1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

A Game of Thrones. Sworn Sword got me in the mood for a reread (had to borrow it from the library because a friend still has my copy :D )

2. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just finished 'Slaughterhouse-Five'. Wow. So good. Funny, powerful, intelligent--my first Vonnegut. I am eventually going to read all his books, I know this now.

Well, I don't know what to read next. I'll no doubt continue to read Sherlock Holmes and Conan the Barbarian stories online, but as far as an actual book...hmm...

Hmm...

Might be time for a random stroll through the bookstore.

3. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Bram Stoker's Dracula

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

That's a good one, L-NT. Perhaps my favorite "classic" horror novels. It isn't particularly scary, but it is still damn good.

Currently I am reading like 8 books on the Japanese recession of the 1990's for my research paper. Good stuff :thumb: :not:

5. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31

Commercial real estate and zombie banks..! Fun!!

Yeah, I am enjoying Dracula quite a bit. :)

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The first "Witcher" book and I must say that it is enjoyable. Seems to be more a collection of short stories than a novel but the writing is fast paced and entertaining.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Funny, I just got that from a friend and am planning on starting it over the weekend :)

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

The Mouse Guard rpg book.

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just finished Pnin. The story, if summed up plainly, was not at all interesting - but the wordplay, and the central character so vividly painted, makes it a great read nonetheless. Moreso what's amazing is that, like Lolita and Pale Fire, by the last page I was totally in awe and doubting the story I had just read. So, yes - excellent book.

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The Hobbit - Although somewhat slowly. I never seem to be able to find time to read anymore.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The Unseen Academicals, which I think is Terry Pratchett's latest book. Getting fairly close to the end now, but have enjoyed it.

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My reading has been on hold for quite a while, what with Dragon Age taking so much of my free time. I didn't even finish the "Tattoo". I started reading "The Godfather" again, I think I may finish it this time.

13. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Did the book make you an offer you couldn't refuse? :p

14. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Stevenson

:lol:

15. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

I started reading The Pirate King by R.A. Salvator, its not as good as the earlier books but still a good read none the less.

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Zombie Survival guide by Max Brooks.

BTW, I had the geekiest little laugh the moment I read Triactus post.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I just finished The Last Wish and liked it a lot. I'm not sure how much was due to the translator but the style of writing was unusual compared to just about any other fantasy I've read. I was also surprised to find some threads running throughout the book, as I had expected completely unrelated short stories, but it works well. I'd like to start on the novels, but I may wait until a few more have been translated before doing so.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    One has. Blood of Elves. It is waiting on a shelve(all right the floor).

Charles Stross. Yes I never heard of it, but still after Saturn's children I started on the merchant princes serie. A touch of Zelazny like some critics say. Not super best selling but nice enough to justify the time spent.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Finished the Lair of Bones by David Farland. Ordered the next three books of the series on Barnes & Nobles website. Had a giftcard from Xmas. The received the 3rd book, still waiting on the 1st two. Cursed shipper!:( As for the series, after the 1st book, it hasn't really gotten any better, but since I started reading the series, I want to finish it.

---------- Added 17 hours, 42 minutes and 50 seconds later... ----------

And they arrived yesterday. Book 5, Sons of the Oak, surpisingly came in Hardback, though my receipt specifically shows paperback. For $3.00, I'll take that bargain anyday!:)

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'm re-reading all of the Dresden Files -- gotta pick up Small Favour and Turn Coat this weekend. I got my wife hooked on the series, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.