1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo druid?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Has anybody soloed as a druid?

If so, is it more fun than just ironskins+summons+nature's beauty+energy blades?

Do druids even get energy blades?

If they don't, how do you deal with things like demogorgon?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... download the shapeshifter rebalancing mod. The GWW form can take on anything.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Without mods? Summons and luck. With mods, the Greater Werewolf really is overpowered IMO.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Pure fighters have been soloed with difficulty mods, no reason why a Druid (a magic-using class and a bane of mages in BG2) would be any less successful.

Druids spells are pretty powerful. The class has severe item restrictions, but once you consider how much you already have access to then it's not that bad. If all else fails, equip a good spear and go melee.
    Solo wizards have been known to use slings to survive worse.
    In the druid's case summons would play a very important role for solo. Main problem would be the lack of Haste, imo.

You can probably go with "just ironskins+summons+nature's beauty+energy blades" at higher levels if you want. There are alternatives, of course, but you will want to experience the druid spells yourself to find out. Yep, they get energy blades.

5. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Just started solo as an avenger... obscenely easy at this point (of course, its unmodded so no solo is hard).

By the time you complete the opening dungeon and the circus you have access to fire elementals, iron skins, and insect plague, so I'm sure early game will be super easy, even moreso than most classes perhaps.

Avengers are pretty much immune to mages immediately upon exiting waukeen's promenade for the first time, between improved invis, iron skin, chaotic commands, death ward, etc. Plus mages are easy to disable with insect plague, and with poison sword spider attack.

Only remotely forseeable hangup will be against heavy melee stuff before I get nature's beauty, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

6. Angulimala Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Are you still playing the solo Druid game? Or have you switched focus to the ranged party?

I just started a solo Druid from BGtutu. I'm interested to see how your experience compares to mine. Insect plague really is the bomb! But I bet those fire elementals fall fast later in the game.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    That they do, when placed under heavy fire. They're still among the best summons tho since they can hit anything (even Kangaax). The Elemental Princes however are a lot more powerful than your average elementals.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Strange, I didn't think fire damaged them, not even heavy fire....

Scythesong Immortal likes this.
  9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm trying to watch my weight, so I prefer Lite fire. To many fat colories in Heavy fire....

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] You don't think Heavy fire burns more calories?

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey, i never thought of it that way. Do you think the same goes for Ice cream?

12. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

I'm still playing this character, but spending more time w/ my ranged party.

Its pretty easy so far, but I haven't faced any tough competition. Fire elementals are enough to get you through the early parts of the game, and I'm sure that nature's beauty + energy blades will kill basically anything later in the game (esp. when you buff yourself a bit and have summons running around).

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    T2bruno strikes again. The rest was just corny heh.
    What exactly were you expecting from a thread that (in a way) had been discussing falling fire, biological warfare, out-of-body predictions and a summons without a court?

Main challenge should still be non-access to the Haste spell. Some of the later battles can be very difficult without it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Energy Blades haste well enough?

Doesn't a Deva have a haste in it's spell repertoire? Can't remember...

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

My druid won't need haste because of energy blades... it would be nice to haste my elementals but there's no way it will be crucial to have them hasted.

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    No, I didn't say it was crucial. "Some of the later battles can be very difficult without it."

"Later" battles would include the ones you'll be fighting at levels 12-14 (xp required to gain levels starts to skyrocket), and perhaps a few ToB undead/dragon/bhaalspawn battles if you wanna fight "fair".

Haste on six people is basically 6 extra attacks per round (5 when you're busy) and that is easily worth more damage than the majority of nukes one can name in the game. Faster movement gives you back the few seconds your summons would have spent moving around, and in long battles this is equal to a few free rounds. Tactical possibilities with the spell is just frosting but no less important (having your summons run around while you cast spells/use your Energy Blades).

I'm not sure, if Devas had Haste it would help ease some of the difficulties you might encounter in ToB.

EDIT: Yes, Devas get Haste.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  17. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

...but druids don't get devas, do they?

18. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    ... but they do.

19. Balle Gems: 19/31

but they don't get solars?

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No-one gets solars (in an unmodded game, that is). Mages and sorcerers get planetars.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.