1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My New Character

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] I just created the character that's gonna take my through BG1,TotSC,BG2, and ToB. He's an elven fighter/mage. I made a killer roll on his stats, check them out:

18/95 str
    19 dex
    17 con
    18 int
    3 wis
    18 chr

Heh, pretty good, eh? I kept him in armor until he had enough spellpower to hold his own in combat. I'm in the xvart encampment right now. He's level 3/3 and has 4 first level spells(ring of wizardry) and 1 second level. I stole that sword off of Drizzt(frostbrand) so now I'm just as good with a sword as with a bow(bow is composite long bow +1)! Got the bracers of AC 8 and a a ring of protection so I have an AC of 3 without armor. When I cast shield it drops down to -1 so I'm not having any problems. Sleep spell is working wonders,(it sucks in BG2) I can put anything to sleep with it. Also I have mirror image which I cast when underfire. Oh by the way I have 30 hitpoints. Do you have any suggestions for me when I take him into BG2? Or even any for right now in BG1? Any feedback would be appreciated, negative or positive.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 21, 2001).]

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Since you posted it twice but edited the one I replied to, I'll reply here also.

Sorry to rain on your parade, because that's an awesome roll, BUT:
    You do know that with a wisdom of 3, you have a 50% spell failure? (Check the tables if you don't believe me.)
    IMHO, Some of those points for the 18 Char would've been better invested in raising Wisdom...

Other than that, great stats, and good luck with your journeys!

3. Naer Dhal Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you let him go thru BG1 and TotSC, you'll have risen your stats by 1 point (tomes), and you will be about 1 or 2 lvl higher than if you made a new character in BG2. Because BG2 starts you off with about 90.000 exp , and if you finish BG1 and TotSC, you'll have 161.000 devided between classes, so basicly you'll start BG2 a lvl higher, thus taking longer time due to you playing the first ones first. :)

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Um, are you sure? I never had a spell fail in all of BG1 or 2. If you mean like scribing it I just save and load. Most of the time that dosen't happen either. I scribed 8 scrolls in a row without failure so I think you are confused. It is probably talking about priest spells, or it's one of the many things in the manual that they decided not to implement. Anyway in BG2 I don't play on core rules. Saving throws aren't as good, but I'm a mage so I get all those nifty protection spells. Oh, and I'm playing in BG1 because:

1. It's fun
    2. I would like to play through the whle series of games with the same character
    3. I have to buy SoA again, so I can't play it until I do.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited November 21, 2001).]

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not too shabby, esp. the strength part.
    I threw a Similar role with my FC dc.
    18/47 STR
    18 DEX
    18 CON
    CHA 18
    WIS 18
    INT 6

It's not so bad. It's only the best I've ever had, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The wisdom is too bad. of course you can raise it a bit with the tomes but it still is too low. Wisdom is also important for save vs. spells. Find a way to raise it a bit. I would advice to lower strength by one and Intelligence also by one and Dexterity by 2 and Charisma by one, and raise wisdom by 5. With tomes you still can reach a Strength of 18/00), Dex of 18, Constitution of 17, Intelligence of 18 and a Wisdom of 8, wich is a lot better. With the tomes you can even raise wisdom to 11, wich is average.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Hmm, don't your saving throws get better when you level? Nago(that's his name, pronouced nay-go for those of you who haven't played Betryal at Krondor:))has the following saves right now:

Death 11(-2)
    Rod/Staff/Wand 10(-1)
    Petrify/Polymorph 12(-1)
    Breath Weapons 14(-1)
    Spells 11(-1)

I'm wearing a Knaves robe so the death save is a bit better, and also a ring of protection +1 which gives the plus one to all saves.

Are those bad for a level 4/4 F/M? Does anyone know where there is a table that shows saving throw bonuses for wisdom or for leveling?

Also the only NPC I have right now is Imoen, and it's gonna stay that way until I hit the experience cap. Me and the 'lil sis can take on just about everything :). Of course Nago dosen't know that she's his siter yet.

Now I have 6 first level casts, and 2 second levels. Does anyone know where to find the spell scrolls of Melf's Acid Arrow or Annganzar's Scorcher? Can't buy them at the High Hedge so where did you find them?

He's a real tank I just cast Mirror Image and can go one on one with an Orge Bersker:evil:. I also bought that shield amulet at the carnival. I'll start using a shield and drop the bow as soon as I get to level 5 as a mage(3 magic missles) or better yet find those scrolls I mentioned.

I haven't even gone to the Nashkel mines yet, I'm gonna try to do all of the optional maps before I go there.

Should I use GK to change his appearance to mage or do you consider that cheating?

8. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Just to make things clear. The percentage of spell failure due to low wisdom, only refers to PRIEST spells.

I would make him

STRENGHT 18/95 ---> 19 "tome" the dmg. modifier is great.

DEXTERITY 17 ---> 18 "tome" (there is NO benefit from 19 --20 and only one better missile adj. from 18-19. Total waste)

CONSTITUTION: 15 ----> 16 "tome" ( there is no real benefit with the extra HP after 16 since they only apply to your fighter side and is halved.

INTELLIGENCE: 18 ----> 19 tome. Infinite spells per level. No doubt.

WISDOM: 16 ----> 18 tomes. For the mindsave to end at +4 bonus. VERY handy.

CHARISMA: 9 ----> 10 Charisma does a lot. But they are all minor stuff. Less important than surviving. As long as you don't suffer penalties in Charisma you'll survive just fine. :)

Hope this is helpfull. :)

EDIT:

Table:

Ability Score/bonus or penalty

3/-3
    4/-2
    5/-1
    6/-1
    7/-1
    8/0
    9/0
    10/0
    11/0
    12/0
    13/0
    14/0
    15/1
    16/2
    17/3
    18/4
    19/4
    20/4
    etc. max +4 bonus.

The table is on page 137 in the rulebook

EDITED AGAIN:

Using GK to change apperance to mage? No. I have done so myself with my F/M/T he looks ultra cool. :)

Bad saves? No they are ordinary. They are not random. All 4th level characters have roughly the same saves. Except racial and wisdom alteration.

It is great to do all the optional maps. Perhaps you can buy Melf's acid arrow in Beregost. Or in Ulgoth's (SP) far north. You have TotSC installed. Else random encounters have them. You can't get them in Baldurs gate, since you don't continue on the main track. Anyway, you won't miss them that much. :)

Why don't you learn to use a sling? then you can walk with a shield all the time. And have the sling and a melee weapon in your quick weapon slots. Imoen shoots the bow, so she can easily use all the great arrows around.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 21, 2001).]

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Thanks for the info. Well, I'm an elf so I get the +1 with bows and a composite long bow gives +2 to THACO and +1 to damage, while a sling +1 gives +1 to both. Not much of a difference I guess, but slings also get 1 less attack per round. It have 6 magic(RoW ROCKS :) ) missles memorized so those would probably be more effective than a sling since those always hit no matter what. Oh by the way, I just bought the Robe of the Good Archmagi. So now my AC is 0, with the RoP. This guy is kicking some major arse. I'd go solo but I need a theif for all those nasty traps and locks. Wait actually now that I think about it, a mage could just cast mirror image and walk into them and use knock for the locks. But Immy rules! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.