1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WTF? seriously, WTF? (Final Fight)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by schwartr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Nikajo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

lmao i remember fighting Sarevok for the first time! something along the lines of - "WTF?!? am i actually supposed to some how WIN this fight?!?"

i kept setting off the traps and getting my face bashed in by him and his party, was almost embaressing! i always remember how i eventually won tho, made me lol till the cows came home.

basically i managed to lure him out on his own...i really dont kno how and will probably never be able to do it again but i thought "right heres my chance!". cast every offensive spell i had and had my main character (dual class fighter/theif) sit back and spam acid arrows as fast as his little half elf hands cud manage while everybody else except one mage charged. so 4 hits later the floor is covered in body parts, literally! and i send the mage in for hand to hand....more body parts ensue. and it ends up with him chasing my main character across the hall stopping to fire an arrow every couple of seconds and low and behold just as he reaches him, last arrow puts him down. cudnt believe it! i practically cheered it was so awesome lol! obviously a certain amount of luck and alot (or possibly all) of my potions were involved but there really isnt any other way to beat him down.

seriously tho one of the hardest last bosses ive ever seen for any game. so much so it felt unfair! i was happy with that win tho :D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. justavictim82 Gems: 1/31

Still trying to fight him. Its impossible. I have tried the fireball trick to no avail because they rush you no matter what and as soon as Tazok appears, you get hit with a stinking cloud/web spell that incapacites almost everyone. Its bad enough you have to deal with Saerevok/Tazok as fighters but that too is impossible. I am giving up for now, loading in BG2 with my exported main character (an abjuror) and moving on. I have been trying for 5 hours and no luck. It doesnt help that My characters are only lvl 9 but i had not had a single problem so far other than at the top of the iron throne building the first time.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I did it all with the level cap -- have you tried summoning? If you must engage, make sure that character is as defended as possible (maximum buffs). Remember you only need to kill Sarevoc -- focus all your firepower on him.

4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

sarevok is easy with a solo fighter or thief (up to 194 backstab damage !)

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

194 dmg? That's crazy! :jawdrop: I did not think it was possible in BG1.

Sarevok has never been a much of a challenge for me, so I opted to mod my games so I can't really offer valuable strategems or ideas for the unmodded game. I just...beat it. :p

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My 1st encounter with Sarevok was with Khalid, Jaheira, Dynaheir, Coran, Yeslick and my own Dwarf F/C pc. I beat it 1st try. Killing Sarevok last. Just summons away, missle weapons away. Coran was very effective. As was dispel magic, so I didn't really buff until after I cast it a few times. I was killed by his group with other parties, but my all-evil run thru had no problems whatsoever. But summons makes the battle way too easy. Edwin is great for that one. So are the clerics.

7. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I always incapacitate him with a hold person spell. First round, doom + greater malison. Second round, three hold person spells from my casters. Ties him up 95 percent of the time.

8. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Doom is not available in BG1. It was added in BG2. Of course Tutu lets you use all the BG2 spells, but that is cheating a little bit.

The wand of paralyzation is a better method of paralyzing Sarevok rather than casting Hold Person. The wand of paralyzation comes with its own innate -4 penalty which will stack with both Greater Malison and Doom for a huge combined penalty to his saving throw.

The wand of paralyzation is the most powerful wand in the game in my opinion. Just about anything will be paralyzed by it. Very tough opponents like battle horrors, helmed horrors, invisible stalkers, wyverns, etc will all fall to the wand. Even Aec'letec falls to the wand. The only things that don't fall to the wand are magic immune creatures like golems and skeleton warriors. Aec'letec does have high magic resistance, but poor saving throws. If you can get the wand to bypass his magic resistance, he will more than likely fail the save.

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

the first time I beat Sarevok was pure luck...I had managed to kill all his henchman with various summoning spells(memorized I might add) and potions of explosions and a couple fireball wands, then sarevok proceeded to make mince meat of my party until the only person left was my main character(dwarf fighter/thief 18/00 strength on 2nd roll! haven't seen it since). I panicked and went invisible and then came out with a massive 155 dmg crit(no backstabe I was using an axe). I have no idea how I got such a massive crit..I have a feeling it was bugged or something. I had a screenie of it for a long time but not sure if I still do(I'll check when my computer finally shows up here)

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've never fought Sarevok and his goons. I actually got to the end of the game once, I knew Sarevok was close, so I decided to save and do the fight the next day, when I was more awake and ready for it. Unfortunately, my hard drive died before I was able to do it :(

11. Athos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My first fight with Sarevok was sure hard and needed a lot of reloads. I've recently finished BG1 for the second time (this time with TotSC and Tutu) and beat him on the first try. I was amazed at how easy it was.

Sure, I spent about 30000 gps in potions and magic arrows :rolleyes:

Everyone was hasted, at least 50% magic resistance, PC and Imoen were actually imune to magic, so the skull traps did a lot of damage to the enemies while barely touching my party :D

Imoen and Coran firing 3 arrows of piercing/biting per round and Xan with Melf's and a wand of frost killed all of Saverok's goons in record time, while Khalid and Jaheira tanked them. My char (a spoony bard) got her ass kicked by Saverok and had to retreat and drink lots of healing potions, but by that time Jaheira and Khalid came to the rescue and had no trouble beating him. Jaheira had -8 AC and Sarevok almost didn't hit her.

No summoning at all.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I needed a ton of reloads the first time, and I ended up going the cheese route with a ton of summons keeping him busy (I think I burned through an entire wand of monster summoning - the bodies were stacked four or five deep in a circle around Sarevok) and just kept hitting him with magic arrows/bolts/sling stones. I concede that it is not very sporting. I have never been able to beat him toe-to-toe without losing over half the party.

I have never tried casting the Resilient Sphere, or using the Wand of Paralyzation - interesting strategies both.

One thing I will disagree with is that the Sarevok fight is not the toughest in the game if you have TotSC installed - it's the fight against Aec'letec. Especially the first time when you don't realize you have to kill all the cult members in the room before you kill him, otherwise, one of the remaining cult members turns into the demon. That REALLY pissed me off the first time it happened.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "My way is not very sporting."

-Fezzik

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sportsmanlike, T2, not sporting.

15. stivo Gems: 1/31

I recall magic missles being effective.

16. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] My party has just completed the final fight so I was looking back through this thread. I looks to me that there a 3 parts to the tactics that most people use:

1) Prepare well and make your first move a good one.
    2) Divide and Conquer - it's easier if you can split them up.
    3) Try to keep your distance and use ranged attack, unless you have great protection.

The other thing to note is that installing expansions and mods can greatly change the battle. I have Tutu installed and the bad guys are way smarter and more aggressive than the original. That said it's perfectly possible to out-maneuver Saverok and his Goons even with light-weight parties, though you may have to rely on the age old strategy: "If you reload enough times you might get lucky."

From a role-playing point of view it would be nice to go one-on-one against the big guy to show him who is the 'boss'. Ok, you will need some help from your party, but for a Bard (or better still a Fighter/Mage) it is possible to use Mirror Image, Blur and a load of protection spells to make yourself almost impossible to hit, then you can get in his face while your ranged attackers do their work. That's what I just did with my current party of 5 spell-casters, but it took a few reloads to get his buddies out of the way before we could get to the final head to head confrontation.

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have always thought that the final fight should of been one on one myself. But that would be one tough fight for a Thief, Bard or Druid I would think. I could see a Warrior, Cleric or F/M besting him though. Mirror Image would go a long way, especially with a few castings of it and Giant Strength potion quaffed.

18. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Here are a couple of examples to follow on from the earlier post:

I once played a 'Singing Bard' - that's all he did throughout the game. For the final battle I got him buffed up and protected with Mirror Image so he could stand in the middle of the room singing while the big guy tried to hit him. If the images got depleted I replaced them from scrolls and carried on singing. As usual my ranged attackers eventually finished the fight.

And recently I had a weak party who were getting slaughtered due to the increased difficulty from the Tutu install. I'm talking level 4/5 multi-class characters with low hit points. But then I got lucky! As I said above the opening move is important to get control of the fight. On this occasion my first move was to toss a Chaos spell (from scroll) towards Sarevok. A big fight broke out, so I stood back and watched. After a while one of his so called friends killed him and the game was over. I didn't even consider this as a possible outcome, so I was gobsmacked. No weapons, no XP, no problem!

And then again I once did the final battle with a really weak party, but that's another story alltogether.......

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    TBH I never found Sarevok as traumatic as the Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen(sp?) slime fight, or the low level party vs Gallchobhair/Daer'Ragh fights. Heh I even remember their names to this day.
    Not saying the final battle isn't challenging, but at least reloading works against Sarevok.

20. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Boy does this bring back memories. Mostly bad ones. It took me over fifty reloads (maybe closer to one hundred) the first time. I didn't know about the wand of Monster Summoning. I had a tank fighter PC, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

I finally killed him this way: Got rid of Tazok. My PC wound up face to face with Sarevok. This is usally instant death, but Semaj charmed my PC. For some reason Sarevok did not attack my charmed PC. My party managed to clean up Semaj and Angelo and heal before the charm wore off and and it was the entire party v Sarevok.

Eevn so, my tank had 4 HP left. Khalid and Dynahier were dead, and Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen had 10 HP combined.

I thought it an amazing coincidence when I started SOA with that party (and the same casualties).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.