1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ashes 2009

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Duffin, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wonder if Glenn McGrath has changed his series prediction to 3-1 yet. :p

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Again, that's my point. If these Australians can't adjust to English conditions, then they are not a very intimidating bowling attack. You're agreeing with my comment.

Plenty of great Australian bowlers have done well in England before (and played in county cricket) but this lot are not great, and even Ian Bell should be able to score runs against them.

It's going to be up to Ponting and Clarke to win the next game for Australia, but without penetrative bowlers, great batting just brings you a draw.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, let's be right. Australia up till now have had ridiculous all-time great bowlers. You can't get those generation after generation. They now have the same 'pretty good' attack as anyone else, who can be awesome on their day. It's up to Ponting to get the best out of them - a problem every other single captain in the world faces. He's had it easy till now.

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31

It looks like its going to chuck it down for the next few days, looks like a draw is on the cards. I even heard the match may be cancelled.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31

1 day to go. If Flintoff is fit, Sidebottom in for Broad? If Flintoff isn't fit (which i think is more likely) Trott in for Freddie and Sidebottom in for Broad? Or do you bring Trott in for Bopara anyway?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Is Flintoff really that important to England? Or did they just have a really unlucky bad day yesterday?

7. Harbourboy

I guess not just one unlucky day. What has happened to England? They've fallen to pieces!

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Bad team decisions, dodgy batting and great bowling.

9. Harbourboy

That was a slaughter. Who would you pick for the next test then?

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I'd play Flintoff if he was in a coma.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'd drop Bell and for Trott and play Colly at 3 with Trott at 4 and Bopara at 5.

A team something like this...

Strauss
    Cook
    Collingwood
    Trott
    Bopara
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Onions
    Anderson

Give Freddy a few injections and get him on. We need him, one last swansong. There's no balance in the team without him.

12. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I'd do the same but keep Bell in for Bopara to bat at 4 or 5.

13. Harbourboy

No room for Sidebottom?

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Isn't Anderson carrying an injury? Get Sidebottom in the side, he is reliable even when it isn't swinging. Anderson is completely unplayable when it's swinging but becomes cannon fodder when it's not.

Broad will be the next Flintoff!

15. Harbourboy

Have you changed your mind on your mate "Harmy" then?

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Not really, it's just a toss up between him, Onions and Sidebottom. It's a close call - depends on the pitch really.

17. Harbourboy

Why not bring back Mark Ramprakash and Marcus Trescothick!

18. Harbourboy

No debate here about the changes to the English batting line-up that are being touted in the media? Bringing back Ramprakash would be great, a bit like how they wheeled out Graeme Thorpe a few years back.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ramprakash is a class, class player. He averages over 80 every year, even though he's nearly 40. In English conditions, and at the Oval, he'd score loads. As a one off game, it'd be good. I'd still prefer Trott though.

20. Harbourboy

Bringing back a 40 year old would be awesome. Even I'd back him to do well. Everyone loves a fairy tale like that. Too many players retire at 30 these days.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.