1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best tank class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Apophis2412, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You beat the battle against the Slavers for Celestial Fury with just a soloed Berserker? I would love to see that! For me, it's always the toughest battle, probaably because I tackle it too early.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I may be thinking of some mod items, but there's the Amulet of Power, the Amulet of Ilmater, maybe 3 other amulets, I think a shield or two, at least one weapon, and for spells there's Protection from Undead and Negative Plane Protection. The former you need scrolls to cast, as no casters get it, and the latter any divine caster can cast at a decent level (think it's level three or four). You may have trouble if you're playing without any druids or clerics of any kind, but only then, and even then it's managable. Oh, and I think the Undead Hunter (Paladin kit) is immune, too.

It's also optional. Notice he didn't say he completed everything, just soloed the game. You can do that and only fight one dragon the whole time.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Scythesong, I don't think I've used the mage's summon planar spell/ability in order to get a tank in a long time. I've come to view a planar's spells as too worthwhile in a tight battle to use him as a tank or cannon fodder. Ogres and so on can serve as a distraction though and elementals (especially princes-though you don't get them via a mage) can put in a bit of fight.... M. swords work quite well though.

NOG

Undead Hunter's are immune to level drain (one of the things I really like about them in a few places). The negative energy protection spell works but is very short lived. If you make your main character a cleric of Lathander (kit) you can also use his boon spell (lasts longer). Where is the amulet of Ilmater (does it come via a Mod)?

For weapons, there is the Mace of Disruption +2. You need to hold on to the metal from the Sir Sarles temple quest to upgrade the Mace of Disruption +1. There are 2 other weapons w. negative energy protection in ToB, but you have to get there to use them-and here we are talking reachable in SoA.

What shields are there that do this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

[​IMG] HAHA when i say i soloed the whole game it means i killed EVERY F*G BODY with my berserker:
    - the guys with celestial fury (which i also beat with my solo assassin believe me or not)
    - ALL of the dragons (i had a hard time only against Draconis and Abazigal)
    - kangaxx the demi-liche and all the other liches

and the same goes with my solo monk!!

soloing is even easier than with a 6 member party because your solo hero will be of higher level and you don't need to keep track of everybody

I even beat Sarevok in BG1 with a solo fighter and later on with a solo thief

:cool:

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Pplr, the Amulet of Ilmater was something you crafted at the forge guy (blanking on his name now) in the Docks district. The more I think about it, the more I think it may have been one of the mod expansions of him. As for shields, I really don't remember (it's been a while), but maybe something of the squire? It was a small shield, I'm pretty sure. Again, may be mod stuff, may not.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Amulet of Ilmater is from the item upgrade mod, and I'm fairly certain that it doesn't grant immunity to level drain.

7. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the further explanations.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

With potions of Magic Protection, I guess that could be done, but now your making me want to try that! Fighter/Mage would be nice for that fight, Stoneskin, Blur and Mirror Image with a great AC, Hasted, magic resistance flowing, guess you could beat that one. Talk about a Glory battle!.With a Berserker, that is a pretty nice feat! Good job Sarevok.:)

9. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

thank you, Blades ;)

BTW a high level monk is even tougher than a berseker of same lvl, these two are the best tanks ever

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only thing I've soloed was a cleric/thief (little T3V1 was born and my computer died so I only got to the underdark ... I may have to reinstall and continue that game). Once you get up in level none of the fights are particularly difficult -- except the rune assassins. From some reason those damn rune assassins at the bottom of the tanner's place just tore me up every time. Irenicus' dungeon can be a bit challenging at times.

Having a high level cleric makes all undead encounter much easier (even Kangaxx and the twisted rune) -- I waltzed through the entire shadow/temple area without being touched, all the shadows exploded before they got close (you have to be careful around the ghosts). Between various invisibility items and sanctuary the slavers compound in the temple district was not difficult. I also found out a dragon can be killed with a simple trap -- after casting harm (it doesn't work every time).

It gets easier with ToB installed -- even boring at times as your character get too powerful for anyone to battle.

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Agreed. Wasn't referring to Daevas and Planetars in particular. Just meant that with some creativity + the right spells + "good" wild surges, the Wild Mage has the best pontential in helping you deal with not having an actual "tank" character.

12. Lark Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's the best tank class depends on how you define tank. There was a very interesting thread about this topic some time ago with excellent posts by thetruth, one of which I like to cite:
    Best regards,
    Lark

13. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Ah memories.

I've said it before and i'll say it again; any class which can cast 'protection from magical weapons' wins as a tank.

14. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ok, it seems your point has been proven with some of the following comments.

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    That someone would make a first post using an aged account just to quote an old, particular post doesn't seem very suspicious. Nope, not one bit. :p

I actually wanted to clarify, but I wasn't sure which approach to take.
    To be precise, the Wild Mage just has Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, so each of his level 1 spells can be converted into any other buffing/summoning/debuff spell in your spell book(even if you can't actually cast them yet). More stoneskins, pfmw, mirror images, mordenkainen's, etc. Debuffing potential is the only factor not mentioned in thetruth's post, but it's not always effective anyway.
    The Wild Mage also has wild surges. "Good" wild surges include such effects as no-save, area effect and the refresh effect (you gain back all your memorized spells). You can imagine what these effects can do for some spells. The bad surges can be crippling, but at higher levels the "good" wild surges will trigger more often.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  16. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Wild mages can be fun to use.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is the SoA-only forum, so unless the OP has ToB installed (and we need to move the thread), ToB discussion is out.

18. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, that had slipped my mind.

19. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've taken them out with my kentheif solo, but i seriously doubt a berserker doing it....:confused::confused:

20. virtualsri Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

kenmage with stone skin on can be tank and meat blender at the same time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.