1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any suggestions for my next party setup?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I want to go for a new BG-2 game over the easter days and I want to play a good party.

My main char will probably be a dc swashbuckler-mage my next time through. As for a second pc I´m hesitating - I´m considering to take (a) Donaldus - halfling cavalier :D or (b) Alobar Steelfist, dwarven berserker :confused:

With this limitations I don´t know which other chars I should take - I need a cleric, Mazzy would be cool too, just like Jaheira/ Viccy for romancing or Keldorn for Carsomyr (I simply can´t imagine Donaldus weilding a two-handed-sword ....) and so on ...

Any ideas?

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Good on you! Lets see a whole party of vertically challenged heroes!

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For variety, I tried an all women party. It was very effective once they had leveled up a bit but hard going without a decent melee tank at the start. I'm now running a non-magic user only party. It's too early to say how tricky this is going to be with some of the better magical adversaries but so far no real problems. (I've posted about both these party types)
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001851.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001701.html

However, I still reckon your better of going for an interesting mix of characters just to get dialogue. Hell, next time I'll even consider having Hagan Das (sorry I know that's not his name it's just what I think of when I see it) and the Druid bloke just to see what they have to say.

I also think Minsc is a must for any party, just because he is the most fun. As to effective party combinations, I don't think it really matters, you can get away with anything really especially once you've been through once.

(Stands back and waits for the outraged cries demanding 2 tanks, a thief, a cleric and a mage)

PS of course, to keep Ironbeard happy, you could go for a party of Aerie and the 5 dwarves....

4. shadowboxer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well I say go for an all Evil party with one good character. They get in lots of fights, U don't have to worry about your actions cause they don't care! The one good cahracter should either be: Aerie(she gets shocked when U do something bad) or Keldorn(he gets mad)
    Hope that helps!

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

It's indeed a whole difference between playing BG2 with a neutral/good party and an evil party. It's also a a lot more difficult so maybe that's a good idea.

6. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Has anybody tried a full dwarf ,gnome, elf / halfling party. No Humans allowed.

Mazzy
    Jaheira
    Korgan
    Aerie
    Jan

Could be fun ???

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Nice idea but I think there are real problems trying to keep Korgan and Jaheira in the same party. This isn't just an alignment problem its a real bust up and falling out. A bit of nark & niggle, real argie bargie stuff. Has anyone lese tried it succesfully?

8. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31

Sorry forgot about those two or three , you could also try Viconia but I think its also do or die stuff there , wait is'nt Haer Daleis an elf - Tiefling. There you go a full party , that should get along

but you get the idea that I'm trying to put through , maybe you can have one other unique non NPC character to make six.

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Another thought has just hit (God I'm thinking about my next time through and I've only just started again). How about a party of all of the character classes that no-one ever plays (possibly because they are crap but I wouldn't like to upset anyone who does play them). For example:

Jester - half orc
    Swashbuckler - halfling
    Shapeshifter - Half Orc
    Inquisitor - gnome
    Wizard Slayer (although I was almost convinced that these aren't too bad in the chatroom yesterday - the manual gets their bonus wrong) - gnome
    and whatever your own personal non-favouite is.

PS just noticed the race restrictions mean you can't use the races I suggested - shame.

PPS Slappy cringes waiting for the flames from all the players who use one of the above classes.

10. cathon Gems: 5/31

How about the tree hugging party?
    Use Minsc, Jaheira, Valygar and Cernnd. To make up for mage abilities you can call Aerie a tree hugger(based on her hatred of underground and general elfness) and/or try and do something with your character. Unfortunately, I'm not sure a druid or ranger can dual to mage. Best might be the avenger druid.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

A halfling with a 2-handed sword would be a sight worth seeing!

I've never tried it, but can you use Shadow Keeper to make "out of the box" combinations, like halfling cavalier, or half-orc sorcerer?

It could be fun to play a group of mis-fits like that. "We've been kicked out of every respectable RPG in the industry. We're all mutts!"

MAT

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] I just created a halfling cavalier - his rescue throws are really fabulous (almost like a monk´s). I intend to let Keldorn wield Carsomyr - my halfling will have the flail of the ages, daystar or Namarra and/or skullcrusher - daystar *IS* a two handed-sword on a halfling :D

I don´t knwo who else I´ll take and romance so I´still open to suggestions ;)

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

If your Halfling is male, let him hook up with the winged-one. The two goody-goodys are almost two sweet! (awwwww)

Or Mazzy. A little short-bread never hurt anyone! :D

You'll probably turn into a good tank, especially with Keldorn, the two of you will stand up to anything. That makes Minsc optional - fun, but too many fighters up front?

Why not take Cerd (turning into a greater wolfwere is killer - literally); Mazzy (for the short-bread romance); Edwin (for a little dark side fun) and the rich b*ch?

14. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Just a quick note, unfortunatley there is no romance option for Mazzy (even if you are playing a halfling) shame but true. So you're stuck with Aerie, Jaheira or Viconia. Now Viconia might open the eyes of an innocent little halfling.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thanks Slappy. I didn't know that Mazzy prefered her own short sword to male companions!

When romancing Vic, don't they change the background music to "black magic woman"?

Look out little cavalier!

16. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Poor Mazzy - she and glorious Donaldus will never come together :(

However - I think I´ll run two games simultaneously: a good one and en evil one. So I´m still thinking about my first char for tis game. I considered: monk/ asassin/ swashbuckler/ dwarven barbarian/ priest of Talos but I don´t know which to choose.
    Any ideas?

17. L'Israe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Try a monk.
    The first time i tried it, I thought I would turn out to be some weakling cleric preaching for goodness. Not so. Monks are especially good fighters in hand to hand combat, their 'stunning blow' ability is, well, stunning, and they can use most good swords. Plus their armor class gets quite low near the end (too bad about the no-armour restriction).
    I'm busy plaing an assassin, but they're not so hot.

18. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Having played both a monk and a k/thief (what rags is now), I'd stay away from the monk. Sure he's a whirling dervish of Death, but a monk plays very similiar to a thief. He's you're first strike weapon. Just like a thief without the backstab bonus (THAT would be a one-man-killing machine!)

Too similiar= boring.

I'd try (and am going to) a straight cleric or mage, just to get off the front lines for a while. Finally have someone who can use a +5 weapon, Keldorn, and use a few of the NPCs I haven't ever used before... Mazzy, Val, etc... Maybe even ctrl Q me a recruit off the street. maybe a dragon....

19. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Still searching for my evil counter-char for the parallel game. I´ve recently considered to play a real weakling :D , an mc mage-thief WITHOUT grandmastery ... or I´m going with a nice pure hack´n-slash dwarven barbarian - but that would be too similar to my halfling pally. Maybe a sorcerer ... or be a priest of thalos (though this would be kinda uneconomic for Viccy already is an excellent clerix :( )

So You have the choice: elven or gnomish mc mage-thief (neutral evil I think), dwarven barbarian, sorcerer or priest of thalos - vote for it!

20. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] I´m getting more and more interested in the idea to play my good old BG-1 elven mc mage-thief as an MC mage-swashbuckler (using shadowkeeper) ... The advantages would be: fighting abilities like or better than a fighter/ mage/ thief (initiantive of a same level fighter!), -2 AC, availability of elven chain and escpecially: Better use of XP compared to a fmt.
    Disadvantage: no backstabb, still inferior to a dc char :D, not really conform with the rules ;)

However I have another problem with my good party setup: I don´t want to take Arie for I played this romance before. I haven´t finished Jaheira yet so I want to have her in my party. I want to have Imoen, Keldorn and Mazzy in my party too - leaves one place: I´d like to have a cleric to deal with undead - but my only choice is Anomen :( So what should I doo - convert Arie to a pure cleric ?! Dunno :( Your opinions please ...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.