1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Ch. 2 Leather Armor?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Oct 11, 2009.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

What is the best non-Studded Leather Armor, not including Human Flesh, in SoA?

I am playing as an avenger so I can only wear leather armor, and I want to skip as many of the major ch. 2 quests as I can, so I'm trying to think of what the best leather armor is. Is the shadow dragon scale leather or studded leather?

Right now, I'm using aeger's hide, which is nice.

Any other can't miss items for a solo druid in any of the chapter 2 quests (not incl. trademeet)? I'll go get the cloak of sewers for the MR jelly form, but I can't think of any other ch. 2 items really necessary for a solo druid?

2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Night's Gift +5 (from Imnesvale) is slightly better than Aegers hide: same AC, weighs only 5 pounds and +20 to hide in shadows. Not much of an improvement for a druid though. If your druid has low DEX (which I doubt), you could also buy AC3 bracers instead.

Girdle of Hill Gian't strength is a must for a STR-challenged avenger!

3. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Seems like Aeger's Hide is better, if it has the same AC. Immunity to confusion is more useful than hide in shadows, which a druid can't use.

I'll be sure to pick up that girdle, thanks!

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Never played an avenger before, but I just ran a test and immediately remembered why. -2 STR & CON? No, thanks. Another outcome of the test: Yes, an avenger can wear the shadow armor.

Other useful items for a solo druid (or any other class, really) include: boots of speed, amulet of power. The girdle of [insert giant species here] strength has already been mentioned. You may want to get an appropriately enchanted weapon too. Staff of Rynn is easy to get, but that depends on your weapon preference.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I didn't remember that Aeger's hide protects from confusion, which certainly makes it more useful than Night's Gift - at least for a druid. Shadow Dragon scale would be the ideal choice, but parting the scales from the dragon might be challenging for a low-level druid :)

-2 in STR and CON seem huge, but a druid doesn't really need more than 16 in CON and those mentioned girdles beef up STR nicely.

6. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

There are no real disadvantages to being an avenger beyond the armor issue. -2 constitution is meaingless, and -2 strength is easily remedied by the girdles.

Being able to cast improved invisibility easily makes up for the armor restriction.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Hmm, depends. I've forgotten the names of a lot of stuff, but a short list would include:

Reflection Shield, a buckler (which druids can use, iirc). It reflects ranged weapon attacks (useful in several situations), found in the Adventurer's Mart.
    The thunder staff from the druid quest is nice. It has charges of a useful ability though I've honestly forgotten what it did.
    A recharged staff of flame, for summoning fire elemental fodder without you having to sacrifice spell slots. Found in the Planar Sphere.
    Belt of Constitution from the Unseeing Eye quest.
    Scrolls of Undead/Magic Protection (for emergency use only)
    Rare potions (you can buy some off an isolated potion seller in the Bridge District, plus a few other places that don't come to mind right now). These can do an assortment of stuff that should be useful (fireball effects, immunities, resistances, etc)
    Potions case, from Watcher's keep merchant.
    The sling that provides its own bullets (I've actually forgotten its name) or a returning dagger like Firetooth (you might wanna check the Watcher's Keep people). iirc, druids can reach 3 attacks per round from darts/throwing knives so these can be useful.
    Poisoned throwing daggers (various thief npc's)
    Identification glasses (you probably already have these)
    The Cloak of Stars (creates +5 darts)
    I should remember more soon. :p

Btw you can use protection rings with Shadow Dragon Armor, iirc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.