1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite Dragon Age Origin?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Dec 31, 2009.

?

What is your favourite Dragon Age origin?

1. Dalish Elf

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Mage

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Human Noble

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. City Elf

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Dwarf Noble

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. Dwarf Commoner

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Dragon Age Origins stands out because of the different prologues that we get to play through when entering the game. As you probably already know there are six of them and they offer a different outlook on the game world and are thus more than tutorials.

I've decided to make a poll to find out which are your favourite origins and why you've enjoyed playing a particular origin more than the others.

What follows is not a spoiler but my opinion on my favourite origin after finally playing them all (I mean all origins as I haven't completed the game 6 times!) :tobattle:

The Dwarf origins are really good and both feel really epic. I like the way the Noble origin immerse you in the "action" and the way the Commoner origin brings all the faults of Dwarven society home. If the Noble origin is as good as the Commoner then I'm in for a real treat since Origins like the Dwarf Commoner origin not only provide a background, they colour your entire game.

In comparison the Human Noble origin is rather bland. I haven't completed my playthrough yet and I expect some very good things down the road but I really think that if we just consider the prologue it pales in comparison to the Dwarf Noble origin (which really made you feel like playing a prince of the realm whereas the Human Noble origin was more like playing a spoiled brat).

I'm really fond of the City Elf origin which was the first I've played. It stands out because you play a regular character (at first) who becomes embroiled into something that forces him/her to take action. You're not a Mage, you're not a Noble, you're not the defender of your clan, you're just an elf who tries to get by. IMO playing such a character who is by definition an unlikely hero is rather satisfying as it is easier to relate to such a character.

I enjoyed City Elf and Dwarf Commoner a lot, Dwarf Noble is epic in its own right. It's rather hard to pick a favourite origin and I guess I would have to go with City Elf with Dwarf Commoner a close second.

I like playing the underdog. :D

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about the mage one? I liked it a lot, and I've played all except the human noble one.

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I didn't mind the human origin as much once I completed the game. You have a few more options on what you can at the end of the game because you are a human noble.

I enjoyed the Mage origin; it helped explained magic in the game and how it works within the world. I thought it was a very cool way to introduce magic to a new game world.

I just started the Dwarf noble origin and it isn't all that bad but I did not like how things were force on you at the very end. I will learn more as I play the game and return to Ozzamar after completing the attack on Ostargar.

My next play through will be as a dwarf commoner, than a Dalish elf and finally a common elf.

Hopefully by the time I play the common elf we will be hearing word about DA2.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm not that fond of mages... They really make the game too easy. A low level mage can already dish out insane amounts of damage (including friendly fire) it seems a bit overkill to me (I'll probably end up playing my Mage on Nightmare instead of hard because of that). I know it makes sense in a setting in which magic is so powerful. The number of different spells open many options though and the Mage origin is rather good (I would probably have enjoyed it more if I liked playing Mages more) and it does provide some insight on magic and the Fade.

Good to know about the Human Noble, thanks for confirming this. I knew there had to be more to it. I guess running around so long without Noble Clothing annoyed me more than I thought. :D

All origins force you to join the Grey Wardens. Most of the time it's either join us or die. It's a bit extreme, I was glad that the Dwarf Noble origin didn't use exactly the same line as the other origins. I found rather cool the way you finished this origin
    but I would have liked more fighting in the Deep Roads before meeting up with Duncan.

The part when the king confronted my character was rather fun as Trian had been beheaded by my character (I don't know if it was random or scripted) and that made the whole situation more than embarrassing, the accusation rather believable and the evidence quite obvious.

Going back to Orzammar as a Dwarf Commoner is very interesting so I bet it must be even more so as a Noble. I may put my Human Noble on hold just to find out. :)

Having to wait for ages to go back to the Alienage is frustrating when you play a City Elf, at least you don't have to worry about that with a Dwarf as you can go back to Orzammar right after Loithering. In my first playthrough as a City Elf my character was rather concerned about going back and my own curiosity about what had happened really made that part even more enjoyable.

Another thing that I really like about origins is the fact that some NPCs play very important roles in some origins and it is quite funny to run into them in another playthrough and see how their parts in the story change because of the different perspective. There is a lot more to this game than can be expected after only one playthrough.

5. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

Voted city elf for it's awesomeness.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I voted city elf pretty much for the reasons carad described. I really liked the Mages one too, however. Couldn't help but feel sorry for Jowan despite everything. I mean they are forcing him to be stripped of all human emotion after all. Not much I wouldn't have done myself either to get out of that situation (even though I suspect he was dabbling with blood magic even before he learned what was going to happen to him).

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I voted dvarven noble because of the treachery involved, but have since reconsidered. City elf indeed is even more sinister. I am now playing human noble rogue and elven mage simultaneously. I like the way you revisit your respective pasts in the game.

One has to give to Bioware that they did really good work on either origin.

8. Thalyr Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I've played through all of them, but am just getting into playing the full game. Maybe if they didn't offer achievements I wouldn't be so inclined to do everything possible before even getting into the game. I have enjoyed all of them, except Dalish elf. It just had me wanting more. Though that might be because they're the most like your typical arrogant elves from most RPGs, which I hate so I wouldn't want to play a Dalish even if the origin was awesome.

I think my favorites are Human Noble and City Elf. Both are the fight for your life, but I like the feel of City Elf more because you start with almost no equipment and have to find it while stile fighting your way through. I also enjoy how gender plays a role in how the origin plays out at least in the ones I've played multiple genders for (City Elf and Human Noble)

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So far I've only tried Mage, Human Noble, and both flavor of Elves. The first minute or so of Dwarf Noble, but not enough to really know what's going on. I think all were very well done. Human Noble, as others have said, I find a bit predictable and cookie-cutter. There seems to be no conflict, no real moral dilemma or hero's trial. Still, fitting. The Dalish Elf is kind of a dick, but I like that too.

I found myself the most involved emotionally with the City Elf origin. This one had the best sense of purpose and justice, and certainly the best "unlikely hero" story arc. Seriously...those human nobles really pissed me off.

I have yet to play the dwarves, so this may change - but so far I have to say City Elf is the most interesting origin. I still do quite like the Human Noble, though. It has the best 'paladin' origin feel to it, and I tend to like those.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have only been playing the Dalish Elf so far so I can't vote on a favorite yet, but I don't see many comments on the Dalish Elf origin, so I was wondering if it's comparatively lame or just hasn't been played. I found the origin played to my interests, so have enjoyed it.

I'm not sure why you think the Dalish Elf is a dick DR. Sure you can choose lots of dickish responses (you certainly don't have to be a dick), but is that unique to the Dalish Elf?

11. Caradhras

Media:
    In the Dalish origins you're forced into doing things that show a certain lack of judgement.
    Like following your silly companion, explore the cave and let him play with the mirror whereas your spider sense was tingling all the while.
    I happen not to mind that but it's a bit formulaic compared to the others.

Moreover, you're bound to compare the Dalish origin to the City Elf origin and it's hard for the Dalish to compete. Still, if you find the Dalish culture cool and you like the way they look and stand out in game you will enjoy it. It's not lame, there are some nice details in some conversations later on (I'm currently playing a Dalish archer while waiting for Return to Ostagar) but it's certainly not as good as City Elf.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @BTA,

I guess that isn't exactly what I meant; I meant dickish in that it seems almost tailored to go down the "Elves are superior and I owe Humanity a debt of pain" route which, given the lore Bioware has established for Ferelden, more than makes sense. This furthermore makes it very plausible, from a roleplaying perspective (and the dialogue options available), to play the character as very standoffish, arrogant and distrustful of all non-elves (or even city elves as well, who some Dalish would no doubt consider Uncle Toms). So definitely a dick, but in a xenophobic, chip-on-the-shoulder kind of way. I like the idea of a character who starts out with this attitude and is turned around by the positive influence of his majority-human comrades and the sense of duty earned through becoming a Grey Warden.

For those reasons - I disagree with Caradhras that the Dalish route is "certainly not as good" as the City Elf. They are both very well suited to a particular type of character psyche, depending on how you see yourself playing the character. The city elf becomes strong through tragedy, while the Dalish elf had to grow up strong and is now being tested. Both offer a rich playing experience.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    DR makes some very interesting points about the Dalish. I think that the Dalish Elf who starts as a racist Shemlen hater and then grows to get a better understanding as a Grey Warden is clearly what the devs had in mind (although you can keep up the Dalish attitude should you choose to).

I agree that the City Elf is clearly the underdog for both Humans and the Dalish. I like the "chip on the shoulder" thing when playing a Dalish Elf but I personally find it more satisfying to play a City Elf because, to borrow the phrase from Arcanum, the City Elf is a perfect "Nietzsche poster child" illustrating the what does not kill you makes you stronger line perfectly well.

DR's use of the term "Uncle Toms" stresses an analogy that can be made (provided we don't take it too far) between Elves and Black slaves in American history. The Alienages and the ancient Elvish lore also establish a parallel between Elves and Jews (Alienages being similar to Jewish Ghettos in medieval Europe). One could also compare the Dalish to any semi nomadic native culture (like some Amerindian peoples).

I really like playing Elves because they get all the good lines when confronting humans (especially human nobles) so you can definitely play one as being revengeful and filled with hatred for humanity. I like the City Elf better because it brings a more complex component in that the city Elf has to contend with everyone else (humans who berate them or at best consider them to be pretty but don't see them as real persons... and the Dalish who look down upon them although they'd be ready to take them in and make them Dalish). Not only that, but the City Elf also has to contend with himself or herself. There are some points where the character is given the opportunity of making a choice between standing up for his or her people or giving in to oppressors. It may never be an issue for most players who would just discard these options without a second thought but if you really get in character you may find these choices really hard to make. Would you sacrifice others for your own advancement and take the easy way out?

I like antiheroes and unlikely heroes best and the City Elf origin is certainly grimer and grittier than other origins (with the exception of the Dwarf Commoner who nevertheless doesn't have to contend with racism during the entire game).

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only played the mage origin and I did it as an elf which I am starting to regret now. The mage origin was so so, gave me an RP excuse for being interested in the setting's "dark magic" and a general drive to "free" magic. All in all the mage origin was so so, would have been fun if there were two different mage origins, circle mage and wild mage or something.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

That is the same thing I was thinking. It would have been nice if the human Mage was an apostate. This would have made the mage stories more interesting.

16. Evilblood Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Played a city elf, Dwarf Commoner and Mage Origins. Have to say City elf is my choice. The starting abilities, talents and skills with the exception of those 2 silly points in magic are useful for a great dual wield warrior.

17. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    voted dwarf noble

I liked both dwarf origins theyre pretty cool, but I havent continued the game with the characters though as I dont like dwarfs in general.

the Dalish elf never gripped me, I havent even completed the origin.

The city elf was pretty cool, but the character (a skilled elf warrior who has spent most if not all of his life in the alienage where weapons are forbidden and yet has these excellent martial skills) seemed too unlikely to me.

18. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    City Elf for me, I love the brutality of it.

19. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Dalish Elf.
    I liked the atmosphere.

Though I haven't played Dwarf Noble yet.

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Mage, by default.
    +1 for the an apostate origin, sucks there isn't one.

Actually I heard that there were plans for barbarian origins (and possible a wilder mage origin) but they abandoned it early.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.