1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which is the Greatest Rock Band Ever???

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Blades of Vanatar, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What about the Jimi Hendrix Experience? I don't know about Noel, but I think that Mitch's influence on the music is almost on par with Jimi's.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The only track I like on that one is "The Narrow Way." David Gilmore's "experiment" (probably more with substances) on that LP.

Agreed. The interaction and musical chemistry between Hendirx and Mitchells are legendary aspects of the Experience.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What I find funny is in 2003, Rolling Stone listed Led Zepplin IV as 66th on the top 500 all time rock albums list. I think it's their best, with I and II right behind.

Did anyone ever notice how in the movie "Fast times at Ridgemount High" Damone tell Rat "When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV." Then later in the movie, after the date on the way to her house, he is playing Kashmir in the car. Was that a director's goof up or Rat's character screwing up?

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Seconded!

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

"Greatest" is such a tough nut to crack, especially since "Rock" has fragmented into so many different sub-genres. Certainly I love Led Zeppeling and the Stones, and I agree that the Beatles are so hugely influential as to be in their own dimension, but when it comes to music that I enjoy just kicking back and listening to, I go with bands that are not as popular but I really enjoy their performances despite a relative lack of critical acclaim or genre applicability. To wit:

Dire Straits
    The Alan Parsons Project
    Huey Lewis and the News
    Supertramp
    Def Leppard
    Aerosmith

There's lots of others. We'd need to define greatness more specifically, which is always tough when it comes to art. I mean, could it mean:

A: Financially successful? That's a really good measure but not the best.

B: Cited by other artists as inspirational?

C: Number of records sold??

D: Number of songs written by band members (as opposed to covered)

E: Winner of a poll? (somewhat circular, but you get my point -- popular vote)

F: Social influence? (socially active songs, how badly they pissed off the Man)

The list of possibilities is endless.

Kick butt thread, though!

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Beatles, they didn't make a single song that I dislike.

If you're going for harder stuff I have to go with Led Zeppelin for my second. I don't listen to them much anymore, so when I do it is that much better.

For a more original choice than those two I'll mention that I really like Neil Young and Crazy Horse as well.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Agree, just Youtube Live Aid. I mean, however you look at it, they were successful, influential, and rockin'.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I don't think there is one band that is the greatest band ever, but Pink Floyd is pretty damn close for me. The Beatles are hit or miss for me - they have some great stuff, and then they have stuff that sounds like they were on drugs while writing and playing it (which they probably were).

Blades, btw, I was joking about U2; I saw your post and couldn't resist :p

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    See, as far as I'm concerned those are one and the same ;)

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    ...And you were complaining about the Beatles on substances? :p

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Beatles. No contest. No other rock band comes close.

12. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, there a number of rocks bands and we're bound to forget a few. To me, the greatest are Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Velvet Underground. MC5 is another great band!

I know a single person isn't a band, but Hendrix, Dylan and Zappa must deserve special treatment... :)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What about the Bangles? Or Bandanarama? The Go-Go's? Belinda Carlisle in Playboy was a religious experience.

Sometime bands are about eye candy as well.

LKD likes this.
  14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Retort:
    :p

15. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Heh, I have a wav of that quote... :lol:

And it's not only music. A lot of great novelists and poets were reeeeeeally high (probably on opium...)... :D

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

T2 - Are you saying you're a big Gene Simmons fan?:D

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'd say Pink Floyd or the Beatles.

But Queen is most definitely my favourite!

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Haha, touche. But, Pink Floyd on drugs sounds very chill and relaxed; the Beatles go into a happy-go-lucky frenzy with jumbled instruments that sounds more like a horny cat attacking a pirate ship than music. (See: the part of Hello Goodbye where they add a crazy tambourine and start singing "Hey-la, hey-la lo-ah").

That being said, most of their stuff is good :)

19. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm kind of madly in love with Fleetwood Mac...

20. Blades of Vanatar

Funny thing is, though I think Zepplin is the greatest, my favorite band is Soundgarden.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.