slots already! Lack of inventory slots was the most annoying thing about my last game. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

In one of my games I had 140 or 150 inventory slots. I don't remember how I did it but I had a lot of inventory slots.

As for making 100 gold with the armor, how do you do that?

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I think I had 120 slots at the end of my first game...

There is an exploit where when you sell an item, you can get paid twice for it. So you sell and buy back a high value item and keep increasing your money by the value of the item. The armor was worth ~4 sovereigns, so it went pretty quickly.

I only have the PC version, so I don't know how well it works on other platforms, but the exploit to get paid twice is as follows: Since you can sell items by clicking with the left mouse button and dragging to the vendor's screen as well as clicking with the right mouse button, if you use both, you can get paid twice. How it works best for me is to click with the left button and start to drag, then click the right button and continue to drag to the vendor's screen. Release the right button first and you get paid; then release the left button and you get paid again.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

That is why the trick does not work on the PS3. You only have one button to sell an item, the X button.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    IIRC it works for other platforms, but the method is different and didn't seem as easy. Something to do with putting items in your junk (sounds kinda kinky ;) )? I dunno, but you can read about it at the dragon age wiki; I'd give a link, but it's blocked at my workplace.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bah! The inventory tops out at 125 slots! I found this out buying (and duplicating) the backpacks from Bodahn. Oh well, at least I have the maximum number near the beginning of the game rather than closer to the end. I didn't have too much of an inventory problem near the end, but this time I was planning to carry more crafting items... we'll see how it goes.

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I never had anything more than 125 at a time. Hmm...

As for the console and the junk section; yeah it stinks in the junk piles some times...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.