1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Raven Monastery Question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by hootpad, Dec 4, 2009.

1. hootpad Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

So which option yields the most XP?

Siding with one of the monks and taking the challenges or just killing everyone?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can handle this any way you want. If you're greedy ("face it, you're actually neutral evil") you get the best rewards this way:

1) Win the challenges to get allowance
    2) Kill the monks (make sure you've done all quests there and bought what you want from the merchants)
    3) Get the reward from the Duergar and kill them

Don't walk through the Black Raven's tomb before you've done 3) if you want to get the most powerful crossbow in the game.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    So Hootpad, did you expect the answer to be both? ;)

4. hootpad Gems: 3/31

So if I side with them etc etc then go do the challenges, then kill em all, then go back to get my XP from Barud, then kill them. I'm assuming that's what he meant.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Don't forget to buy a certain book provided you have enough gold.

6. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Yea I'm glad you said something haha I forgot it the first time through :(

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Definatly do the quests then go on a killing spree!

Don't forget the thief in the store room. You'll get xp if you threaten him as he'll give you the cooks ring. You can then give this back to the cook for xp and a handful of healing potions

8. hootpad Gems: 3/31

In the 7th chamber how come the monks keep getting up? I'm kinda at a standstill here, do you have to kill all three before the first monk 'wakes up'? because my monk isnt capable of that and i even tried my barbarian and he wasn't either

9. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Hootpad, you can't kill them. It's not the point of that chamber.

The solution to that chamber is to first knock out the first monk on the first pedestal, then IIRC, flip a switch. THEN, after the door opens, you have to knock out (i.e. near death) the 2 monks on the 2 pedestals in the second room (one monk on each pedestal).
    Then after they're both knocked out, go flip the second switch (i.e. the one that glows briefly).

This is a good chamber for a cleric (because the cleric could summon monsters like crazy to help out), although I'm sure that a monk would work fine. It is after all, a monk's monastery. (Actually, if a party doesn't have a monk, I tend to find that clerics are often the best class for most chambers.)

10. hootpad Gems: 3/31

So I have to knock the first one out on the pedestal, pull the top right switch, do the 2nd and third monk the same way, before the first one wakes up? ummm

11. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IIRC, you don't actually have to knock them out on the pedastals, you just need to pull the switch while they're ON the pedestal, and knocking them out is a convenient way to get them to stay still while you run to the switch. So is summoning monsters.

-Max

12. hootpad Gems: 3/31

But my question is this

Once they are knocked out, i pull the switch etc. but they get up while im trying o do the same with the next monk. what am i doing wrong?

13. crucis

Well, if spmdw45 is correct and you only have to maneuver the monks onto each pedestal WITHOUT knocking them out, then I'd say that trying to do this chamber with only a single monk would be rather difficult. It's much easier when you use a class that can summon plenty of monsters, like a cleric, druid, or mage. I suppose that technically you could do it with only a single summons, but I prefer to get my summons to do the fighting and get my summoner disengaged from the melee to pull the switches and/or summon more monsters.

If you try to do this with a monk (or any other class that cannot summon its own allies), you will probably need to be able to knock out both monks at the same time for just long enough to run to the right switch. And I'd imagine that that's rather difficult.

Or perhaps with a monk, you could knock out the first monk and use "stunning blow" to stun the enemy monk on the second pedestal long enough to get to the switch... but I don't know if these monks are susceptible to being stunned by the monk "stunning blow".

14. hootpad Gems: 3/31

I knock them out but they get up within seconds of me pulling the switch. this is so frustrating.

15. crucis

Then you're doing something wrong. IF each of the two monks are on each of the two pedestals in the second room when you pull the proper switch (which is the leftmost switch, BTW), then the room should automatically complete. If the monks are reviving after you've pulled the proper switch, then it'd seem like you're doing something wrong.

16. hootpad Gems: 3/31

It happens when I go into the second room.

It goes kinda like this.

First monk stand on portal, I 'kill' him and pull the top right switch, the second room opens and one more monk attacks, and while he's on the portal the second monk just wakes up out of nowhere and starts attacking me again.

17. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I used barbarian for first three chambers, rogue for the fourth(I think that's the one with sand monks), paladin/sorcereress for the one with spiders, cleric for the one with monks that perform hara-kiri( :p ) and rogue again for the last one(evasion really is a blessing in that one), with barbarian taking care of the last one(figurativelly speaking, of course).

It may not have been optimal use of the resources, but it was a damn fun one :D I like mixing stlyes and this one made me quite giddy. Sorceress killing spiders with combo of Invisibility/Skull Trap was hillarious! It cost me ton of spells, but damn, I had fun with it all the way.

18. crucis

There are two rooms.

The first room has one pedestal, in addition to the switches.

The second room has two pedestals.

The 7th chamber challenge starts with your character in the first room with a single enemy monk.

The second room is only accessible AFTER you are able to keep the single enemy monk on the first room's pedestal and are pull the appropriate switch (the rightmost one, IIRC).

When the second room opens, a second monk is added to the battle.

You know have to maneuver and keep each of the two monks onto each of the two pedestals in the second room, at which time you can pull the appropriate switch in the first room (the leftmost switch IIRC). Note that BOTH monks will be in the second room and on its pedestals when you flip the second switch to complete the challenge. Having one of the monks on the pedestal in the first room doesn't work for completing the challenge.

Honestly, while I have never played a monk, this particular battle seems like it'd be easier with a spell caster to summon up plenty of allies to keep the enemy monks busy. There are only two tricks in this case. One, getting your first summoning spell completed (and not disrupted), and, two, getting yourself disengaged from battle with the monk(s) so that you can cast additional spells without being hassled.

Also, as difficult as this room seems, I've tended to find the room with the spiders, and the final room to be more challenging. But then again, I almost always use a cleric, rather than a monk.

---------- Added 0 hours, 13 minutes and 16 seconds later... ----------

Last time I went thru the challenges, I used my Morninglord for all of the challenges. But in particular, in the spider room, I had my morninglord cast a fire storm spell and then ran right thru the heart of it, believing that whatever damage she might take, it'd be nothing compared to the damage that the spiders would take. And it worked wonders.

Mordokai, without spoiling the 8th chamber, because I don't think that hootpad has played it before, your rogue was really good enough to deal with the 2 monks in the final room?

I've always used a cleric or a sorcerer, and summoned a fire elemental, then either a sanctuary or invisibility spell to avoid being noticed by the monks. The fire elemental dealt with the monks and totally ignored the flame blasts, while my character simply ran around the room trying not to get scorched. The only real challenge to this tactic is not having the elemental summoning spell disrupted, since it takes so long to cast.

19. hootpad Gems: 3/31

Yea I got through the 7th chamber with my monk, the thing that hap me stumped was that I was under the impression that there was going to be three monks. One for each pedastool. And that the first monk was supposed to stay put in the first pedastool while i dealt with the 'other 2'.

Needless to say I was completely wrong. But got it done none the less

20. crucis

Goof for you, hootpad. The final chamber should be less confusing now. Just kill the two monks without getting scorched to death. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.