1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying Return to Ostagar (DA:O DLC)

Discussion in 'Featured Polls & Comments' started by Taluntain, Feb 8, 2010.

?

Have you bought Return to Ostagar, the latest Dragon Age: Origins DLC?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2015.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Not yet, but I intend to

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. No and I probably won't

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This time we're focusing on the latest Dragon Age: Origins DLC, Return to Ostagar.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm going to be buying it as soon as I finish my current game.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Voted no and probably won't. As much as I enjoyed my first runthrough of the game, I can't seem to get through a second. Even with a completely different character and party composition, it's just all feeling too familiar. I probably need to put another 6 - 12 months between me and the game... but by then hopefully DA2 will be on the horizon.

At any rate, I'm not motivated to purchase this, as after I'm done with this content, my game will likely fizzle and die. :/

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have to agree with Marceror on this one. The re-playability in this game is really poor. And i dont want to go through it every single time they toss out one of their dlcs. The previous ones were really short as well. Not worth the money or the effort.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I have to disagree, replayability is good, differences can be subtle at times but they do exist. I'm still discovering stuff and I've been playing all origins. I still haven't completed the game as a Mage though.

On topic, I've bought the DLC. It's not that thrilling. I would have liked a hell level à la Diablo. It is a rather straightforward dungeon crawl (with some cool items and a few cutscenes). Note that Alistair, Wynne and Loghain will have things to say if you take them back to Ostagar.

I'm not impressed by DLCs so far, especially when it takes so long to get them and the content is so limited. Warden's Keep offered much more than Return to Ostagar and even considering that they did drop the price for RTO it's no excuse when you can get a free fan made quest mod (Alley of Murders) that gives you more content, decisions and fun than RTO the official DLC.

I hope Bioware gives us a good expansion with Awakening because if they continue down the road they took with RTO they won't get more of my money.

I like the game a lot and I even found reasons to enjoy Warden's Keep despite the shameless in game advertising and the brevity of the quest but Return to Ostagar is not even fun, there is no choice to be made and the only story is made up by a few cutscenes (mostly flashbacks from Ostagar) and some codex entries (probably the best part of the mod with the items).

If you intend to replay the game and don't mind wasting a few bucks/euros on that then you can get it otherwise don't bother as you certainly won't miss it.

Do yourself a favour and get a free mod that is actually worth playing instead.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I might consider this for my second play-through. Especially if they lower the price in the future. IMO they should include this with Awakening.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wardens keep was far to short, so this one they can keep.

8. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

No yet, but I intent to... I haven't have much time to play my second play through and in addition I have the Xbox 360 version, so it was delayed beyond the original resease date.

Maybe I will get it, if I decide to go port to PC instead!

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I play DA on the 360 but it's not really possible to use X-box Live due to how I connect to the internet at my flat. I'll only buy it if it is released as a package with other DLC on a disc (like what Bethesda did with the fallout 3 DLC).

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted no and probably won't, however, I purchased this last night, so that puts me in the yes group.

[Fixed! ;) -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

don't get me wrong, i loved the game, but i'm not gonna set up another account to buy something digital. I'll stick with amazon, thank you :)

12. Marceror

Media:
    Assuming you set up a Bioware account to receive some of the free downloads that pretty much everyone should have taken advantage of, you don't need a new account to download the content. Now if your issue is not wanting to fork out the $5.00 USD, well I can understand that.

I finished RTO yesterday. Yeah, it was relatively short. Yeah, it was primarily just a darkspawn kill-fest. But it was enjoyable and well done. King Cailan's armor is pretty sweet. When I set Wynne to Arcane Warrior mode, I have her don this excellent suit and she becomes quite the effective wall. And looks pretty swell too.

I laughed my butt off when Wynne started, basically, propositioning Alistair at the end of the final battle. I think her intent was just to break the "grandmotherly view" he has developed of her, rather than a true invitation, but it was hilarious and unexpected nonetheless. On the other hand, who knows, maybe she really would go for some young, Grey Warden action! I'm not sure I want to think about that, actually.

--Thanks Tal for updating my vote!

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The final poll results from the old forums (including guest votes):

Q: Have you bought Return to Ostagar, the latest Dragon Age: Origins DLC?
    (79 votes total)

No and I probably won't (38) 48%
    Not yet, but I intend to (21) 27%
    Yes (20) 25%

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.