1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
  2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, again.

It's one of those books I have to read again from time to time.

I just finished The Invinsible Man by H.G. Wells before that.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, I'm really enjoying it so far.

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    So what *is* the name of the rose? Do they reveal that at the end? :p

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*whispering* Rosebud...

Wow, the double irony there is so incredible I may just soil myself.

6. Triactus

Media:
    Too much info! :outta:

7. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm still reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. I took a little break from reading in general, but am now back into the swing. It is an epistolary novel (all letters, journal entries, documents, etc..). It is an interesting style as it tends to mask the author. There is no narrator, so that voice is absent, and since there are a number of different "authors" within the book, each having an individual, unique voice, this again masks the voice of the actual author (in this case, Bram). It's a good book though. Dr. Van Helsing had an interesting thing to say in the chapter I just finished:

...'To believe in things that you cannot. Let me illustrate. I heard once of an American who so defined faith: "that which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue." For one, I follow that man. He meant that we shall have an open mind, and not let a little bit of truth check the rush of a big truth, like a small rock does a railway truck. We get the small truth first. Good! We keep him, and we value him; but all the same we must not let him think himself all the truth in the universe.'

For a split second there, I believed in vampires. Was fun.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Just finished "The Prodigal Mage" by Karen Miller. It was absolutely terrible. I hated every single character (since when are arrogant, ignorant, spineless, stupid characters supposed to be relatable or likable, particularly if ALL of the characters are the same?), nothing happened for the first 150 pages, there were only two moments in which there was any action, and there was no climax of the story. Just a cliffhanger to get you to buy the next one. My suggestion: avoid this book at all costs (and the author, if this is any hint of what she has to offer).

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I read Ender's Game, which was really good. Now I'm reading ... I think it's called Threshold by Ursula K. Le Guin. Not really digging it so far.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Card is a strange author he has written some really good stuff and some really bad stuff and I am seriously opposed to his political views.

Ender's game should be required reading for anyone interested in SF or even just literature in general, it is very thought provoking. I would also recommend "Ender's Shadow" which is the same story told from the perspective of Bean. The sequels to both "game" and "shadow" are less good although in different ways. Card also wrote a book called "Enchantment" which is a truly, wait for it, enchanting bit of time travel romance.

11. Ironhawk Skylord

No. The books last line is "Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" and it translates to something like "Yesterday's rose endures in its name, we hold empty names".

Eco doesn't state what the rose is, but hints in the person gallery first in the book, that the girl the novice Adso encounters might be the rose.

And Adso, who is the story teller, says in the book and in the movie: "She was the only earthly love in my life, yet I never knew, nor ever learned, her name. "

12. Triactus

Media:
    lol, thanks! Though I was kidding. I was making a joke like the book was a whodunnit teenage slasher film. But your answer is pretty good... :lol:

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Heheh! Thanks.

Sorry to ruin your joke though. I'm a little dense at times. :lol:

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a couple of hundred pages into "The Gathering Storm" by Robert Jordan (as written by Brandon Sanderson.

So far, I'm really enjoying it.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Glad to see that I am not the only one with perseverance and hope Snook. I think Sanderson did a great job, dont know how much he actually wrote but if I hadn't known that he was involved I could have believed Jordan wrote the entire thing himself, during one of his good periods when he isnt fascinated by lace or scented baths.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh it was her, I thought it was about something Aristotle-related :/

17. Ironhawk Skylord

Well, Eco left it open for interpretation.

What he has stated he meant with the title was, that from the beauty of the past, now disappeared, we hold only the name.

In this novel, the lost "rose" could be seen as Aristotle's book on comedy (now forever lost), the exquisite library now destroyed, or the beautiful peasant girl now dead.

The novel is a telling of stories within stories.

Which is why I find it so fascinating that I have to read it again from time to time.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My understanding is that Sanderson wrote the entire thing based on notes and meetings with Jordan before he died.

19. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've been looking for this series over and over. I don't think it's in conventional bookshops over here, but I haven't even seen a single book in second-hand bookstores!

I purchased the Three Musketeers today because I was in the mood for some high swashbucklin' adventure. Looking forward to reading it.

20. Ironhawk Skylord

If you like swashbucklin' adventures, you might want look up Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste series.

I think you'll find it interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.