1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't Install/Uninstall BG2!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wanted to start up a nice new clean BG2 run with new mods. I tried to uninstall BG2, but it wouldn't do it! Damn! It started the uninstall process but it ended quickly. I tried a few times, to no avail. So, i know i'm a knumbskull, but i manually deleted the SoA folder and the shortcut. ToB uninstalled fine, but SoA did not. I also got rid of Tutu, but i don't think that had any bearing on the issue at hand. I did notice that the original files from SoA are not in my Recycle bin. When i put Disk #1 back into my D: Drive, the install option is not there, nor does it automatically go to the install screen, instead it goes to the BG2 screen that gives you the options of either...

Play
    Configure
    Demos
    Readme
    Exit
    And something else, but i forget what..... i know it was something unimportant.

I have tried going into the disk and open up the Setup.exe, but that brings me to the same screen.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to get this reinstalled? Please?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You'll have to go through the registry and remove the BG2 references. When the startup loads it checks the registry to see if it's installed or not and that's why it comes up.

Alternitavely try running setup.exe from the CD or reinstalling through add/remove programs. That's the safer option anyway ;)

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have used the registry and removed all the black isle/tutu/bioware folders. I am unable to remove the SoA folder with Add/Remove programs. I get the same thing as i get when trying to run set-up.exe file from the disk. It goes to the uninstall mode, which last about 1 second then ends. It's so fast, i can't read the options. I have an older pc with only 256 MB Ram, 2.4 GHz processer, Pentium 4. The Soa file that is left is only 1.24mb in the Add/Remove programs list, so it's not the whole install still there, just some files that are causing me to not be able to reinstall... very frustrating...:mad:
    Any other ideas?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can manually delete the folders... just be sure to follow 8's advice and remove the registery info as well. In XP you can easily remove it from the add/remove programs list by simply deleting the file in question, click on the add/remove programs, when windows finds the program is not there it will ask if you want it removed from the list. Hopefully the problem is solved. It really sucks to have to reinstall windows for SoA (been there, done that with 98).

If not (and your XP), look in the registry for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

There should be a key entry for SoA -- delete it.

Look here for Windows 98. Which is basically the same as what I said (it should work for Me and 95 as well).

5. Blades of Vanatar

T2 - There is no option of deleting in Add/Remove programs. I have XP. You can click on the selected item adn then click change/remove only. That is what i have been trying and it automatically goes into the installshield setup, to no avail. I have removed the BG2 SoA folder in the registry, but i do not see a key entry in the Current Version/Unistall folder for Soa. Should it be listed as "BGII - SoA or some kind of coding name. I have looked thru all of the files starting with K, but nothing is showing any relation to BGS SoA.

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

you can use ccleaner to remove the entry in add/remove as well as delete any stubborn registry entries you may of missed. its also a good way to clean out your pc of all unnecessary files and folders

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, I mean manually delete the file using Windows Explorer. Then go into the control panel and use the add/remove function. There should be a window that pops up telling you it cannot find the file and ask if you want to remove the entry from the add/remove list.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From Bioware's BGII support page, this ought to do the trick.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Thanks Olimikrig, i will try this next. Power went out in my neighborhood yesterday, it's still down, so i am on the laptop today. Hopefully i will have max warp speed back today and this will work tonight. I really would like to try some of these mods...

10. Blades of Vanatar

Ok, finally trying to reinstall this now. But i keep getting this error when i try to install ToB.

I have sucessfully installed SoA, a full install. I put the ToB disc in, try to install, at about 8% in, i get the following error...

Component: Required_Data
    File Group: hd0
    File: C\Programs File\Black Isle\BGII-SoA\Update.url
    Error: Access denied

Can anyone please help?:o

---------- Added 20 hours, 24 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

Anyone? :confused:

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you try to look at the file?
    I don't know if those are typos above, but there should be a colon after the C and I'm sure it should be "Program Files" in C\Programs File\Black Isle\BGII-SoA\Update.url

It seems to be saying it can't find that file or there is some permission problem with the file.

12. Blades of Vanatar

BTA - They are typos, you are correct. Are you referring to looking for them in the Registry?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, I mean looking at the file Update.url and determining what might be the problem with it.

14. Blades of Vanatar

No, but i wouldn't know what i was looking at, i'm not that tech saavy. The update.url would of came from my install of SoA, correct? That went smoothly, at least as far as i know, i did not recieve any error messages during installation of SoA. Please feel free to explain it to me like i'm a three year old.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I honestly don't know what this file is, but the error message said access to the file was denied. Is the file there? Can you open it?

16. Blades of Vanatar

I'm not home to check it, i'm still at work. I will be home in less than 2 hours though. I will post my findings then. Thanks for trying though, I do appreciate it.

---------- Added 6 hours, 4 minutes and 41 seconds later... ----------

OK, it finally loaded. I have no clue what i did other than uninstall SoA and reload 4 times. But it's working!:banana::banana:

17. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

18. Blades of Vanatar

How do you get rid of the Update.url in the SoA folder?

Ok, back to square one. I thought this was fixed, but apparently not. I reloaded SoA and ToB. They added BGT recently with lots of mods. It was too much I guess and I was getting alot of errors, probably because of too many mods, wrong install order or whatever. So I uninstalled all the mods, uninstalled ToB and tried to Uninstall SoA, for a clean install to follow. I was unable to uninstall SoA. It originally looked like it unistalled, but it did not get rid of the "Update" link. It's a HTML file. It could be the "Update.url" referenced in the error message? I believe it's a link to a website. But it will not allow me to remove it from the SoA folder. Nor will it allow me to move/delete/rename the file or the SoAfolder. Bioware's site doesn't have anything on this one.

So my question is, does anyone know how to get rid of the Update.url file?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.