1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil wizard construct

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by findarato, Aug 19, 2009.

1. findarato Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I am kind of stuck at this point of the game.
    I have been trying to keep the evil wizard from being quicker with his cannon, but he keeps killing me with it. The first time I talked to him, then he killed me, and later I entered his place again, but then he didn't talk to me again. It wasn't difficult to kill him then, and I got his cannon spell. When I talked to Nordom, I could not upgrade him. Did I forget the converstaion with him because I died?
    Then I reset the maze and tried to confront the wizard again. Is it essential to talk to him again? Is it even possible to prevent his cannon, or is there a way to survive it and then kill him and his constructs?

I have tried several spells, including the cannon, blackspere and scid rain. Somehow I seem to mess it up every time, although I really could not have cast my spell faster than I did.

Maybe someone has an idea. I would not like to leave Fall-from-grace for Nordom if he can't be upgraded.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You may like to have a look here for more details on the requirements for Nordoms' updgrades.

It does not matter if you die during the battle, also resetting the maze will not create a new Wizard - Nordom and the Wizard construct spawn but once - the initial reset to the Hard difficulty. Thus both are lost if the maze is reset before encountering either of them.

Just talk to Nordom, ensure he knows you are the director and talk to him through all the different conversation paths so you can eventually upgrade him, you can only upgrade him once though.

3. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

the first round in the maze I defeated all the constructs, including the wizard (I talked to him and then he killed me with the cannon spell), I did not reload but saved and entered his room again, then he did not speak. I killed his 6 constructs, then him and got the cannon spell. Since I did not manage to find the dialog with Nordom where I could tell him I am the director, I reset the maze and found the wizard and Nordom again. So now I have the chance to kill him once more, it has to be a respawn since I now have the cannon spell from my first visit.
    Nordom is still waiting for me, but he won't upgrade with anything I say to him. So I was believing I had to talk to the wizard (again) first. But I simply can't get past his cannon alive. I know this sound complicated, and maybe I'm missing some other chances.

BTW my INT is 21, so that should not be the problem.

Maybe I am just fixed on defeating his cannon. Is this even possible? I have tried many different spells, but always ended up second. He simply could not be stopped from casting his spell.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The problem you had is that on the only time you managed to defeat him, he did not speak. Unless he talks and mentions he killed the director while Nordom is listening, you cannot upgrade Nordom.

I've been able to stop him from casting the spell a few times, but even when I couldn't it only takes me a couple of retries to defeat him (though the canon is painful).

5. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

thanks for your replies, but still the question remains how I can stop him from using the cannon. Or is there a way to survive the cannon? I tried several shields without success.

If it is so that I messed it up, I'll have to try again in a new game.
    wait, you said while nordom is listening, so maybe I go to him first and take him to the wizard. I had not done so.

6. Qwinn Gems: 3/31

"It does not matter if you die during the battle, also resetting the maze will not create a new Wizard - Nordom and the Wizard construct spawn but once - the initial reset to the Hard difficulty. Thus both are lost if the maze is reset before encountering either of them."

This is definitely not true of the wizard - if you kill him, and then reset the maze, you will indeed get another wizard to spawn. It is thus possible to get more than one copy of the Cannon spell. (In fact, it causes a bug because it lets you go through the wizard's entire conversation again from the beginning, which allows you to get one of Nordom's upgrades multiple times... this will be fixed in my Fixpack 4.0).

Not sure what happens to Nordom if you don't pick him up and reset, but I'm guessing he'd remain available as well until you talk to him for the first time.

Qwinn

7. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I can answer this one. I did not find Nordom the first time in the maze, strangely I roamed it all without encountering him, more than 60 rooms, and then I did a reset because 1. Nordom was not there, and 2. the wizard had not talked to me, and they both are respawned.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Truly? I have never encountered the Wizard more than once after resetting the maze. Could this be a difference in game version? I've certainly never seen Nordom after a reset either. First run through I accidently reset to Hard after setting it the first time :lol: luckily I could reload!

9. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This isn't true - my entire strategy for getting Nordom involves repeatedly resetting the maze until I get lucky and find him early on, and I've also ran into the Wizard several times while doing this.

10. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

yes, both Nordom and the wizard respawn with every reset. I did it 2 times. And, thanks for your advices all of you, it worked now to upgrade Nordom. All I had to do was to get to him first and let him hear the wizard talking, that invokes the dialogs needed, not just my memory of the wizard's words.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.