1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #108

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I guess I should have been more clear - I meant if it works both ways: one letter is always one sound, and one sound is always one letter. French, Italian and Spanish have the first to an extent, but not the second (though Italian actually might... not too sure about this one). Easter languages tend to follow both rules more often - Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi and Urdu all do, and I think Japanese and Mandarin do too.

Does this mean Serbian follows the rule both ways then? You can read it if you see it, and you can write it if you hear it? Even if you don't understand what any of it means? That would be pretty cool :xx:

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, working both ways, pretty much. It's like... writing phonetics, only not.
    In theory, you could write down something said in a language you don't know (provided you distinguished the sounds used) and someone could read the note and translate from it, if they knew the language.

Best bit is that (aside from Cyrillic script) we also use a Latin alphabet, plus some additional letters (ć. č, š, ž, dž, đ) - both are equally used (synchronic digraphia), so if you use Latin alphabet, you have 85% of the data needed to successfully read Serbian.

Grammar is unfortunately, not as fun. :p

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah...you're not supposed to do that. I doesn't feel too good. :p

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Y'think???

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I need to clean up my desk I think. I put down my USB and can't find it again :o. Must be the stacks of books...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The mature users group is now ready, so those of you who are 18+ or older and would be interested in a corner of BoM where there's a bit more freedom, check it out. Yes, you'll have to agree with the disclaimer and follow the instructions in order to join. You can PM me with any questions or post them here prior to joining, or inside the group once you're a member.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I came *thisclose* to blowing my top at a :nolike: telemarketer :nolike: today. He just couldn't (or more likely wouldn't!) understand that I wasn't even remotely interested in switching my Internet lines over to his company. When it finally sunk in he almost scolded me for not wanting to save money! (Whatever saving there might be in it wasn't worth the risk I'd be running for switching Internet lines, email address, and God knows what else, not to mention that my current provider is up and running like 99.9% of the time!)

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh no, I think I just killed Tal!

My party just cleared Ramazith's tower, nuked everything with multiple Icestorms and Cloudkills. Acid Fog too! I didn't realize Tal was staying there! I think I killed'em! Sorry about that Tal!:cry:

Wait Tal, I'm a Necromancer, maybe I could raise ya. You could be our 1st Draco-lich on SP. Whew... all is not lost!:p

9. Ziad

Media:
    There's a very, very easy way to deal with telemarketers without having to spend the rest of the day trying to get your blood pressure back to manageable levels:

"Hi, I'm calling to tell you about-"
    "Not interested."
    *Click*

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ziad, that's exactly what I'm planning to do in the future!

Or I'll do something like this guy! :grin: :evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hahaha, that is awesome Monty, very amusing.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How considerate of you. :shake:

13. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    LMAO! :lol: That was really funny. I also listened to the cemeraty caretake one. Also hilarious!

14. Ziad

Media:
    This is brilliant :lol:

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Actually, SP has (had?) a Dracolich -- DarkStrider.

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I think we can say had now :(

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

What happened to him?

18. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Was he a casualty of WoW, like so many others?

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Unfortunately, yeah,you could say so. Too bad -- in my book, high marks on respect for this guy.

Could be wrong -- anyone correct me if I am -- but I don't think so.

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My university is famous for swine flu (well probably just more standard flu) cases... yeahhhhh~~~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.