1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Demon slaying/stopping spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by spmdw45, Oct 9, 2009.

1. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Coineineagh mentioned in the other thread that Enchantment spells (Mass Dominate, Feeblemind, Symbol of Hopelessness?) and Evocation spells (presumably Chromatic Orb, since that doesn't work on a lot of things) don't work on demons like the Slayer Knights of Xvim, Isair, and Madae. What are some good spells that you CAN use on them?

Wail of the Banshee? (Probably not)
    Dismissal? (I would guess not since demon probably != summoned)
    Banishment? (Probably not)
    Silence? (Probably, since it's Illusion)
    Finger of Death? (Probably not)
    Disintegrate? (Maybe)
    Slow? (Probably)
    Tremor? (Probably)
    Insect Swarm? (No idea)
    Color Spray? (Maybe)
    Otiluke's Resilient Sphere? (Maybe)
    Power Word Blind/Sleep/Silence? (No idea)
    Prismatic Spray? (Depends on which effect?)
    Ray of Enfeeblement? (Probably not)
    Spike Stones? (Probably)
    Sunbeam? (Maybe)
    Great Shout (Maybe)
    Undead Ward (Probably ineffective anyway)

-Max

2. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Holy Word is the only one I can remember of the bat. The more experienced players will probably have more and better solutions.

3. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Take a look for yourself:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showpost.php?p=669006&postcount=13
    Isair and Madae are immune to nearly everything.
    Think buff spells. On yourself. And tank, tank, tank!
    A handy little spell which seems to work fine on *everybody*, is the Drow's innate, instant-casting Faerie Fire;). It seems to bypass every monster's resistances, and always works...

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Based on the experience from my latest play-through, Tremor usually takes care of anything that a Symbol of Hopelessness / Mass Dominate doesn't. Demons are especially noteworthy in that they happily ignore most debilitating stuff unless its "physical" based, such as Tremor or Disintegrate.

Golems, some bosses and most definitely Isair & Madae 'wear' special items that give them specific immunities to many spells. I personally find it easier to just rely on cold steel as opposed to trying to deduct if they happen to have remaining vulnerabilities to some otherwise obscure and unused spells.

"All flesh obeys punishment", as they so succintly put in Finland. ;)

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Grease is also cute. Although there is a saving throw, it still slows for 1/3 if the save is failed. It's 'obscure and overlooked' in the resistances of all the bosses;), and never lets me down. Slow isn't too bad either, but nothing happens if they make their save.
    Summons also won't do much damage, but serve to distract hard-hitting bosses.
    There are no highly effective spells here, but well chosen ones can make things a little easier.

6. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It turns out that Mass Dominate works just fine on demons, or at least demons without a boss ring. I Dominated a Slayer Knight of Xvim and made him attack another Slayer Knight. Then I found a Gelugon, a Cornugon, and IIRC an Abishai on level 3 of the Severed Hand and made them fight some Slayer Knights too. Worked great.

-Max

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.