1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thread of Random Babbling, iteration 111

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Whaaaaaat?? Every episode is the same!

@Silvery
    When I was doing models, I found it easier to first paint then assemble.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It depends on the type of model. When painting tanks, It should be really easy to assemble then paint. Small figures, like goblins on 20mil bases are a little different. But as a general rule of thumb, I assemble 1st. You got to paint in layers and shades. More often, I found it easier to use black as a base for all my models. It gives you some base shading from the get go. Does he know how to drybrush?

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Silvery - May I suggest looking here when you next need to buy a gift for your man ;) the books are surprisingly helpful.

Generally it's better to assemble first then paint.

I'm dating a manager remember? ;) he's been in the hobby for twenty years, as long as Robs break in fact, lol! Am also a hobbyist myself - I am good at colour theory and techniques so can give verbal advice if not practical demonstrations. I also have info from some GD winners which is nice :)

Sprayguns are a blessing with tanks as well - look into getting one from hobbycraft that goes quite small, not necessarily the GW one, it has a largish smallest diameter which can make camo streaking a less than fine art. Good for getting a good base colour though.

If you need a hand, don't hesitate to ask anything, Kev and I are sharing a computer so can pass on messages to him easily :)

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Smashing, thanks 8. I'll be stalking you from now on! He's just bought himself an airbrush kit for about £20 so we'll see how it goes. I bought him the hardback overview of the Horus Heresay (sp?) the other day so I'm in the good books now :lol:

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My roommate is a heck of a painter and a really good player as well. But I guess his friend in Seattle had a small company devoted mostly to Warhammer stuff and the guy has been payed $2,000+ to paint armies before. Crazy.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Silver - for some reason Kev is grumbling and has turned his chair to face the corner of the room... I think he disapproves :lol: everyone's a critic.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

8 - Can you ask your man why they stalk you every time you enter a GW store? The workers won't take a hint and never go away. Every store I go to here in the states, whether in PA, NJ or IL, is the same way. Completely annoying. I have not bought from certain stores because they are so bad in that regard.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

No class tonight! :banana: I am going to pa--- do work and build theatre sets:grr:

9. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] US stores are done differently than in the UK - from what I gather though, a lot of US gamers are disappointed by the service. To the point where GW has pullled back a LOT of their stores.

US stores are focused on SALES, SALES, SALES. UK targets focus on recruiting new hobbyists and maintaining sales and new player counts, US just goes for money. To the point where half the staff are harrassing or will give terrible advice just to get a sale. I've heard some awful stories of US stores, but I've never had trouble in the UK ones.

One of the ten commandments (going out now for something else) is to build a rapport with the customer, unfortunately the GW crowd are not usually the most personable :lol:

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    For me it's Firefly against True Blood and Flight of the Conchords. The latter was worth it. True Blood, not so much.

"What are yeh, Sookeh?!"
    "Ah'm just a waitress!"

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    haha, that's funny because my girlfriend started to get into True Blood a lot a showed me a a clip here and there. I didn't want to watch it because I might go through all the episodes in order and I dislike spoilers...

12. Blades of Vanatar

The 1st question is always, "What army are you playing?". Followed up with their opinion, not matter if it was asked for or not. Then they ask you if you ever tried their favorite army and tell you all about it, again, even if you didn't ask. It's like a pathetic plea for converation. Scary....

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That was a good start, unfortunately the end of that sentence didn't meet my expectations. :p

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Too bad they weren't the after models ;)

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Yeah, I too have done a fair bit of it- more than half my life (now there's a scary thought!), so I too have a fair bit of knowledge about the hobby. Both Blades and 8 have given good advice. There's not a lot of point in painting something like a tank before assembling- unless of course you are aware you'll need to to do some particular fine detail that assembling would obscure (but to know this you'd have to be pretty decent to be at this point anyway). Some of the smaller figures benefit from doing this (especially ones that hold a gun across their chest), but that obviously isn't the case here.

Incidentally, the book would be about the Horus Heresy, as in the heretical rebellion of a chap called Horus. It's pretty central in the 40K universe and the books themselves aren't too badly written- a pleasant change from quite a few other Black Library books. Now I'm imagining a parallel universe where it really was the Horus Heresay... :shake:

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Meh. Nothing to say, really.

17. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Snow, Ice, Rain, Wind.... Blizzard :sick:

On the other hand 2 days in a row off :thumb:

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I hope it snows enough tonight for classes to be cancelled tomorrow. That would be excellent, as I do not want to do anything :p

Working on my screenplay right now... I need to edit 10 pages, then write 10 more for tomorrow. Blech.

19. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    No more exams until June! :D

One went great, the other one's results are due next week, but I hope it's ok. Out of my hands, anyway.
    *celebrates*

*grabs jet boots and/or grows metallic wings* Let's see if there's RP about...

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yesterday my DSL modem broke, so I went to my ISP's shop this morning. Gently threatening to go to another ISP, I got my ISP to (a) change my contract to a 20% cheaper one with more bandwidth and (b) give me a new and shiny WLAN router-modem (which is estimated to arrive here mid next week) and (c) and lend me a brand new modem free of charge until the new hardware arrives. And all that with a minimum time investment :) I just changed the modem and am online again.

It was a little frightening to note that without internet access my computer was actually more or less useless to me, except for the writing and gaming capability. I can't do my mail, banking and get information. Worse, a couple of programs I use require a working internet connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.