1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Torchlight

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Proteus_za, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I'm surprised no one has made a thread on this yet! In case you havent heard of it, Torchlight is a game made by Runic Studios, which is formed of the lead guy on a game from 2005 called fate, the Schaefers formerly from Blizzard North, and the remains of Flagship studios (14 employees, so I hear).

I was tempted to post this in World of Blizzard, because of the game's heritage, and also because once you start playing it, it becomes obvious that this game is like the twin brother of Diablo that was a family secret until now.

Its very much true to the Diablo formula, in many ways its more Diablo I than Diablo II. There only three classes - Destroyer (Warrior), Vanquisher (Rogue) and Alchemist (Mage). All levels are randomly generated, and there are no above ground levels. Only one massive dungeon. There's the main quest dungeon, which is 30 levels or so, plus the side dungeons (a literally infinite number), and once you have finished the main game you can continue deeper into the dungeon, again potentially infinitely.

Its all about loot and levelling, story is admittedly a little too thin. But its still addictive as hell. Its also very good value for money - I mean its £15.

One drawback is no multiplayer, but apparently the game is designed to be easily modded so people are already working on it. And its made to run as wide a variety of systems as possible, so it should work nicely even on old PCs. Of all the would be Diablo clones, this one is probably the best.

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it before.

If it's as fun (well, addictive :p ) as Fate and FUR (Fate: Undiscovered realms), I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. All I need to find is time that could use nuking...

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Interesting, sounds like old school Diablo alright. ;)

4. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm having a blast with Torchlight (and I'm not a big Diablo fan).

The classes are somewhat customizable, and probably will be more so when the toolset launches.

Shows a lot of promise. And it's a hoot to play.

-D

5. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Torchlight is a really good game and I've been having a blast with it; until a few minutes ago.

I approached the "Stairs Down" and there was an enemy on the "other" side. He dropped some gold and I went to retrieve it and got stuck there. The character will not go down the stairs or move out of that little area. So I got out of the game to my desktop. Got back in and the game restarted at the same point. :flaming:

I've sent a message to Runic Games support but haven't gotten a response yet.

Has anyone run into this yet?

Update: The looooong way around. I am able to portal back to town. At that point, returning through the portal only brings me back to the same point. But, going through the Waygate and walking all the way back will get me around it. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I've been playing Torchlight for a good while now. Pre-1.2b (which is the real patch number now) it had a few really crippling bugs - mostly relating to crashes and enchanting - but now it's still a bit rough but much better.

Take note though - you want either the Steam or site version. D2D or Perfect World aren't horrible either, but some distributors get the game patched really late - and if you don't already use either Perfect World or D2D, you'll be waiting longer for the patches.

It's a simple but addictive Diablo 2 clone. Well worth the 16eur/20usd.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Torchlight is superfun. I've been playing a Vanquisher with dual pistols, because dual pistols are just that much cooler.

About the stuck-in-wall problem: I had it too, but I was totally stuck without any way of portalling. For future reference to unfortunate gamers, you can enable cheats and use ASCEND to go up a level, which will get you unstuck. I have a feeling doing this resets your gold to 100, though... (not sure, maybe I just spent too much money without noticing)

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Started playing this game recently - bought it on Steam in one of their deals. Great fun, but stupidly easy, and I normally suck at games. I'm on level 22-ish of the dungeon, and one-hit-killing almost everything, even without the help of Pooch (now a cat; the name doesn't make sense any more), my robot or my 5 imp things, any of which are easily capable of killing loads of enemies on their own. Maybe I should have gone for hard...

9. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    The game is on holiday sale now for those who are interested.

I was hoping to play the game in netbook mode on my MSI Wind U100, but unfortunately I thing the graphics controller is too weak. A shame really, this would have been a great game for once a week playing :)

I did install it on my pc. Nice game, although some things were too obviously ripped of from Diablo. I mean, even the music sounds familiar (first village anyone?)!

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Actually, the music had exactly the same people behind it as Diablo 2 music.

That's why it sounds familiar.

Most of it isn't developers ripping off things from others... because Torchlight and Diablo 2 share a bunch of developers.

11. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I thought as much.

I wonder, was the tune intentionally made to sound like the Diablo 2 music, or was it lack of inspiration?

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nice pick up for an in between big games title. Done.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.