1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help gear out our Dynamic duo...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gustavberner, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Gustavberner Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A friend and I are going through BG2 (and eventually TOB) solo.

We have both completed BG2(and TOB) when they were first released, but that was ages ago.

We have started again with the goal of beating the game as a DUO (ie no NPCS or extra characters)

We have installed Bg2fixpack, Bg2Tweakpack, BG2unfinished bussiness.

Our characters are:

Bob the elven fighter/mage
    relies on GM in Katanas with the aim of eventually dual wielding celestial fury/zerths blade (currently just dual wielding katanas of plain)

Thamos the halfeven cleric/ranger.
    currently dualwielding warhammers and flails with the goal of dualwielding
    Flail of Ages and Crom Feyr.

We wonder what would be some good gear to aquire early on and how to best divide the various über gear between us. Do any of you guys have suggestions on how to gear us up?

and are our characters TOB viable. personally I am concerned about whether there are enough goodly katanas to make my char viable. Also do we need a thief to beat TOB?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Make sure your cleric/ranger also has the ability to use maces.

There really is not much overlap in the two for items. Bob will have the robe of Vecna, amulet of power, bracers AC3, cloak of mirroring, girdle of inertial barrier (or fire giant strength), boot of speed, circlet of Nethril, ring of wizardry and ring of gaxx. With only two characters you should have ample money to buy the robe and bracers early on. Consider taking specialty in staff as well.

For Thamos, get dragon armor (all are good and each has it own advantages), boots of speed, cloak of displacement/sewer/reflection then shift to montolio's cloak, the best gauntlet to improve weapon skill (extrordinary specialization being the best), helm of defense is very useful early then shift to helm of the rock, sensate amulet and amulet of seldarine are good, you have a lot of choices with rings -- keep a bunch and use them as appropriate for the task. Your choice of armor will depend on whether you use stealth or not. Be sure to keep the illithium and make the Improved Mace of Disruption.

The helm of Vhailor may come in handy for a two person party.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Without cheating, how does Bob get Grandmastery?

4. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

G3 Tweak Pack would be my guess.

Is it still cheating if everyone does it?

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't. But I agree its not like he's giving his character a special ability Timestop or anything, so...

Katanas are actually one of the more viable weapons out there (SoA->ToB) although it loses some of its power as you approach the end. In any case both of you will end up having more proficiency *'s than you know what to do with so just invest those in Long Swords and Maces, as suggested.

Your main problem would be dividing accessories (rings, belts and amulets) and special items. For the rest you'll only be using robes (while the R/C uses heavy armor) and you'll be using bladed weapons (while the R/C uses blunt ones). I think its best if you give him the items with special effects he can't duplicate with his spells and vice versa.

I think you'll end up with more items tho because of R/C restrictions.

6. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Flail of Ages is quite easy to get your hands on near the beginning of the game. As for hammers; there's a nice hammer that does some lightning damage below the Temple District. Someone earlier mentioned maces, but besides ONE mace in particular, they're not that great, in my opinion. Maybe stick a point in maces and another in clubs. There's two rather good clubs in and around Trademeet. Lastly, don't count out quarterstaves for either of those characters. You can't dual-wield them but there's some really good ones out there you might want to keep your eye out for. Also, you can get a few good ones REALLY early in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.