1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it time to kill and eat your pets?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My brothers and I grew up playing with the kids from an oriental family. they owned 2 Chinese restaurants. They also had a pigeon coup in their backyard. Makes ya wonder....

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am pretty sure that some of the lower-quality meat products I've eaten in the 90s (and possibly later) have included cat, dog, donkey, horse, and various rodents. I know for sure I've eaten donkey; my late uncle once killed one instead of a pig*

*: To put a long story short, people in villages or small towns often make a big thing of slaughtering a pig every now and then, often in the colder part of the year when a) fresh food was traditionally rare and b) feeding animals costs more as you need to prepare food for them yourself. Usually it's an occasion to invite the neighbors and a few friends to help - most such occasions I've been to had at least 10 men handle the carcass, with several women staying inside and handling anything that requires more than a cursory chopping, cleaning and/or grilling. There are actually phrases about this, like "I'm going to a pig" or "So-and-so invites us to a pig this Sunday." Grilled pig snout is one of the tastier memories of childhood, let me tell you :)

BTW, I have heard that reptiles tend to eat very little. I guess having an iguana is a very ecological choice :) .

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well this seems like the perfect time to post this video

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's sad that I knew it was going to be done to the tune of "Cats in the Cradle" before I clicked on the video.... god I'm old.

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh well, here goes: I don't have any pets, so yes, it is time to kill and eat your pets. :yum:

6. Brak the Barbarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The article is talking about dogs that follow a mostly meat-based diet. If that is a drain on the environment, what about the meat humans consume? It's certainly more than dogs consume.

And then they go on to say that you should exchange dogs for the more eco-friendly chicken and rabbits? To reiterate their example, the reason the dog was a resource hog in the first place was because of all the grains and animal meats it ate. And the animal meats, of course, come from animals which you need to feed grains, like the chicken and rabbit, yes? :rolleyes:

And dogs are omnivores so you don't even have to feed them meat in the first place. My dogs haven't been on a meat-based diet in over 3 years, except for the odd rhinoceros my crazy terrier mix digs up. :D

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's a good point. We should be killing people and eating them instead. That would be way greener. :)

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Soylent Greener.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Eco-math like this is clearly based not on an actual understanding of an ecosystem or how it works, but on a few basic math points some idiot dug up.

For example, the entire point of the larger carnivorous (and omnivorous) species in the ecosystem is to eat large quantities of the herbivores on a regular basis. This is to limit their numbers so that they don't eat all the plants and die of starvation/suffocation (since they've eaten all the plants that produce oxygen). Further more, the faster-paced, less efficient digestions and metabolisms of these creatures serve to recycle more nutrients from those herbivores back into the ecosystem where they can be picked up by other creatures, like bacteria, fungi, plants, and even some small animals.

Similarly, eating seed-bearing fruits like strawberries and zuchinis is not actually evil baby-plant murder (and I have personally heard it argued as such), but actually the intended purpose of the fruit. The seeds don't germinate well unless they've been through a digestion system and dropped out in a steaming hot pile of ****! And I use that in the technical sense of the word. :cool:

All in all, the nature of a biosphere is to max out it's resources and then start perfect (or at least near-perfect) recycling. To say that the things that use up more resources are bad and should be removed, well, misses the point entirely.

10. Brak the Barbarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I apologize if this is a stupid question. What is the point?

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The point is life. And, to judge by the condition the world is in, the point is variety. Life expands to fill in every niche available, to utilize every resource available, including itself. To say that certain life is "better" or "preferable" because it uses fewer resources is meaningless, because nature will expand to use all the resources anyway.

12. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    :jawdrop:What a load of nonsense. Petfood only contains a small amount of meat, 4% for my mom's cat. The rest is soybean, or something similar. And it's also made of low quality meat, that is leftover after most of it has gone to human consumption. You only need to look at a can of petfood to confirm this. But the authors of the book are assuming you're too lazy to check their figures, or even think about them. And they would be right:sosad:.

And finally, meat production and consumption never decreases your carbon footprint; that's a claim too stupefying to even elaborate on. Unless the rabbits in question were capable of photosynthesis:lol:.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    But wouldn't genetic engineering be an afront to nature and an abomination? That's why they protest all the genetically engineered foods, right? :D

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Some do, sure.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.