1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CLUAing in oils of speed to get through a cleared-out screen faster - cheating or not

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 17, 2009.

?

Is it cheeting to use CLU make 6 oils of speed for the sole purpose of travelling?

1. As long as you aren't using it to make fights easier or anything else, it's fine if it makes the gam

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. It's cheeting, you should feel guilty for using it

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've played BG2 plenty of times, especially chapters 1-3. A lot of times after I've finished a given quest, I now have to leave a cleared-out dungeon and make my way back through the cleared-out (of enemies) town to collect my reward. Once I'm satisfied there aren't any more enemies to fight, I usually CLUAConsole:CreateItem:("potn14",6) to make 6 oils of speed and pass them out to my party for the sole purpose of making the trip take less real time. The effect on game time is negligible as the game time is consumed if I have to traverse the world map, but it saves me a lot of tedium and bordom walking back through the empty dungeon and the streets of town to get to the district exit, then from the district entrance to the person who gave me the quest.

Since I'm not using the potions to get extra attacks in a fight or run away from enemies, but simply for travel, would it sill count as cheating? I'm only using it to alleviate boredom and "get to the good parts".

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

It might be easier just to "Ctrl+J" to get across the map. It's even faster than cheating in and passing out, then consuming "Potions of Speed".

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Wow, you're fast. The post must have appeared before I finished the poll, as no sooner had I finished it than I saw your reply.

Part of it is that I usually need to CTRL-J multiple screens, as if for instance I just beat the Unseeing Eye, I'm now at the ancient temple at the bottom of the dungeon and need to traverse several screens to get back to the Temple of Helm. I just down the potions once and get out of there. Maybe CTRL-J is still easier, but it balances out.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    It is cheating, yes.

Is it justified? Does it ruin the experience? Depends on the player.
    If it were me the answer would be no, since I consider the tedious walking bit as part of the fantasy experience. Also not tired and no mouse-hand cramps atm.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  5. Angulimala Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Seriously, Ctrl J is way easier. Just Ctrl J to the exit/transition area, leave, then Ctrl J again to the next transition. Takes less time than potions of speed.

But I personally detest inventory management.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Sorry but I won't vote for this poll and here is why:

-I don't see this as making the game "more fun" it may speed it up a little but it certainly doesn't look like it is improving on the fun element.

-Apart from a silly pun between cheating and turning characters into cheetahs, I have to say that the "you should feel guilty for using it" bit is way too judgemental or patronizing.

So, yes it is cheating but you shouldn't feel guilty, you shouldn't try and justify yourself so much. Provided you enjoy your game it really doesn't matter whether you use SK to play maxed out characters with kits and multiclasses or whether you use the console to get loads of items, XP and gold. It doesn't matter if you use a rebalancing mod that turns your favourite class into a juggernaut of destruction either.

This is a single player game so if you are ok with using the console like this then just do it. Or do you really need our approval so you can stop feeling guilty and play the game?

For the record, I agree with starfox64 and Angulimala, Ctrl J is easier and inventory management seems like a waste of time.

So please stop feeling guilty and enjoy your game already!:D

7. Balle Gems: 19/31

i use ctrl+j all the time, unless it is totally new maps i explore, or i know i will bump into someone or such.

i just can't be bothered waiting for the patfinding and walking, i also have walking speed and framerates or what it is turned to the highest setting, making the whole game faster, and allowing me to control the flow "better" with spacebar AKA. pause

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Yeah the framerate thing is definitely a time saver, I also use a higher setting.

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Walking speed setting? I don't recall seeing that in the .ini file. I'd have LOVED something like that in BG1 as they move even slower. BG2 is like BG1 chars with boots of speed.

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    You can find it in BGConfig, raising it speeds up the whole game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.