1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another run - any wishes?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sir Rechet, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

[​IMG] A weekend with pretty much nothing coming up and my own computer not available.. so I figured I might as well do another run of IWD2 on a laptop.

Anything you guys would like me to test during the run? :)

I was thinking of trying a party with NOTHING BUT deep gnomes this time. Main purpose is to set a benchmark on how much the overall +3 ECL penalty affects the final reachable level. Theory says: not much at all - accuracy of which I'm specifically testing now. I'll start with a party of six to conform with the way most :confused: people play, ie. no adding fresh noobs along the way. I'm planning on doing yet another run later on with all zero ECL (apart from one DG) for the other extreme.

I'll be using the standard EXP table, not the "always some exp for kill" ones I use normally. Absolute max exp is strived for - non-critical NPCs will be 'dealt with' after they've served their purpose, quests will be delayed until latest possible moment to avoid getting less exp for kills in the area and so forth.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would like to hear your opinion or results with a DG Monk/Sorcerer. I started to Solo one, but got sidetracked and never returned to it. WIth 6 characters, any build is viable I guess. Just looking for some expert advice.

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Try a build we havent seen before and let us know what it performs like. Pity it will be almost impossible to avoid exp penalties with such a party. One party I thought of doing was a drow war party - 3 wizards and 3 clerics. One of the clerics would probably be a druid/cleric I suppose.

4. Sir Rechet

Ouch. Monk and Sorcerer have pretty much diagonally opposite requirements for their stats, as you'd like at least decent STR and CHA while not letting DEX or CON suffer too much either. Especially tough on a Deep Gnome with the -2 STR and -4 CHA to go along with it.

While I do need at least one member with maxed CHA (for maxed quest exp), the Monk levels disqualify the character for becoming the party's spokesman. So I'd still need another. :p

Edit: I'll have to steer clear of EXP penalties since I'm specifically checking the amount of exp levels gained for an all-out ECL party. Having any one of the characters fall behind in level would effectively drop my party's average level by a notch, which WOULD be beneficial under normal circumstances but totally destroy the point of the experiment.

5. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

So everyone either needs to be single class characters, equal levelled multi class characters, or multi classed illusionists? Ouch.

PS I'm sure the latest version of your guide includes this little tidbit, but taking ANY spellcasting class (including, at least, paladin and cleric) removes the restrictions for specialized wizards.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I realize the start would be tough for the character, since I tried to do it once before, but what I'm interested in is the later levels andd how he perfoms then. But your right, it will kill you current experiment.

7. Sir Rechet

Since I didn't explicitly mention it yet it's prudent to point out that absolutely no level-squatting or similar trickery will be used, as that'd once again spoil the "this time, we're doing it down to the very last decimal point" kind of accuracy I'm after. I'm even planning to rotate my characters to different slots so that they won't accrue too much of the rounding error exp difference you'd see normally. You know, character slot #1 gaining a smidgeon more than slot #6. :)

One of the Monk kits allows free multiclassing with a Sorcerer so that isn't a problem in the EXP penalties sense. I'm just pointing out that it's gotta be one of the most oddball multiclasses out there. Both classes lose a LOT by introducing too many mix-in classes so doing 50/50 is just pure fail. I'm sure it'll work adequately as some sort of a weird warrior/mage wannabe (just because Mirror Image is just so much pure win for any melee unit) but the stat shortage is going to hamstring at least some of the perks you'd hope to gain using such a combo.

8. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

In my last restart of the game, I used a DG Ranger/Monk. I found that the DG Monk was useless for too much of the early game and it just annoyed me so much. I decided to take a level of Ranger and took the Weapon Finesse feat which allows me to ignore Str. Then I multiclassed to a Monk. With a Dex and Wis of 20, I had really good AC. I can simply pump Dex to improve both my attacks and AC.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Multi-classing to a class that is not part of a Monk Order doesn't cause exp penalties, does it? I thought it stopped future advancement in the Monk class for doing so. But, the Monk/Sor is a viable build, it's the Monks of Shar that can do it and still advance as Monk's later on.

I initially tried Monk(1)/Sor(X). I liked it, but he was a little weak in the AT Bonus department. But the ability to use Mage Armor/Mirror Image/Blur/Haste/Bull's Strength/Stoneskin on my solo Monk was rather nice.

10. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It does not cause XP penalties, but I believe the idea was to multiclass evenly up to Monk15/Sorc15, which requires an order compatible with Sorc.

-Max

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 47 seconds later... ----------

If you have the chance, maybe you could test how many enemies are able to damage an Iron Body'ed sorc/wiz. Is it a viable alternative to high-AC as a party protector?

-Max

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Don't rotate your characters, it won't be a normal XP distribution any more. Better use this run to check the XP difference between first and last.

The war drums in the goblin warrens confuse me, could you take a special look at them and solve the mystery about what level of monster they're considered to be ?

How will you do the battle squares ? "Absolute max exp is strived for" includes reloading when you get gems or ammo instead of XP for finishing a level.

12. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I once started playing with an all-DG party but only reaced around chapter 2 before realising that the lack of multiclassing possibilities was quite booring (I never build chars with XP-penalties, so most of them had to be pure classes). I later restarted with an "all short-races" party with 2 DG, 1 Rock Gnome, 2 halflings and a gray dwarf (slightly modified with dalekeeper to balance that race out).

My all-DG-party consisted of:

rogue1/monk1/illusionistX - standard high-AC decoy which planed to take some odd lvls in other classes later on

rogue1/illusionistX - standard wiz with maxed int and some skills.

Banite Cleric - healer / main damage-dealer

Druid - almost the same role as the cleric

Sorc - could reach enough cha in time...

bardX/clericX - (ab-)using lingering song while doing some damage and healing

This gave me 1 decoy, 3 tanks, 3 spellcasters and many characters with quite high AC that really helped in the beginning.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You could play a game without spending a single skill point for concentration.
    I don't think it will make a difference during the game but it will show how overrated concentration skill is (Some guides even recommend wasting 5-7 stat points to get 14 extra concentration skill).

14. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I don't know if concentration is overrated or not, but Kmonster's suggestion is an interesting one regardless...

15. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

I see Concentration as moderately useful for when things go south (IIRC you need to make a Concentration check to cast spells at all while in melee combat, with or without being damaged). However, I see people do things like recommend human sorcerers over aasimar because aasimar "need" to spend points on Int so they can have maxed Concentration and also enough Spellcraft to get Spirit of Flame... this seems short-sighted to me, since an extra +1 DC is worth more than 10 extra points in Concentration (if you have an aasimar with 3 Int, that is, who has to spend 10 levels of skill points on Spellcraft instead of Concentration).

Edit: Oh, I get it now--kmonster is suggesting testing exactly how useful Concentration is. Good idea.

-Max

16. Stuntman Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I don't find that concentration for a spellcaster is all that useful. I find I just keep my spellcasters at the back and they do fine. Even my cleric in the front lines doesn't seem to have much problems casting spells. I only put points to concentration when I have some left over or if I'm going for Maximise Damage with my fighter.

17. Sir Rechet

Here's the party setup. I'm only going to play through normal mode, no HOF this time.

DG Barbarian - normal tank, just enough AC for tanking in normal mode.
    DG Monk - for more brute force plus I've always wanted to try one.
    DG Painbearer of Ilmater - for cleric buffs and a minor quest at Kuldahar. Ranged support with sling.
    DG Druid - long range support (low STR), will use Angurvadal +5 (mod item, sets STR to 22) later.
    DG Rogue1/Pally1/Illusionist - ye olde F/M/T wannabe.
    DG Sorcerer - since I wanted a diplomat. 14 CHA ftw.

First noteworthy thing: A druid with low STR is a pain to play as they don't get to use bows or even crossbows, unless spending feat points and/or with mix-in levels. Sling with STR penalty is awfully ineffective. Her weapon of choice won't appear until I've trudged myself into Kuldahar.. which is a drag, to put it mildly.

Also: Dinged to level three (!) just prior to Shaengarne Bridge battle. Wouldn't have gotten there normally but I triggered a couple random encounters when trying to rest on my way there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  18. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

A good reason to play an elven druid.... ;)

Too true. I guess that I've never given slings enough respect. They've always seemed like second class ranged weapons. But the people who have pointed out that slings get the STR bonus really on the mark when they claim that they are a fine ranged weapon for high STR characters... (and you can use a shield at the same time and increase your AC, which isn't a bad thing either).

I guess that the problem is that when you look at the base damage for an arrow (1d6), bolt (1d8), and sling bullet (1d4), the bullet appears weak by comparison. But the base damage doesn't account for the STR bonus, which for a STR 16 or higher can be +3 dp or more per hit.

19. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

Heh.

-Max

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

With your low strength druid you can test how effective arctic boars are for tanking. At level 5 the shapeshift should be superior to the meleers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.