1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk or Archer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sintek, May 21, 2001.

1. Sintek Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm playing through with a party created entirely by me, and since I'm still fairly early in the game, I need to make a decision. The monk is a great damage dealer, but is kind of imbalanced, and HPs really suck. The archer would be great for disrupting spellcasters, but I don't know how useful he/she would be later in the game.

My party is based on my old EQ party, which consists of

Paladin
    Cleric
    Mage
    Warrior (Beserker)
    Thief
    Monk (or archer, or whatever. Suggestions appreciated)

As you can see, I'm not using this config. for challenge. Should I go with the archer or another class? I'm mainly looking for a well-rounded, universal party.

Thanks.

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Monks are extremly powerfull.
    Perhaps too pwerfull.

I must admit, Monks rules the realms, even though I don't like them. :(
    I am from the old shcool way back in the Youth of D&D No monks back there :D

EDITED HERE:
    Then Your thief will also be the only one requiring arrows. This means that he can almost shoot with magic-arrows all the time :cool:

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 21, 2001).]

3. Avooch Dar Guest

Good for you i too believe that the stupid old monk is far too powerful for his own good and makes the game very unfair indeed.
    i am hopeing that in Throne of Bhaal the monk will be halted in his progress. 3% magic resistance per level!!!!!!!!!!!. its just idiotic.
    I thank you trusty Nobleman for raising this point!
    On the subject of the party then i would beyond doubt go for the archer simply because with his awesome five prof slots and ranger abilities he is brill against mages.
    Can you have a half orc archer? If you can then use one as he can then use the ripper bow thingy which i found to be the best longbow in the game.

4. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually, I played D&D for more years than I'll admit, but monks were around (and cheesy) in first edition.

As far as the choice goes, take the monk if you wnat no challenge at higher levels. But the archer is a lot more fun. I use them myself. A pain to keep them in the magic and special arrows sometimes though.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I would like to say a lot of fun things about
    Monks, Avooch Dar. But last time we had fun BTA came roaring up on us us. So I'll limit my message to this:

Go with Your hearth and choose an archer.
    Then Download kevin Costner as "robin Hood" on http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg/media/files/custom/

or more specific (perhaps broken link) http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=494&page=2

It should be portrait number 31

To Daunt:
    Monks!!! Are You referring to that white rulebook of D&D that was both Player Handbook DM-guide and MonstrousManual?
    I Must have amnesia. :o

6. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Nobleman, not sure about the D&D but in my PHB of AD&D (first edition) the monk is included.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.