1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dishwasher Use

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Aug 24, 2008.

?

Do you use a dishwasher in your US/Canadian or European/other household?

1. Yes, always (US/Canada)

18 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Yes, always (Europe/other)

15 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Sometimes/rarely (US/Canada)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Sometimes/rarely (Europe/other)

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Never or don't have a dishwasher (US/Canada)

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. Never or don't have a dishwasher (Europe/other)

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It was in a local technology publication and not in English, so no... but I checked the technical specifications on a few Gorenje eco dishwashers on the market currently and they only use 10-15 liters of water per load... and even if you up that to 20 to be on the (very) safe side, it's still impressive.

Edit: I found what I was talking about on their website; apparently power consumption is less than with manual washing up as well:

... It has been established time and again, that a dishwasher may be one of the most valuable household appliances that relieves us of time consuming manual dishwashing and saves both water and power. Manual dishwashing requires considerably more water and detergent, thus imposing a more sever load on the environment. A dishwasher can easily remove fat, inactivate bacteria, and provide impeccably clean dishes. On average, water temperature in a dishwasher reaches 65°C, compared to a maximum reached in manual dishwashing, which – due to the sensitivity of our skin – hardly reaches 40°C. Dishwashers of the A energy class, which includes all dishwashers by Gorenje, use approximately 1.05 kWh of electric power and 10 to 15 liters of water per washing cycle; this is a major improvement over manual dishwashing which on average takes between 40 and 80 liters of water.

According to calculations, regular use of dishwasher results in over 20 additional days of spare time per year, saving enough water to fill a bath tub each week, and saving enough electricity to power another household appliance for the entire year; not to mention the impeccably and hygienically clean dishes.

Models with integrated innovative UseLogic® sensor technology automatically perceive the amount of dishes loaded and how soiled they are; hence, selecting a washing program is no longer required. The most advanced models offer an automatic program that offers washing in two different washing zones. A short intensive program – Quick'n'Shine enables halving the washing time as a result of optimization of each phase of the washing cycle. The quick program automatically adjusts the temperature and the quantity of water to deliver excellent washing and drying results in the shortest possible time. Some Gorenje washing machines also enable setting the start of the dishwashing cycle up to 19 hours in advance. Washing during the reduced rate will result in additional savings, and this function facilitates them.

No research specifics listed there, but Gorenje is a well-respected and established brand, so I trust them that they got it right.

IIRC they measured the average consumption of water during manual washing on a sample of the population that still does all the washing up manually and arrived at the figure of 40-80l being used. In my experience, that sounds about right, unless you wash everything in completely dirty water. And this was assuming that the water isn't continually running from the tap during the washing up, which it is with a lot of people who wash manually... there the water consumption goes up to and over 100l in just a few minutes.

Also, apparently the modern dishwashers now also have a feature that halves the water and power consumption if you only load half of the dishwasher (if you don't have enough dishes for a full load, but still want to get it washed).

I don't really care if some people prefer to do the dishes manually for one reason or another, it's just interesting that the two major sensible reasons that I can think of to do it are, well, no longer true... But it's an interesting phenomenon, because since I've created this thread I've talked to a few people who still do the washing up manually, and they're all pretty much completely immobile in their belief that doing it manually is better in every way, but even if not, that it doesn't take much time anyway (especially if the kids do it, heh), so why bother changing a habit that they've had since childhood.

All I can say to that is OK, have fun then... :shake:

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Just seeing the word Gorenje made me smile with joy. I agree, they are a good company, always were. Still popular in the wider neighbourhood, too :)

As for washing dishes by hand... I much rather wash lab dishes, even the ridiculously tiresome ones. Food ones can be scary.

Why are there no organic solvents and acid baths in kitchens, anyway? :p

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yes, that makes sense to a point. It is probably true if you wash a lot of dishes manually and anyone washing with water continually running should be kicked to the moon. But with less dishes, it should gradually be more in favour of washing by hand. However, I do not understand how using a washer saves power, since you do not use any extra power when washing by hand, except maybe a light. An independent study would be the best here, that is more like an advertisement :-).

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    When washing by hand you also have to take into account the heating of the water by (usually) an old and inefficient water boiler... not to mention the human energy. :D

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

With three kids around I can't live without a dishwasher!

But as mentioned before silverware and pans and other stuff just can't be pu into the washer, so I voted somtimes :)

6. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Back when I was a kid, the kids were the dishwashers...

7. Goldentivne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I always use my dishwasher as it uses a lot less water (as it is only used once every couple of days) compared to washing dishes by hand a couple of times per day over the same period. :)

8. 1Lzard Gems: 1/31

Media:
    [​IMG]
    LOL!

"Doing the dishes' is also a slang term for 'Schtupping' the wife, in my end of the world.....

At least if the couple in mind have children....or 'pet's' that like to watch....

(usage: "hey,babe, wanna (do the dishes; use the dish-washer)" ?

YMMV, depending on where ya live...........

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I agree whole-heartily with the first line.

As for the second line...anyone who thinks they can do a better job than a machine is retarded. We use Cascade soap in our dishwasher, which has bleach in it. Secondly, our machine has a "heated rinse" option which brings the water temp to near boiling...which would kill any bacteria that the bleach didn't.

Modern dishwashers are dirty-dish monsters! They're WAY more powerfull then older models, they have more jets, they're *much* quieter, and they use a lot less energy.

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Waterjets and chemicals are no substitute for old-fashioned, thorough scrubbing.
    And re-using dishes that aren't really dirty yet, saves more energy (whether from metabolism or wall-socket) than any dishwasher could ever hope to.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ummm....what? :skeptic: Unless you're putting a dish that has something like lasagna that's been left out for a week so it's thoroughly dried/ingrained in to the dish, then I fail to see how such things are possible. Dried on food is usually the dishwasher's bane...but a good pre-soak takes care of that. I've put a pan in to our dishwasher after cooking meatloaf in it. It had charred grease/meat juices around the edges and a good layer of meatloaf stuck to the bottom of the pan that I didn't feel like scraping off. After a "pots & pans" cycle with "heated rinse" the pan was spotless...even the charred stuff was gone.

I suspect that you've never had a "good" dishwasher, and therefore are biased in your opinions. A "thorough scrubbing" might remove the *visible* stuff, but high temperatures and chemicals dissolve food and kill bacteria that you can't see.

12. Tekee Gems: 1/31

what! Washing dishes is my favorite chore! I never have used a dishwasher because I do not know how... :O
    I remember I used to have a house with a dishwasher but my mother forbade use of it because she did not know how either :)
    Of course I would never have wanted to try and washing dishes manually is much much faster then a dishwasher.

These results have surprised me because al TV families, Simpson's and others always wash manually dishes
    We are funnier and more interesting people indeed!

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 50 seconds later... ----------

Hehe I must mention that I rarely ever ever use soap to wash dishes, and I have been washing dishes for my family for long time no one has ever gotten sick before, why bother with bacteria? I like this guy who like scrubbing I agree scrubbing is my favorite part of dishes, I just scrub off all the food.
    Manual dish wash for life!

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I love how heated this dishwasher debate has become. Hilarious. I'm on the side of the people who don't use dishwashers much. I think washing by hand is more economical and more practical, but I don't really mind too much either way.

14. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Washibg dishes by hand

I have to wash dishes by hand because my wife won't use the dish washer
    since she found me washing hubcaps that I collect, in our, HER, dishwasher.
    Boy, it does a supper job of cleaning dirty hubcaps, especially the spoked
    ones. I need to find more hubcaps to justify hand washing the dishes. Some
    wives are so picky.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    That's funny. :shake: Btw, just keep on writing when you get to the end of the text box, your text will automatically continue in the next line.

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

It isnt common for a UK house to have a dishwasher. Our new house has one, but its the first house in the UK that I've seen that does. Granted, I havent been to a lot of family homes in the UK, just digs's really.

We use ours for crockery and cutlery mostly. Some people put pots and pans in, but I dont. I prefer to wash those by hand. The thing I find with dishwashers is that, unless you rinse the plates first, the results can be pretty poor. But if you do rinse them, it does a far better job than a human ever could.

17. Muffildy Gems: 1/31

dishwashing

I dont have a dishwashing machine because the kitchen is too small for one. At times i really wish i had one because it really can be a bother to have to continually wash dishes day in and day out.
    So, to save labor i generally do things like cooking in 1 pan only, and then putting a lid over said pan to keep the leftovers in the fridge so as to not waste my time washing tupperware.
    That being said, i dont believe i used that much water to wash dishes by hand, generally i fill the left sink 1 inch high of water and a small dab of soap. wash everything in that and then rinse for approximately 2 minutes of running water (which amounted to about 2 gallons). So converting to liters id say per sinkful i use about 10 liters.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.