1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age System Requirements

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Merlanni, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A little update about the requirements: some minor "mistakes" have been made. A slip of the keyboard.

After debate on the Bioware boards a few wrong things came to mind. The tech persons here already now if they look at it, but a few minor mistakes were made with the Graphics cards. The named Nvidia and Ati cards were not on par.

More important is the processor: Some single core P4's work! The stronger ones that is. It still is a guess since they do not know it for sure but estimate is around clockspeed 3.0 ghz. They told us not to worry much if your processor is in the bottom section.

They did told us that the Graphics card is very important to playing the game. From this we deduced that a P4 with a good Graphics Processor Unit aka the videocard might run it fairly.

So people with older pc's just on the edge need NOT to run to the stores just yet. Besides Window 7 will be released in the same timeframe so a lot hardware will be on sale then. Ask your question on our techno magic forum.

2. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

hello there

i got a AMD athlon monocore at 2.71 Ghz with 2 Gb ram and an ATI radeon 4830 (512 mb), runing under win xp SP1

do you think it'll run alright ?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You'll have to update Windows to SP3, but aside from that it should be fine.

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

i'm not so sure the update to SP3 is compulsory, i recall having played certain games requiring SP2 which nevertheless worked fine on SP1, like The Sims 3 for example

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, you'll have to wait and see about that one I guess... I just find it odd to list it as a requirement when it actually isn't.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Probably because they don't want to test other rare configurations. I'm sure it's difficult enough to test the configurations they do. So, a requirement may just mean they don't know if it will work or not if you have something different.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Good point... it also gives them an excuse to tell everyone to update to SP3 first before even attempting any other troubleshooting.

8. Brak the Barbarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

requirements

Dunno if I trust Bioware's requirements after NWN2. I have a feeling I would need a truly beastly machine to run it with decent visuals regardless of what their requirements state. My plan is to wait until the game is released then check out their tech support forms to see how many people are whining.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    NWN2? That was Obsidian, not BioWare, so there's no connection.

Ok, not being that much of a computer guru, let me ask you all this. My laptop has:
    Vista Home Premium
    AMD Turion 64X2 ~1.6GHz
    958Mb Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150

Seeing how old it is, I'm assuming that's really not enough, not even to play on minimum (although I can run the character creator which technically has the same reqs, it's slow), but hearing some of the tech debates (hearing and not really understanding), I thought it wisest to ask. Could I run DA:O? Would it run, but just barely? I like my games to run smoothly, especially the real-time ones.

10. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I doubt it. It might run, but very slowly.

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Both NWN and NWN2 were notoriously unoptimised. Even with my system that by FAR exceeds the requirements they still run pretty slowly (the 1st is even worse, funnily enough). If your system had trouble with NWN2 that doesn't mean it won't run DA well. Still, waiting for the initial response from people who got it straight away, both here and on the official boards, is always a good idea :)

12. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Your Processor will have a hard time dealing with it, it'll probably run, but definitely not smoothly and definitely not during any 'intensive' moments in the game. Not to mention the RAM you have is only good for Vista itself (memory hog!), and the GFX card is the biggest issue since it's quite below the minimum req. (if I'm not mistaken). I would strongly recommend not wasting your money on the game unless if you plan to use it for another comp or something else.

Hope to have helped.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Yeah, I guessed as much. Guess it's back to the job hunt for me.

14. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

[​IMG]
    I disagree that they are proposing overall "hefty" requirements, given the lowball suggested video minimums that make no logical sense at all. For Vista, the Geforce 7600 GT is the minimum from nVIDIA, while for ATI they named the X1550! That piece of junk is slower than the Radeon X1300 Pro, but Bioware doesn't know that, it seems.

ATI's X1650 Pro, or perhaps the XT, would be the natural equivalent to a 7600 GT.

For XP, they claim that an X850 is the minimum Radeon (which makes the cards they named for Vista really look like turtles), and yet supposedly, a Geforce 6600 GT can do minimum while none of the X800s can? Plain dumb!

An X700 Pro offers better performance than a 6600 GT.

The CPUs that they have named are almost all dual-core for both minimums and recommended, so that part is higher than is named by much of anything else that is recent, I go along there . .

---------- Added 0 hours, 5 minutes and 7 seconds later... ----------

Don't forget that NWN2 was not Bioware's, but Obsidian's, and the official requirements were what EA wanted published, not what Obsidian knew would work. EA is a headache in every area when they are involved on any game.

15. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Wow Kiwi, that first post of mine is almost a year old! :D I thought the recommended specs were too high based on my assumptions of what "recommended" meant in terms of frame rate and detail settings. I have to admit that I hadn't compared with the minimum specs - now that I see them it seems that the recommended would allow high settings and frame rates than what I thought. The recommendation for a quad-core Intel CPU is still bizarre though.

I'm sure EA had nothing to do with NWN2 (or the 1st one). Weren't they both published by Atari? Not that they're any better than EA when it comes to making some questionable decisions (sitting on Mysteries of Westgate for almost 2 years was an odd thing to do)

16. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Mea Culpa

[​IMG] EA screwed up the port from Mass Effect on console to PC, and for all I know, will make a bigger mess out of the already screwy DA:O requirements, so it was Atari with the errors on NWN2 (or Obsidian).

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

How would my system peform with DA:O on the PC?

I have an AMD 8450 2.1 CPU, 4GB of 800 speed DDR2 RAM, and a 384MB 8800 GS GPU. I heard horror stories with the AMD CPUs and good things with the Nvidia GPUs. So, what bells and whitles could I use and what may slow down the game besides the CPU.

Thinking about upgrading the CPU to a AMD Athlon II X4 2.6 or 2.8 CPU for about $100.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.