1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Iku-Turso, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just came home from watching Inglourious Basterds and I found it quite entertaining. The guy who plays the "main" nazi completely steals the show from Pitt and company. Worth the cinema ticket.

3. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just saw District 9, words was Peter Jackson spends around US$35M while G.I. Joe was US$180M. The Joes pales in comparison when it comes to special effects... and that's not to mention about plots and stories.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Pineapple Express", Laughed my a$$ off@!

"Sleepers", an older film, lots of stars, good flick!

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've just watched In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, I found it unexpectedly entertaining.

6. Saber

I heard that was wicked terrible? I wanted to see it because Jason Statham is in it, but it's 3.something rating at imdb turned me off..

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Somehow, someway, my wife convinvced me to watch "Dan in real life" with her. Ugh! Double Ugh! After watching it, I was feeling a little "light". It took me 3 viewings of "The Dirty Dozen" to bring me back to "Real Man Land".

Word to the wise, never say yes to a chic flick, you'll ALWAYS regret it!

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Oh gods, do I hear you!

My other half is a sucker for a chick flick, drives me nuts!

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Terminator Salvation. Not too bad

10. Blades of Vanatar

Also watch "Dupliciity" over the weekend. Keeps ya thinking, not the ending I was hoping for, but did expect toward the end.

11. olla86 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yesterday I reviewed Mr.and Ms.Smith! They are great!:p

12. Caradhras

Media:
    I've just noticed that Colin Firth turned 49 today and Hugh Grant turned 49 yesterday, I guess this is fascinating when considering chick flicks among which Bridget Jones's Diary is a landmark.

I learned that the hard way when I agreed -against my better judgement- to watch Practical Magic back in 1999.

The last movie I've watched is a French movie called "Les Dents de la Nuit" it's a spoof like Scary Movie and thoroughly enjoyable if you're into that kind of movies. It has some of the best lines since "Les Charlots contre Dracula" and I highly recommend it if you're fluent in French and like lowbrow comedy. :D

13. Saber

I just watched Rashomon, a Japanese film by Kurosawa, for my class. Not sure what I think yet.

14. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Be sure to tell me your impressions. I wanted to see it for a long time. I have "seven samouraï" but I haven't had time to watch it yet...

15. Caradhras

Media:
    Rashomon is even better and more interesting. It's my favourite movie by Kurosawa and it's not that easy to choose when considering how many great movies he made. Too bad you were "forced" to watch it as I know for a fact that it's not the best way to get to fully appreciate such a movie.

Rashomon is a fascinating study in narration and storytelling. The confrontation between the main characters is unforgettable. There is a depth and a humanity that is seldom seen on the silver screen.

The best way is to let it sink in before trying to analyze it... Still that is a luxury you can't necessarily afford when you have to write a paper for a class.

16. Saber

For me, Rashomon is more fun to analyze than to watch; the intent was good, but the acting was mediocre and melodramatic, and the ending was completely random.

That being said, it is a good story about whether or not you can trust anyone's word - it tells the same story from multiple viewpoints, and it is up to you to decided who is right. Kurosawa is undoubtedly a genius, and his direction of the action and how it relates to who is telling the story, but parts of it are very slow.

The things I read about it made me appreciate the movie more, particularly considering the history of Japan - it was made after WWII, when the Japanese had been invaded and defeated, despite never having expected to lose (the government had some damn good propaganda). They were demoralized and had no hope for a moral life, and this film shows human beings at their lowest, and yet still offers a bit of hope for a depressed country.

You should definitely see it, but don't go in expecting it to change your life.

17. Caradhras

Media:
    Interesting outlook. If I may I'd like to point out a few things. Bear in mind that it is a 1950 Japanese movie and you'll find that the acting is consistent (there is a theatrical quality to certain scenes). I don't mean to be patronizing but it's quite clear that if you expect the pace of current blockbusters you can only be disappointed but if you try and keep an open mind you'll appreciate it a lot more.

By the way if you want more shall we say flamboyant movies you could give Ran or Kagemusha a try. Painting was very important to Kurosawa.

18. Saber

Oh, I am not looking for super fast paced, it was just that it seemed particularly slow to me, even for an older movie. Ironically, Kurosawa does so many quick cuts that despite the slow pace, it is still visually stimulating (unlike a lot of the first talkies in the 30's, that were so stationary that they looked like filmed theatre productions).

This is also one of the first Japanese films I have scene (aside from modern anime), so perhaps I am just not used to their style of acting. I will definitely be checking some more out (both required by my class and not).

19. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I saw both Ran and Kagemusha. When I first tried to watch Ran, I fell alseep on it. A year later or something, I gave it another try and I watched and enjoyed every minute of it. It depends what kind of mood you're on. You can't force yourself to watch movies that are more artistic and less fast paced (like Bergman films for example). If you do, you won't enjoy them.

Caradhras likes this.
  20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yellowbeard, good bad movie :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.