1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hammer of knocking

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by vekonis, Jan 6, 2010.

1. vekonis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i was wondering about something the other day, it seems to play through bg2 you really have to have some form of lock opening ability to get some of the more nice items imo. it's tough because yoshimo sort of splits on you, i have never care for imoen as she is just so whiney and i have never been that big of a fan of nalia either. so i was thinking is there a mod out there that would implement an item called like a Hammer of Knocking 3x a day casts Spell Knock. i would LOVE to have an item like this as it would open opportunities for myself to play through with odd ball characters that i have always wanted to try, like solo the game as a pally but it gets so frustrating without this type of item. does anyone know of a mod that has this or something similar? or is there anyone out there who could make it? i would think it would be fairly simple to do but i know nothing about modding. any help would be appreciated.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Give Aerie a hammer -- oh, wait Hammer of Knocking, not Hammer of Knocked-Up. Well, you'd need the expansion anyway....

More seriously, isn't that what Crom Faeyr is for? With a 25 strength you can pretty much open any lock -- does it work with chests as well?

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'm not at all an ace on mods but you may want to consider using an scroll of knock or 2 to put it in your favorite mage(s) spell book.

Not the ideal solution I know but it is one that is workable.

Though you still have to have detect trap (monks maybe?) and pickpocket (bards) skills to worry about.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] ... or play a thief...

5. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I perfectly reasonable suggestion 8people, but there are so many other good kits and classes that you only get access to (provided you don't cheat) via the protagonist that it seems like a waste to go with a thief.

Plus I would have to give up working for Bodhi..... before she betrays you.

I have been thinking over trying a dual-classed fighter to thief protagonist though. Decent weapons & fighting skills with thief abilities.

6. vekonis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

thanks

i appreciate all of the feedback guys and i am aware of most of those things however i wanted a hammer like that more so for the ability to play through the game Solo with a non thieving class IE paladin/monk mostly for the role play experience and it seems to me the one thing that is preventing me from doing it realistically is the locks by the time i get crom faeyr which the monk cant use i have missed hundreds of locks that prob cant be broken with 18 str

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] pplr, you can also just make one as a backup character. Either via multiplayer or console.

I generally tend to look at things from a tradeoff point of view, so yes, there are plenty of awesome classes to play with, but there will always be a disadvantage.

There are also plenty of strength potions that raise up strength to 25 and I can't think of any locks on the top of my head that can resist that.

I tried to find a specific tutorial on adding abilities to items for you, Vekonis, but can't find one that's still live yet.

8. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    8people

How do you console (create?) someone into your party?

For some reason the multiplayer option for my SoA hasn't worked and I don't know why.

On the plus side the game has a wide variety of people you can add to your party already in it (is this what you meant by console?)-that is part of why I started putting together the non-intended party member thread earlier.

Yes you have to pick and choose, part of life but I think some of the kits are just too worth trying to stick with a thief all the time.

9. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] you can summon people via console and use hot keys to get them into the party. Or you can get little tools to make PCs into NPCs so you can summon them to use.

There are also plenty of mod NPC thieves, they are one of the more prolific classes out their so if a specific NPC annoys you, there is probably a replacement for anybody that can do the job just as well.

As to multiplayer, apparently a lot of anti-virus and Vista combinations dislike older games with multiplayer and decide to give it a bad day, could be something like that?

10. Paromin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cheat in a Crom Faeyr and use it only for bashing locks.

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't know if that item exists from fan mods, sorry, but if you give yourself around a hundred scrolls of Knock via SK and use the potion trick (pause, drink a potion from an inventory slot, replace slot with Knock scroll, unpause, voila you can cast Knock, even works on Wizard Slayers) you should be able to cast Knock spell when you want it.
    You'll have to enforce your own 3-scrolls-per-day only limitation, tho.
    I think some locks will hold even against Str 25, iirc.
    The Cowled Wizards will come for you regardless of your class if you cast arcane spells in Athkatla, btw.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  12. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

25 STR gives only 80% chance of success in bashing stuff up, whatever that means in actual game terms. For example, are locks such that you might be able to bash them after several retries or is it either 100% success or 100% failure, depending on the lock in question? Or does it roughly equal 80% skill in lockpicking?

13. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] May need a couple of knocks ;) As far as I'm aware bashing works differently to lock-picking. I've bashed things easily when lock-picking hasn't worked.

14. Paromin Gems: 2/31

I remember being able to bash locks in by repeated attempts at it in vanilla BG1 with 18/something STR. Didn't work on all locks, at least not after only less than a minute or two of having a go at them.

15. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

So it's as I assumed - your STR score sets an upper limit on what you could THEORETICALLY be able to open by repeatedly clicking on stuff, while the actual bashing process involves a roll of a dice behind the scenes.

So the question becomes: Are the locks that require high lockpicking skill *also* the hardest to bash or do the locks have separate, possibly differing requirements for lockpicking and bashing?

16. Minstrel Wandering Gems: 2/31

Dear friend, you can improve Yoshimo's lockpicking abilities as he travels with you (for as long as he does, anyway).

For both Yoshimo and Imoen, there is a Waukeen's Promenade bonus merchant that sells a powerful ring that gives heavy thieving bonuses. In addition, you can also stock up on potions of thievery, which temporarily enhance your lockpicking skill, and their effects stack!

Or, as mentioned, just bring a backup thief. You shouldn't need much more than a pick lock skill of 100 to get you through BGII...

17. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    That sounds a bit like what I've done.

I read through some of the mods and can appreciate the characters some add (which were in short supply at times otherwise).

I'm pretty sure it isn't Vista (I have made the conscious choice not to use it on my most current computer). But I don't know if it is a similar problem. Would such a problem be able mess with the game even if you tried to do a multiplayer game just on your own computer using party members you designed and added to the game?

Thanks for trying to help nonetheless.

Minstrel, at least in the vanilla game the potions don't appear to stack (as measured by drinking one and then looking at the % chance of success) for undoing traps and I thought the same for picking locks, not pockets though (big plus there).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.