1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

OOTS Party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dmc, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I want to know what Belkar said to the Golems after finding himself ineffective...:)

2. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I shudder to think of the puns Elan made from that :p

3. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Hey, even if daggers are his preferred weapons, it's not all that far-fetched to assume that in his utter rage of futileness he starts flailing around with is arms in a way that he succeeds in scoring a bludgeoning hit here and there. :D

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well - to answer everyone's questions, he cursed fluently and continually and high-tailed it out of there looking for Mr. Bandaid, both to heal his wounds and pound on the golem with his warhammer.

As Belkar is not unintelligent (he may not be wise, but he sure as hell ain't dumb), he made sure to carry a spare mace after that. Roy also made sure to have a blunt instrument after that as well.

Elan was not in a punny mood as he was busy grabbing things from the various shrines, although he was continually amazed at the damage he was taking from doing that over and over -- duh.

BTW, Crucis, the traps are upped in damage, but you might want to up them some more or make them do something other than pure damage. Given the tons of healing potions found throughout this section of the game, I pretty much didn't care what damage they did, as I have more than enough potions to cover this. Elan is such an idiot that I felt no compunction at all in forcing him to loot every shrine.

5. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Having just played a party thru IWD1/HOW/TOTL, I think that I can say that a "problem" with traps in 3e is the difference in numbers of HP. In 2e, HP totals pretty much cap out at around level 10 with only small numbers of HP (1 or 2) added per level above that point. OTOH, in 3e, you get the same dX number of HP (plus any CON bonus) at every single level without change. In the end, 3e characters have so many more HP that it tends to make damage producing traps seem rather lame.

As for the traps in LoS r2, I did increase damage by 50%, but made no other changes. I pretty much did it this way because it was the quickest, easiest upgrade that I could do. I suppose that I could further increase the amount of damage, but after some point it would seem pointless. You either end up with a trap that simply kills outright, or produces damage that can just be healed, if you're willing to ignore it. At some point you have to start adding some secondary effects, such as poison, or confusion, etc. to make the traps nastier. Or have the traps simply trigger nasty spells, such as Horrid Wilting or a Fireball.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Crucis - that's exactly what I meant. Have them trigger something nasty. Pure damage traps makes no sense in 3e unless we're talking first or second level characters. By the time I reach traps, my characters are significantly higher than that and shrug it off. Heck, if Elan can shrug them off, anyone can.

7. dmc

Media:
    Just by way of an update, the Order of the Stick is about to do the time warp again. It's just a jump to the left . . .

So far so good, no major deaths other than Elan and it's a lot of fun using these guys and having to think things through with a single arcane caster (wizard to boot) and a single divine caseter. Heavy melee works most of the time, even though Elan doesn't do much but sing and Haley just shoots arrows.

8. crucis

Actually, DMC, many of my IWD2 parties have only 1 arcane caster and 1 divine caster. It's entirely possible to succeed in IWD2 with such a party. I think that my very first party may have also had a wizard as the mage, rather than a sorc, because IIRC, I wasn't familiar with sorcerers back then and stuck with the familiar ol' wizzy.

9. dmc

Media:
    Took a slight siesta to move my barbarian along in D2. I will go back to this tonight (I am about to descend into the time loop, and I prefer to do that all in one sitting). I can imagine the asides and lame jokes that would be told by Elan and Belkar through all of the time loop deals.

10. crucis

I'm with you on the time loop. It does tend to be rather confusing, even for an experienced player.

11. dmc

Media:
    So I ran the time loop with little problem, although Belkar had some difficulty taking down King Lothar (when done, he shouted "I am a golden halfling god!").

Conceptually, that time loop bit is OK, but I am way bored of it - we need a mod for a guy with a big magic writstwatch who asks the party if they don't just want to set it back 5 days and move on to the next scene.

12. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The most frustrating thing for me in the time loop is all the forced resting, especially on top of waiting for the histachii dude earlier. I don't like having my game time shoot up from 18-odd days to 26+ just from going through Dragon's Eye. I know Targos isn't in danger after Act I, but it still feels like giving Isair and Madae too much time to catch their strategic breath.

-Max

13. crucis

I guess that I've never really bothered to worry about the day count.

However, I do agree that it's frustrating to have to wait for Nheero so often. Luckily, if you have a pally in your party, you can skip a lot of the waiting. You can also skip some waiting if you don't bother giving Nheero the sabotaged potion (and give up the XP) and just use it immediately. It was really, REALLY frustrating for my in my most recent party which didn't include a paladin, I let Nheero have the potion first and went thru all the motions.... man, oh man, was that tedious and annoying ... waiting for Nheero to go on his little histachii walkabout, then to wait for him to research Thoraskuss' love of disguises and Feyrs, and so forth and so forth. Dragon's Eye in IWD1 was much more fun when you didn't have to worry about this sort of crap, and you could just kill (pretty much) everything in your path to complete the area.

14. Umex Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Amen, brother! After long consideration I decided: IWD1>IWD2
    If only the IWD1 Tutu would be continued/finished.

15. crucis

I won't say that IWD1 is always better than IWD2 (or visa-versa). I played a run of both games last month, and I've got to say that there's something to be said for the relative simplicity of IWD1's 2e characters. You really don't have to worry about Feats or Skills, except for weap. profs for everyone, and skills for thieves. OTOH, there are things about 2e I don't like, such as the racial limitations on class selections, and weapon limitations.

There are certain areas in IWD1 (mostly in HOW) that I don't like because they are SOOOOOOOOOOOO linear. Mind you, the storyline is entirely linear in both IWD1 and IWD2, and I accept that that's just the way it is. But what gets really annoying is how in certain HOW areas, there's only one way in and one way out, and the only path of "movement" thru the area is just one long path without any choice to "go left or go right". Most of the other areas in base IWD1, you aren't forced to go down an entirely singular path thru most areas and there is some room for variation.

Of course, IWD1 has in its favor the fact that you have HOW and TOTL to extend play whereas IWD2 has no such add-ons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.