1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Ascetic Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by foot, Jul 17, 2009.

1. foot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm thinking of rolling a RP party that uses no items at all, other than normal staves. Scrolls must be scribed immediately or discarded.

My planned group:

Sorcerer PC - the backbone of the group
    Monk - non-reliance on gear, find traps (a thief wouldn't fit the party's theme)
    Shapeshifter - non-reliance on gear
    Totemic Druid - healer
    Skald - improved song and backup arcane spells

Only problem is that I can't figure out which class should be the main tank. Werewolves are powerful but their AC is really poor. I was thinking of adding a Blade and have him use long swords created with the Enchanted Weapon spell; defensive stance coupled with spells would make him a great meatshield but this is stretching the RP a little.

Any ideas?

2. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Party Naked

Reminds me of my recent idea for a "naked party" -- nobody wears armor:

PC - Elven Wizard Slayer (Longbows and Longswords)
    Dwarven Kensai (Axes and Hammers)
    Human Monk (Hands and Feet)
    Half-elf Shapeshifter (Paws and Teeth)
    Human Thief//Wild Mage (Katanas)
    Half-elf Sorceror (Spells)

Of course, the PC WS sort of goes against the grain of the rest of the party, but at least he won't be getting into too many arguments with others over who gets what magical equipment; besides, a group of nudists need at least one non-nudist who can be their "diplomat," lol. Well, if it bugs you that much, you could always just make it a five-man party.... :p

My other idea for a "leather bound" party doesn't have to make any such conceptual compromises:

PC - Human Beastmaster//Cleric
    Elven Archer
    Half-elf Stalker
    Half-orc Assassin (Hide in Shadows and Move Silently)
    Half-elf Bounty Hunter (Set Traps)
    Human Swashbuckler//Mage (Open Locks and Find/Remove Traps)

Alternatively, you could substitute a Human Archer//Cleric and/or a Human Bounty Hunter//Mage for the Elven Archer and/or Half-elf Bounty Hunter respectively for more spellpower.

And while I'm off on a tangeant, here's a dual-wielding party:

PC - Half-Elf Beastmaster
    Human Ranger//Cleric
    Elven Archer
    Half-elf Stalker
    Half-elf Blade
    Human Swashbuckler//Mage

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Or a five-woman party. :eek: :D

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why not add a Kensai? They can use a staff. He/she would be like a fighting/monk. Would probably kick butt with just a +3 staff. But with no Armour donning characters, a tank that can absorb lots damage is just not realistic. Possibly a Dualed Fighter/Mage or Fighter/Cleric might fit in as well....

5. foot Gems: 1/31

Kensai is out of the question because the only items this group can equip are normal staves. But after a little reading I realized that monks have pretty decent AC later in the game so I rolled the following:

male elven sorcerer PC
    female human monk
    male human shapeshifter
    female half-elven totemic druid
    female half-even skald

I must admit though, I've just come out of the starter dungeon and already I miss the npc banter.

That naked party (well, more of a squishy party really :p) sounds like it could also be fun and challenging while not being quite so radical.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why can't Kensai use staves?

7. foot Gems: 1/31

I didn't say they couldn't :). I just said that because this party will only ever equip normal staves, a kensai would be useless against monsters that can only be damaged by magical weapons. Hence why I picked the monk and the shapeshifter as my meleers (their fists/paws become +4 magical weapons in the endgame).

8. Blades of Vanatar

Oh, ok! No magic weapons, only non-magical staves. Got it.

But a dualed-Kensai/Cleric or Kensai/Mage will do wonders in this party, with summoning magic weapons. So could a dualed Swashbuckler/Mage....

9. Bluerose Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Try level1npc. Finding matches for the sorcerer, skald and totemic druid (and shapeshifter if you don't like Cernd) should be easy. I would make the monk my PC.

10. Fred the archer Gems: 1/31

Archer/cleric

How does a Archer/cleric work ? I tried to make Jahira into one with Level1NPCs. When I picked her up I discovered she couldn't use Bow. If you look at the requirments for bows and crossbow. It specifies they can't be used by Clerics, druids and Mages.

Have I missed something ?

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Buck was speaking hypothetically, without realizing that what he was suggesting doesn't actually work. Either that, or was thinking of using slings, but I seem to recall that there is a problem with archers using slings (I don't remember what that is, though).

Edit: I think the "problem" is that archers can only put 2 points in slings, so it's not actually impossible.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  12. Fred the archer Gems: 1/31

Well I gave now figured out the problem, Jahiera simply didn't meet the strength requirements for the bow (Composite long bow) I tried to use. Works like a charm now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.