1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2 questions about bards

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by merlac, Jul 21, 2009.

1. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have a bard in my party and I was wondering about two things:
    1. Does Lingering song allow for singing two songs at once? Say you start with the Tymora song, stop, have it go into "using feat: lingering song", start singing war chant and then alternate the songs each round. Will you get both effects?

2. Does the luck effect from the bard song stack with luck bonuses from items?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

1. Yes, even 3 songs at once since it lasts for 3 rounds.

2. Yes, it does.

3. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Actually, you can sing ALL the songs at once with Lingering Song!

If you pause the interface, and select/de-select each available song in turn, your characters will all benefit from the song effects (it even shows multiple harp icons in the character portraits). Then your bard can go ahead and begin casting spells or attacking without "wasting" a round. Who's under-optimized now? ;)

I would consider this...stretching the rules. Not to say I haven't used it from time to time, though. :D

4. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Really? It usually takes about a second after unpausing before the music icon shows up, so I figured it would be then that the effect took hold. Or do you use the "autopause: end of round" to time it just right?

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's due to the Lingering Song feat: if you deactivate the song even before its effects regularly start, a 2-round song kicks in to replace it. You can seriously abuse this by singing every song, or multiples of the same song. Do it while paused and the stacking is potentially limitless. For two rounds. So I hope you enjoy clicking;).

6. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG] Yep, and in addition, multiple bards can sing songs simultaneously. No, not only could you have a single bard singing an infinite number of songs, you could have an infinite chorus of up to six bards! :D:p

Seriously, though, there are really only three bard songs that are consistently useful: the first, third, and seventh. The others have effects that are duplicated elsewhere (paladin resistance to fear, etc.) or are just plain unreliable (the Siren's song - the DC on that seems to be quite low).

Generally, it's agreed that 11 bard levels is enough. The higher level spell selections aren't that great (although if someone thinks otherwise, I'd love to hear it). Sorcs and pallys are good mix-ins, although mixing with paladin requires "no alignment restrictions" from the Ease of Use mod.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    High level Shades spell? (summoned monster scales with level)
    Higher level Shadow Conjuration? (same)
    Mass Haste? Wail of the Banshee?
    Not to mention two Viols of Hollow Men (casts shades, bard only, useful 'coz it casts instantly for instant encounters)

Facts about bards:
    Same BAB as clerics
    Good buffing spells
    Good summoning spells
    Bard Songs
    Use Magic Device

Facts about the game:
    Has good Axes/Greataxes, some of which are ranged

Add the two, times two: Two greataxe wielding, ranged drow bards with good BAB and good damage with good buffs, the ability to continually summon some very powerful allies, and able to keep up double Ballad of Three Heroes, Tymora's Melodies and Warchants of Sith
    Add a swirfneblin Priest of Oghma (for identify and misc) and a elf Rogue/Diviner

Result: Party were all members can cast Wail of the Banshee, where all members can summon something powerful to keep up a wall of summons for a long time, where diplomacy, thieving, etc. are all covered, where everybody gains levels well (synchs perfectly - the Wizard levels first for fireball and the rest reach their levels at just the right time), where low levels are also covered (a tanker swirf and a fast-leveling wizard), where people have enough buffs and songs that each party member and all those summons are basically all killing machines (the wizard stays at the back, of course), where anyone can use healing and resurrect spells/scrolls, where everyone can render himself immune to attacks using Mirror Image while their summons tank, where all the fighters have SR so that with proper buffs the Wizard can nuke at will, where everyone can go invisible if need be, where everyone can cast blur,etc etc etc.
    My UPP.

Unfortunately people do not condone the use of "overpowered summons" and yet condone the use of a cleric with 70 something AC and even a "decoy" character so... yeah. Party not for everyone. Micromanagement level is also somewhat higher than most UPP's.

At the heart of the party's effectiveness are the double bard songs - very important (everyone, even the summons, starts to crit more often, save against spells more often, do more damage, withstand more damage, withstand fear), the high level spells (wall of summon+quadruple wail of the banshee to prevent being overwhelmed), the perfect synergy between the 4 classes (two go invisible and summon monsters, the other two cast mirror image before going invisible so aggro goes to them first before shifting to the newly summoned monsters, then they break their invisibility and summon their monsters while everyone starts to cast each of his/her aoe buffs. Summoning/buffing is done in a few seconds with no hassle) and the combined buffs of the four classes. A human druid (5th slot) is optional. Only party downside: no one to use cera sumat. So yeah. Look, drool, no touchie.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

It's not the overpoweredness of the summons that personally bugs me, it's the hassle of having them around, blocking the passage for my characters and having to cast them in the first place when they're clearly superfluous after a dose of 1-2 high AC tanks. :)

9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    And vice versa. :p

Yeah, they take more micromanagement. Still, I prefer to just order monsters around rather than taking active risks I guess. Party would probably make excellent bad guys in some other campaign.

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm trying to think in terms of practicality here:

One bard singing one song is the best (cheat free) addition to a party, you get a free hand in the back, who can support the melee team better than 2 bards could. Having 2 bards just detracts from the melee power of the team (again, bug-abuse-free) - you're not starting an orchestra! I wouldn't advise a bard for a party of less than 5 members either. Playing fair with the bard is also more practical, it saves you tons of clicking to reactivate song stacks every two rounds. I find the 'autopause: Spell Cast' option extremely user friendly, but this doesn't pause the game when a song expires, or when items are used. That's why the spell books and innate abilities are way better;).

My first attempt at a full bard had maxed STR at start, at the expense of other stats. But I discovered that a bard adds nothing to combat, so I recreated it to maximize my more relevant stats. Since the bard must keep singing, he can't really engage in melee. An occasional spell is practical though, since autopause kicks in, and you can reactivate the song before the Lingering Song effect expires.
    In fact, bards should be kept from melee, functioning only as a decoy (and a good one at that, since running around doesn't distract him from his primary function - singing). Clerics are the best melee characters; their buffs are unmatched. Even my mages fight in melee regularly; they have decent strength, and their buffs are real handy in melee. But bards? Keep their strength low, and design them for singing/spellcasting only. Melee and singing don't mix, not practically anyway.
    Here's my versatile party summarized:
    Dreadmaster: Tanking, buffs and healing. Occasional enchantment.
    Morninglord: Tanking, buffs and healing. Occasional fire evocation.
    Druid: Tanking, spellcasting.
    Illusionist: Ranged, spellcasting, occasional melee (either buffed, or just for cleaning up;)).
    Sorcerer: Ranged, spellcasting, often joins melee (has good STR and buffs)
    Bard: Singing, decoy, spellcasting (& items). NEVER EVER MELEE: bards offer nothing to a melee situation.

p.s.: these character's mix-in classes offer vital bonuses to their abilities, without them they'd be just a mediocre team...

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Moved to other thread.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.