1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil NPCs vs Good/Neutral Ones

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zort, May 29, 2001.

1. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Is it just me or are the good/neutral npc's weak when compared to the evil ones. Viconia gets innate high magic resistance. Edwin gets more spells than all other mages. I never tried Keldorn but I heard he's good. And taking a look at Sarevoks stats he will certainly be a better NPC than any fighter type NPC on BG2 .All the good npc's npc-only ability's can be had on a PC but you get higher stas for a PC. Except for Jan and 1d2 mass damage bolts with a samll chance to stun are easily outmatched by an archer PC.

2. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I completely agree with it, but sometimes the good npc's are good for getting the full story

3. antoine Guest

Sarevok's stats? I've been looking for ages on the net to find those.

Good/Neutral is better, when you're evil you can't do the quests where you can get extra reputation points (well you can do them but the evil NPC leave you after a while)

So, for the best butt kicking for goodness you definitely have to be GOOD :D

4. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I'd say that is true by and large, but Minsc is good. Anomen wasn't half bad either properly equipped.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Edwin gets so many spells, because he is a pure mage, has high intelligence and because of his amulet (The momento of Thay, and Thou shall not touch it!). It has nothing to do with him being evil!

I think Viconia is one of the weakest characters in the game. I currently have her in my party, but only because she's evil, and I'm playing evil.
    Keldorn is just as good as Korgan and Minsc is too. So I'd say, it's pretty even, only the mages on the evil side are better, but if that's your problem, just create a good mage, with high intelligence...

7. I think that evil aligned characters are better, although the good/neutral aligned has the coolest personalities, and therefore I more often choose them. Well, take Minsc or Jan for example :D

8. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is that really Sarevok in the ToB? or just a picture from BG1? because I thought he was going to be a wild mage in the new one...

btw--It also dispells my belief that Sarevok was going to 'come back'as a neutral character--now that he has apparently been stripped of his bhaal-spawn status (as witnessed in the end of BG1 when his statue is broken up..

my theory was that he was just pushed to evil by those dreams (that the PC has in BG1 and 2.. ) and was just 'forced' by insanity to do everything he could to realize his inheritance.. and the PC has overcome the dreams to follow a path of his/her own choosing......

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Text below picture of sarevok Sarevok möreine äänineen on pelottava liittolainen

Unfortunately my finnish isn't especially great. As in nonexisting. :p
    But I see ToB mentioned on the Page, So I think its how he looks in ToB.

He cant join in BG1 so why make a recordsheet for him in BG1?

10. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

re: recordsheet in BG1.. I thought all the npc's (even if they could not join) had a record sheet---perhaps as a test mode for developers.. don't npc's have one if you control-q in BG2? ( I don't have this answer because I never tried it)....

11. shadow_thief Guest

viconia's a drow:50 or 75% magice resistance...cant remember
    edwin: so much better than ANY mage of the game
    Korgan:wicked fighter!!!!
    sarevok: WICKED(can u romance him in throne of baal???)
    anyways...i no i dont play w/ NPCs but i judge from my bro's game...and he doesn't cheat!!!

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited May 29, 2001).]

12. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Basically there seems to be some interesting facts.

Evil NPC's tend to have high scores in their primary stat and are single class.

There are a lot more Good NPC's than Evil NPC's.

The most interesting point to me is that it is these three and what many consider the strongest Good NPC, Keldorn who I hear of getting into fights with those of very opposite alignments. They are therefore the most difficult to manage. An interesting balance with their power.

So if you go with an all-Evil party, you are taking fewer characters, and either taking fewer quests, or balancing them out with killing and stealing to bring your reputation down. Since you have fewer characters though, you get a greater share of the exp for each. So your NPC's will be individually stronger, but missing the collective strength of the Good party. A little more survival of the fittest.

I like role-playing my evil character. He is a sorcerer with high intelligence, but not a lot of charisma. He tries to go with whichever way the wind is blowing, but doesn't suffer fools gladly. (This has so far cost him the Nalia quest, the poisoning option for the Trademeet quest, and the option to go with Bodhi. But at least the Tirdir thing seems to have an evil option he will get into, and he can always do some home invasions if the reputation gets too high.(Keep the homicidal dwarf happy! ;-> ))

13. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Da punisher, what do you mean Viconia is weak. She has so high innate magic resistance and there are around 4 str boosting items you can buy if you think she's weak because of the low str. Besides that her innate bonus is better than most other NPC's. Edwin does not have a high no. of spells because of his intelligence. I had a sorcerer with 18 intelligence and he still had more spells even though the sorcerer was a higher level. Evil NPC's do not leave you when you do rep boosting quests unless it's over 18. And Orkrist Anomen can be replaced by a figter/cleric PC with higher stats. There are better shields than his unique sheild found in the game

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Just to the sarevok thing. In ToB you revive him by giving some of your divine power, so I would believe he is somewhat connected with the rest of the Bhaalspawn

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.