1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Texans Suck

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by AMaster, Oct 29, 2009.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    At driving.

Okay, so I've spent the past few weeks running around all of Texas upgrading some equipment in a chain of stores. And I swear to Christ, I had never before encountered the sort of concentrated ****wittery on display on the Texan highways. Three things I observed. Repeatedly:

1) Passing without accelerating. Now, I always though that, when one moves into the lane in which oncoming traffic travels while attempting to pass a slower vehicle, it was obvious that the thing to do was temporarily increase one's speed significantly so as to minimize the time spent driving straight at oncoming cars and thereby minimize the chances of a really unfortunate collision. Well, Texans have taught me otherwise, as I've seen, over and over again, people pull into the passing lane while going only a few mph faster than the vehicle they're passing. This means that, over and over again, I've seen people spend a good twenty or thirty seconds in the passing lane.

2) The shoulder. Is not a lane. You do not drive on the shoulder. Except in Texas, where everyone does it.

3) The shoulder. Is not a parking spot. You do not park on the shoulder. Unless you're experiencing a breakdown. Or you're in Texas, where everyone does it.

What the hell, Texas?

Fairness compels me to add that the drivers in the urban areas seem perfectly competent; it's only on the rural highways where incompetence reigns supreme.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tell me about; I have to live here. Yes, they are the most inconsiderate, ignorant, jackass drivers on the planet. And proud of it.

I was right behind a guy who, as you commented, passed someone on the shoulder, only to run smack into someone else who was parked there. Your, statements, AM, are quite accurate. Not to mention that if you are doing 80mph on the freeway and someone passes you, it's more than likely a cop.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...wait until the Blue Bonnets bloom.

4. Brak the Barbarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Texas sucks

[​IMG] Texas sucks for a multitude of reasons. This guy in a huge pickup ran my mom off the road (who was driving my tiny scion) and stuck his bright red face out the window to yell a bunch of obscenities because he didn't like our bumper sticker. I was seething.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What did the bumber sticker say?

I've found jerks in every state I've lived in. Texas was actually better than most for fewer jerks and more people willing to help you.

But the first year I was there and saw people stopping in the middle lane of a three lane interstate to get out of their car and take pictures of the blue bonnets ... visions of Deathrace 2000 danced in my head.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Heh...you think Texans suck at driving, come to Utah! Now that the snow has come, Utah drivers are 10 times as bad as they usually are in the warmer months.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 35 seconds later... ----------

Californians are great drivers because the fastest they can ever go is ~10mph on the freeways... :evil:

7. Brak the Barbarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just your basic political sticker. It didn't say nuke Israel or anything like that. It was very tame

I've noticed people in southern states do seem to be warmer than those in the north, but I'm not counting the numerous clan people and neo nazis.

8. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] lol, wow, remind me never go to texas... :p

I think there are bad drivers everywhere. Here, there's a stretch of road where the limit is 60kmh. I go at 70, and I'm still tailgated like there's no tomorrow! I just ignore it but my girlfriend is less polite. She starts slowing down to 30 or 40 until the tailgater is fed up and passes the car via the incoming lane. She then gives the tailgater a big smile and waves, which pisses them off...:lol:

There's also the classic ''wtf am I doing? where am I? Do I have a brain?'' when most people enter a roundabout, which we have plenty of here. And I have seen, with my own eyes, a car turning left in a roundabout. :doh: (To those here who have never been in a roundabout, it's a one-way to the right...)

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    I had several drivers act aggressively at me in Utah -- I had an "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry For Tomorrow You May Be in Utah" bumper sticker prominently displayed.

As far as Texans suck, I'm not sure about all of them -- but this one woman I knew when I was at UT ... [WARNING! WARNING! CENSORED! Shift to MUG!]

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually in the Queen's Empire (of which we are part) it should be one-way to the left. So that car was the only one doing it right and you and everyone else was wrong :D

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

New Jersey has alot of "Circles", which are so much fun to navigate at rush hour. There is always one idiot who has no driving etiquette and pulls some stupid manuever that brings traffic to a halt. There is always one.

12. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    They do drive on the opposite side of the road in England, so of course the roundabout will also go in the opposite direction.

pfff, trying to say I'm wrong... :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.