1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Back onto G R R Martins Dreamsongs. It's pretty good (I read the Hedge Knight first and its by far my favourite).

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I just got done with Kurt Angle's "It's True! It's True!" Kurt Angle's achievements = awesome. Kurt Angle's achievements as told by him = boring!

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I decided to re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. I am severely disappointed -- they didn't age well at all, IMO. I haven't laughed once and I'm basically through the second book. Not sure I have the stamina for the rest.

I remember liking them very much and thinking they were really funny back when I first read them in the '80's. Now, not so much . . .

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree. I read Hitchhiker's for the first time 3 years ago and thought it was several miles over-rated. I didn't even want to go on to the second book. And the movie version was a big let-down, despite the stellar casting.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have re-read the Hitchhiker several times from my early teens up to a reasonable adult age. Was a few years since I read it now but I found it equally good. Sure the jokes are not as fun when you know what is going to happen which I found was the biggest problem with the movie.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jokes told the second time are rarely as funny dmc -- but I still get a kick out of the rain clouds and their "God."

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I still haven't got the nick of flying. (Throw yourself down and make sure to miss the ground.)

<----- I guess my board title marks me as a Hitchhiker's fan. :heh:

ION, re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Oh, I know all about the second time around theory. I actually re-read these books back in the early '90's and still found them funny back then. I just think the humor is a bit stale now. Maybe it's me (although I still laugh at Monty Python, so I'm not a humorless blob . . . ).

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Of course you do DMC, Monty Python will live on in Humor-Heaven forever!:)

10. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I'm almost done with the 5th book in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, Memnoch the Devil. The book is interesting, but a little to descriptive and not enough character development. I thought the first two books are by far the best in the series. I'm looking forward to reading The Vampire Armand. Haven't been through it yet.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Now re-reading Gilead's Blood, a Warhammer Fantasy novel. Pretty much how I remembered it- fairly solid light reading. Shame about a few spelling mistakes- unless, of course, the author intended for the main character to thrust, parry and then faint. Hmm.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I enjoyed reading Nagash, especially the part where he waws taken aback by somebody and their 'baldness' :D

I say enjoyed... it was written to a very poor literary standard, the author employed methods well known for their difficulty of expression and was found lacking - the time jumps were simply tangled and coupled with the jump of geographic locations with little or no sequential lead left much to be desired.

Still, only read it to flesh out my knowledge of Nehekhara

13. olla86 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Now I am reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and I like it greatly. It is a detective with the elements of history.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reading the first half of the last book in Erikson's "Tale of Malazan: Book of the Fallen" "Dust of the Fallen". I was browsing my online bookstore and I just stumbled upon it. I should have known, Erikson hasn't missed a publishing date ever. It is a huge brick of 890 pages and it starts with a disclaimed where Erikson apologize for the splitting up the book. I love it and it has started really nice.

Before that I discovered a new series and a new writer I enjoyed quite a lot. "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Robert V. S. Redick. Heartily recommended. Do not want to talk it up too much but we might have another top tier fantasy guy.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Just finished "Dracula." Now I have to re-read it for a class :p Slash I won't and just hope my memory of the last month serves me well.

16. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@joacquin: Thanks for the tip :)
    It seems that I relied on Amazon too much ...

P.S. I just finished "The Last of the Wine" by Mary Renault.
    It's a superb historical novel of Athens at the end of the Peloponnesian War.
    Nobody describes ancient Greece better than her !

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Uh, Joa, that's not the last book in the series. There will be a tenth; The Crippled God. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in interviews that, um, his next six books after that (!) will all be set in the Malazan world, but won't be part of the main story. Or something like that. I'm too lazy to go double check.

Oh, Tor is releasing an omnibus of Erikson's novellas soonish; all three in a $15 trade paperback.

18. joacqin

Media:
    Amaster, read what I wrote. It is the first half of the last book. The last book is divided into two books, Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God at least according to Steve's foreword.

With his productivity he can probably squeese out a few ten thousand pages of Malazan stories before he dies and I can barely wait. Hopefully Esslemont will continue in the way of Return of the Crimson Guard then we can have two good prolific Malazan writers around!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, I've heard it's a cliff hanger, so I have to decide if I want to wait for the last one and read them together or not. Regardless, we don't have it here. It will be released in January. We are getting Erikson, Dust of Dreams, the last book of the Shadowmarch series by Tad Williams, another Saxon book from Bernard Cornwell and a new book, Dragon something or other, from Robin Hobb. All of them in the same month. We always seem to be last.... :(

20. joacqin

Media:
    Why is that? I do not get it, when it comes to books the US seems to get everything last. Even books written by American authors and with American publishers. Also, I order all my books online, is it not possible to just order from Canada without paying an obscene amount of money?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.