1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Magic-Heavy Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Oct 11, 2009.

1. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

@NOG

From the in game description:

Its GREAT! Loses effectiveness later on, but man... is it fun when it works. Its like a party friendly AOE spell that kills anything.

@henkie

Wait.... a PI can cast every spell you have memorized, without affecting your own spellbook? So its like a 2 for the price of 1 deal? Thats a lot better than I thought it was. Cast Immunity: Divination I suppose, before sending it out.

As for Mordy's swords... Probably the reason I've never seen a need for them is that my own tanks do my tanking. They may not have the immunities that a Mordy's sword does, but they can dish out far more damage. For Mindflayers, I cast improved haste and chaotic commands on them, and its game over for the mindflayers.

2. Athos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, but there are battles when you need more tanks than you can have with NPCs only, and Mordy's Swords are the best you can get.

For mindflayers, I just give my best fighter the greenstone amulet found in the beholder's hive.

As for Project Image, when I played a sorcerer it was by far my favorite spell. The PC rarely needed to engage in battles himself. Downside is, you can't use it if you have the contingency helpless -> dispel magic :(

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never had that problem. I found most summons to be woefully inadequate in general combat. Certain summons did well for specific combats. Even the planetars were only a novelty for me.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Summons are canon fodder, arrow catchers and meatshields. But, they are all you need with a magic-heavy party, as you can replenish them over and over. The game has so many different types, they should be able to get you by without a hitch.

5. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

The other level 2 spell I forgot to mention is Ray of Enfeeblement. I like fighting dragons when they only have 5 strength...

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you're hoping for a failed save you may as well cast chromatic doom....

7. Athos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

chromatic gives a +6 bonus to save, it's hardly the same

besides, I can see how it's more fun to weaken a dragon and let your warriors hack'n slash him to death instead of insta kill him

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    I don't know, I found setting a trap and casting harm to be quite humorous. As was a spike trap and implosion. Both methods were effective at killing an unsuspecting dragon.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I've heared a cleric/mage with Timestop and Harm are very fun.

10. kerkes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

11. Rastamage Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I find the Mordenkainen's Sword and Horrid Wilting to be must have. Invisible Stalker is fun too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.