1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite weapon style

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Montresor, Nov 5, 2009.

?

What is your favourite weapon style?

1. Single weapon! That's all I need.

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Sword and shield, to also protect myself.

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Dual wielding. Twice as good.

44 vote(s)
    53.7%
  4. Two handed weapons for me!

15 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. Ranged weapons: Bows and arrows, darts, slings, etc.

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    What is your favourite weapon style?

I'm a sucker for dual-wielding. One weapon good, two weapons twice as good!

2. Fred the archer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ranged weapons are my flavour, put a tank upfront to hold the baddies away while my archers pumps them full of arrows.

My present party consists of:
    PC, Dwarfen fighter with shield, war hammer and Azuredge. - Main tank, that can put in a good throw with Azuredge to soften them up before they get a taste of the war hammer. If he needs any help Anomen and Minsc drops their Sling/Long bow.

My back line is: Jahira Dual Archer/Cleric - Tansheron bow
    Immy Dual Bounty Hunter/Mage - Light crossbow of speed.
    Nalia Sorcerer - Tuigan Bow

Not many foes stands for more than a few rounds, then I get back to assemble the Gesen bow, then .....

3. Kieran Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like sword and shield. Shields can give you a few good bonuses to your defence even if it's not quite as damaging as 2-handed weapons.

I find dual-wielding is a bit of a pain as you have to put quite a few proficiency points in 2 weapon style to make the off-hand decent.

Ranged weapons are good but I generally save them for my rogues, priests and mages while the warriors handle the melee.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The two-handed weapons are the best in the game -- only they have +6 enchantment. I've had the easiest time with:

Sarevok -- Halberd (Deathbringer assault plus insta-kill of Ravager ...)
    Paladin -- Two-handed Sword (especially with the Carsomyr bug-fix)
    Jaheira -- Spear or Staff

For a thief, having staff is quite devastating.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dual-wielding for anyone who can put more than 1* in the style.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I prefer Sword & Shield. My envisionment of the true hero is the Plate-Armoured Knight wielding his sword in one hand and fending off the Dragon's fiery breath with his shield in the other. Then smiting his foe down and raising both sword & shield above his head, roaring in victory!

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Dual wielding, definitely. It sucks how much the off-hand suffers though, so I usually wait until later in the game, when I can have multiple* in two-weapon proficiency. Plus, the shield at the beginning of the game helps prolong my usually minuscule life.

8. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Two Handed all the way.

Ravager & Silver Sword make quick work of minions, Soul Reaver makes bosses ineffectual, Holy Avenger turns a paladin into a tank, Staff of the Ram allows thieves to backstab for ludicrous damage.

Plus there are good two-handed weapons from the start and throughout the game:
    Staff of Rhynn & a Halberd +2 @ adventurers mart, Sword of Chaos in Chez Irenicus and Lilarcor in the sewers.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Minor nitpick - Holy Avenger doesn't turn your pally into a TANK but a whirlwind of berserking ultimate destruction. I know, I know - any beefy melee guy has traditionally been a tank but "tanking" has actually not much to do with the damage you put out, it's about the damage you prevent for the rest of your party.

10. Morthond Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Single Weapon Style. I know it's going to be just me. I like the way it looks :p After that, Sword and Shield and the rest can all go together. I used to like Dual Wielding but for some reason I only use it on Xan nowadays.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] An excellent question which has actually left me in quite a dilemma :(

I simply cannot decide! I guess I shall vote for sword and shield as that is the most common configuration I use.

In real life I tend to be a single weapon kinda of gal, but then again we're talking about a game :lol:

12. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Dual wielding is easily the coolest imo. That's what matters, right?

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Really depends on the character. But I've used Dual Wielding with characters who were barely proficient. Getting bonuses from two weapons can be a boon as well.

14. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    You're right, really depends on the character. Mazzy (for example) should use ranged & 2-handed weapons.

I often have a dual-weapon using main character due to a liking for bastard swords and axes. But like you said it really depends on the character and how you want him/her.

15. Saber

Mazzy should only use short bows and short swords, as she already has *** in both; it would take a while to get her *** in anything else.

16. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Actually, when I pick her up in SoA she often only has 1 in short swords, she is skilled with short bows but not short swords earlier in the game. As I consider that a waste for a fighter (which can use larger swords, spears, halberds, and axes) I often increase her proficiencies in other types of weapons.

The other types of weapons are often better.

I noticed someone picked ranged weapons, not my usual method but I noticed that when over half the party is using them it can actually work pretty well.

17. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Two handed all the way. While dual wielding has the coolnes factor, for me a guy with a sword almost as big as himself is just something that can't be competed with :D

And since in RL I mostly play DnD 3.5 I know that two handed weapons dish out the most damage. I often apply this to BG as well, even if it's not totally true. But the point stands. Most of my tanks put heavy stars into two handed weapons and style.

18. Saber

:doh: I think I have a mod installed that makes her more paladin-like -- sorry!

19. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Actually, if Keldorn is an example short swords aren't used by paladins that much either (he has 2-handed sword in both SoA and ToB, plus 2 each in long sword and bastard sword in ToB).

It could be a mod or, if you are picking up Mazzy later rather than earlier in your game, that your party is high enough level that when you add Mazzy to the party the game levels her up a bit to better match your party. The problem with this is that when a computer levels up an NPC the computer may not pick the proficiencies (and maybe spells for mages) that you would had you.

Anyway it could be mod or something else. Don't forget that the game starts her with a short bow and short sword. Thus it makes storyline sense for her to be skilled in these 2 weapon types even if it is more sensible to give her skills in a more impressive type of weapon.

Alot of storylines act like short halflings should use smaller weapons (thus things labelled "short"), but the effect of this is arming perfectly capable fighters as if they were thieves. Tall or short it isn't hard to figure out how to use a spear.

20. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    There are some really powerful short swords and short bows in BG2, at any rate. Gesen Bow, Tuigan Bow, Kundane the sword of quickness, the Sword of Mask... these are more than a match for a lot of the bigger weapons.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.