1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I spent last night playing Borderlands, an RPG-ish EGO shooter in comic style, playing in a Mad Max setting. Looks nice and is great fun, as far as mindless carnage goes ;)

Dragonage was in my mail today, and even though I didn't want to play before I get my SSD I do so anyway and it's installing right now. I'll have a nice evening :)

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Majesty 2, Children of the Nile: Alexandria, The BG Series, Bloodbowl, Perfect World, Master of Olympus: Zeus.

Yeah I got internet back and birthday money, so sue me :p

Still waiting for Caesar IV and Master of Olympus: Poseidon to arrive in the post...

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Rags, is Boderlands worth buying? Or should I rent first? It looked somewhat interesting, with unique visuals.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Heroes of Newerth (HoN). It's an online game based off the Warcraft 3 map DoTA. A lot of the heroes in HoN are very similar to DoTA's, except with completely new identities.
    So far the graphics are great, the background themes are decent, the game runs smoothly despite my connection being a bit laggy. There's a rating system that helps you join matches appropriate to yoour skill level and you can reconnect if you get dc'ed from a game. If you liked DoTA, you'll love this game.
    It's still in its closed beta phase so access is limited, but player vids and screenshots are out.
    Links: HoN homepage

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  5. Ragusa

Media:
    Saber,
    Borderlands is mindless violence, comic style. Good music. I like it. Give it a try.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Borderlands = Diablo with Guns

As a matter of fact, I do still play Borderlands, which comes (and came) a surprise for me, because I haven't heard of it before I got it from a friend. One game at a time, and so I will finish this first, having started it when expecting Dragon Age to be shipped later.

Having spoken of mindless violence, that is not quite true: Intense violence is describing it better. There is a lot of graphic violence and gore; I don't recommend that game for kids younger than 18. And the driving in the game is certainly not safe.

A couple comments on Borderlands: The game is remarkably un-buggy, which was to be expected as it apparently runs on one of the Unreal engines. The quests are mostly fedex-ing, which is ok considering that this is in my impression first of all an FPS and then an RPG. The atmosphere is nice, the comic style graphics are pretty good and stylish. I am pretty impressed by how intricate the maps are; every map is a veritable maze - that means, while you can still navigate around the map fairly easily, in vehicle and on foot, you'll always discover spots you previously overlooked; there are areas you can only access on foot. I find it quite appealing, that behind that corner you passed a couple times, there is another spot to explore (and explode :D ).

Verdict: Good game - entertaining, nicely done, fun. It is also certain to add a lot of fun to a LAN party.
    Caveat: Fairly addictive.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Which console/system do you play it on? I would be playing on the PS3.

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

GTA 4, started just messing around plowing headfirst into things on a motorbike. Going through a rerun of the missions now.

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 about once a week... for marathon lengths (roommate convinces me it is better than sleep sometimes, like last night). Getting Civ IV: Beyond the Sword soon to go with my Warlords expansion, but probably won't spend too much on that. And just a little bit of Final Fantasy VI, say 2-3 hours a week. At most.

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Red Faction: Guerrilla, Dragon Age and World of Warcraft again (Death Knight is such a lazy class).

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Wizardry 8 (again) with Flamestryke's mod (fun, but unbalanced...to the player's favour).

On the console, I'm playing the original Ratchet and Clank for the first time, and I'm having a blast. Oldschool platformers are always fun. :)

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Have just played 'The Path' a psychological horror styled art game. Was actually quite interesting.

13. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I surprised myself when I cracked out oblivion again last night, started a new game and was actually having fun! I think as long as I pace myself I might be able to finish it again :)

Of course I am playing COD4MW2 aswell, mostly MP but I plan on finishing the Single player at some point, I hear its not very long.

Did anyone else buy or try AI Wars? Its a cool Grand strategy space game, really simple sprite graphics, and Rock Paper Scissors balance, but the AI is pretty amazing. You can't simply brute force your way through, since as you take over systems and destroy key AI facilities it ramps up the AI Aggression, meaning more ships of higher techs attacking you more often. And it doesn't just attack you stupidly, it'll launch decoy attacks to draw forces out of position, cloaked ships to harass your economy, it'll flee to bring your ships into range of its bigger guns. Overall a cool game, its always player vs 2 AI opponents, and it has up to 8 player coop, of course the difficulty scales with number of players :p

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finally got around to playing World of Goo. What a lot of fun! Not all that difficult (so far) to solve each stage but those OCD conditions sure make it challenging. I'll definitely have to go back and try for more of them when I finish it. I've already gotten a few of the OCD condition wins, but only a handful.

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Borderlands. A charming game that's fulfilling my trigger-happy tendencies (and strangely, it's rubbing my RP buttons too...)

Got a Mordecai ("BOOM!") and a Lillith. Phasewalking is so fun.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I discovered Civ4 again, was up till 4 am last night :/

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Divinity 2 ego draconis

18. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Panzer General 2 - I found my Ye Olde Game Stash :D

19. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Baldurs Gate and Majesty 2 still, I can't find my Bloodlines CD so I can't play that at the moment :(

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The good old SSI series. I just finished a campaign from part 1. I have played that game way too much. I think I know every scenario by heart. I can only start a 1943 campaign, otherwise it gets too easy by the time you reach the later stages as my troops are way over experienced.

This last run thru, I did start the 1939 campaign. Decisive victory's up until France, then I sat to get the Marginal Victory there so I can get more scenarios played. Thru the Balkans, Crete and the Russians, all Decisive victories. But purposely took another Marginal vicotry in the Sea-Lion scenario in order to defend Western Europe from the Allies. Battled all the way to the Ardennes, where I got the Dec Victory, ending the campaign. With a very experienced core, that scenario is too easy. D-Day and Anzio were fun though, even with experienced troops. The Allies have so much prestige, they really poor it on.

All in all, the Norway Scenario is always my favorite, it's too early in the game to accumlate alot of experience for most of your army, making the mutli-faceted battle a true experience. That is one game I will never stop revisiting.

Allied General doesn't have the same flair for me for some reason, but Fantasy General I found to be quite refreshing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.