1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To me, New Moon means I shaved my butt before a party.

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by LKD, Nov 26, 2009.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I hate the new wave vampire wangst crap. In particular, I really hate the whole Twilight phenomenon. I should support a fellow Mormon, but I really don't. I suppose she deserves kudos for getting huge segments of the youth market to read, but nonetheless, I think the entire series is crap. Pardon my bluntness, S.V.P.

In any event, I'm not the only one. One of my favorite columnists wrote the following -- the link to his entire column is here.

<emphasis mine>
    Preach it, brother!

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
  2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

New Moon to me is the new album from Swallow the Sun.

I could write pages on how much I hate the Twilight craze, but it is Thanksgiving, I am tired, and it isn't worth it because no fangirls will listen :p

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I've had some friends who aren't Twilight mad,but still read the books try and explain to me why its good...and well I just don't GET it. If someone has the guts to stand up and explain in sensible terms why these books are worth reading, and what makes them good, I will listen, if you even slightly convince me to risk it I will go out and get the first book and read it! :)

Come on Fan girls/boys...CONVINCE ME!!! :D

Fake edit: Just trying to encourage some debate over this :p

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    No argument here. I could still understand the interest in Anne Rice's novels and the adaptation by Neil Jordan but I can't relate to the Twilight phenomenon.

I feel like quoting one of the best lines from John Carpenter's Vampires:

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Twilight is ****ing horrible.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wouldn't mind having the money they made from Twilight or New Moon....

7. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I saw New Moon last night. It was awful. I haven't read the books, but according to my wife who has, I didn't miss much in terms of context. Also, Bella's actress can't act for a dime...or nickel...or penny. Terribad applies well, I think. She hadn't improved since the first one. If you are into males sexually, however, all of those that did at the theater were gasping when Jacob took his shirt off, each time.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I would go see it if Bella's actress followed Jacob's lead :D

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

With my roommate and his gf explaining everything to me, I can kind of understand the appeal, but I just don't like it much. Mostly because they told me how the series ends and such and it get's pretty lame.

10. Saber

I think I discredit the books because I could only believe that they were in love in the 3rd book, which means that all the crap they go through in the first 2 is unbelievable for me.

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

All I can say is whoever did their marketing and advertising campaigns was a genius. I was in Spain when the first one came out and I still saw it all over.

Made me curious enough to see it when I was bored. It was so bad that it got amusing how bad it was. What I DON'T like is the fact that all the kiddies for some reason think that it's awesome.

I remember this scene where the vampire guy stares at her at night when she's about to sleep while he's ignoring her and then when they both admit they're into each other, she tells him she thinks she dreamt he was there and he admits he was stalking her and she thinks its romantic. What. The. Fcuk.

This is the shi+ that I'm going to have to deal with my 13 year old sister? She'll probably start bringing in emo strays or something.

I'd rather let her watch the Lost Boys.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

To be fair, a lot of stuff written for kids looks really, really bad in later years. For example, I used to love the Hardy Boys when I was 8 years old. Reading one today, I ask "what kind of moron was I?"

I think the same can be said of these books -- cheesefest central. But are they really worse than Harlequin Romances that adult women read? Or the Mack Bolan books I read when I was 13 or 14?

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I don't know whether I am lucky or living underneath a rock, but, not counting this thread, I saw only 2 commercials for this New Moon fungle, and only in newspapers... It's probably similar to Harry Potter isn't it?

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... except in quality.

15. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps I should have put a smilie behind that remark :p

16. Saber

Well, the HP movies aren't very good, but even the acting in those (which is appalling) is significantly better than in Twilight.

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I never understood the appeal of Harry the potter either. He's just an annoying brat who despite acting like an underachiever is the best wizard ever. Talk about cutting corners...

Besides I never liked the idea of the superhuman Harry represents. He is a powerful wizard because he was born like this, not because he worked hard. Talk about teaching kids the value of effort...

Anyway, I never liked how the dichotomy between magic users and muggles (iirc) was implemented. It was certainly to bring to the fore the question of racism but as it is presented it seems that purity of blood defines magical talent hence it gives that distinction between humans some sort of justification.

I may be reading too much into this but that was my impression after reading the first book (not badly written if a bit bland) and seeing one movie (the one with Kenneth Branagh who was very funny and made it watchable for me).

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    2 things.

1. How dare you dis the Harry Potter movies.

2. For your enjoyment

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't read or seen any Twilight book or film but I am sure they are terrible. But what isn't that is made and consumed by the young? I remember I absolutely adored, worshiped Edding's "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" in my teens. I read them again and again. I tried to reread them as an adult and I instantly regretted. All my fond memories were shattered, the books were awful. People tend to develop more discerning taste as they get older and have more to compare with. Let the young girls fawn over the emo vampires, it will not hurt and who knows? It may be the first step for them into the world of other kinds of fantastic fiction of better quality. Today Twilight tomorrow Malazan, who knows. :)

20. Saber

But not only teens read them - women in their 30's and 40's salivate over Edward just as much as their daughters...

Luckily, Rob doesn't buy into the whole thing - he thinks the relationship between the two main characters is unhealthy: hopefully that will shatter some young (and old) hearts:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.