1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you think this is cheap.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Crawl, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Don't ask me how, because I don't know. But I managed to loose both the silver sword blade and the gessen bow string in the Underdark. And soemhow I completely missed the Wave blade. I don't think I dropped them. I believe some nasty Bioware bug ate them for lunch. Possibly disapeared from the bag of holding. I have the other parts(except the silver sword hilt, and I doubt I'll get it now). What's your opinion of using shadow keeper to import the item and just giving it's forging price to a temple or something?

2. Beorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

why not just import the seperate pieces themselves?

Do what you want, it's your game.

3. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Taking what you had before the bug struck can't be cheating.Cheating is summoning an invincible char that wipes your party out when you attack Linvail(I can't kill the SOB hehe).cheating is something more like cloudkill bug but beorn is right this is your game so it musn't really matter what we say about it.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *** Possible Spoiler ***
    BTW the Wave blade is with the sharky peoples... The Prince to be specific...

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I consider the following cheap:

Casting Cloudkill into the fog of war without any creatures spotting you and standing around until they all die.

Setting traps around Dragons while they sit around and watch you do this for two days, then move to attack it and it dies when all the traps go off.

Going into a huge battle and leading people down stairs or out doors to deal with them one on one purposly.

Attacking any powerful creature when they're still blue and have dialog on the way before they turn red to attack you.

Can anyone else come up with some others?

Syl...

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Who cares? It's your game and you can play it anyway you want

7. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Syl,

you can add :
    - Exchanging items between characters during a hard fight.
    - Reloading 50 times to kill the demi-lich (hmmm... ok, I did that to find the good solution ;).
    - Multiplying exceptional items (Ring of Gaxx, Crom Faeyr...) by importing/exporting characters. Btw, I got a bug when I dropped one of my PC to get Valygar to enter the Planar Sphere : when I imported him again I notced that his weapon (flail of ages) have been duplicated, and I did nothing particular to do that...

Rasalgethi, servant of Light.

8. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] To Crawl: I don't think anyone would call it cheating to replace something a bug took. Places you can lose items are: Nisharu's, swapping items between NPCs and getting inventory overflow. It's especially tricky in the Underdark cos it's so Dark!
    The wave halbard is with the Prince, you can still get it even if you side with him, Imoen can pickpocket him for it (gloves)
    To Syl: Other cheats: getting multiple items/xps from characters by hitting talk again while they're still blue (eg paladins in Planar sphere, talking head in Asylum maze)

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I suppose you're right Shura, you can play it anyway you want to.

My comment wasn't towards you or the general readers on the board, but my thoughts one what I feel is cheap and what I won't do during the game. I'm simply curious as to what others find cheap in their own gaming experiences.

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited December 18, 2000).]

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Reloading until you get the desired result from random possibilities. For example, hit point rolls, spell memorization rolls, spell effects (like Finger of Death ;) ).

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I seem to be the king of cheap!

I've found some battles - (Kangaxx, Dragons) extremely difficult to win without reloading to try new tactics. I guess this is kind of cheap. I often can't resurrect all of my slain party members so have to reload.

I often curse my own clumsiness when I intend to disarm a trap, but then mistakenly open the chest instead - reload again!

I have never used shadow keeper before, but it sounds like it may cheapen the gaming experience; at least for me. I've been lucky to not experience any bugs yet.

Although there was that time, way back....

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I personally don't think reloading to try different tactics is cheap; I think that brings more enjoyment to the game...

13. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

I agree about reloading... it's nice to test tactics, but reloading to get only one effect, i.e. Finger of Death, is a little bit cheating, isn't it ??

Hmmm... I must confess that I used SK once, in the beginning of this current game... Well, ok ok I confess, I created a dwarven berseker with a constitution of 21 (+6 HP bonus)... and he got only... 65 HP, (level 7, average dice value = 4, in the standard ADD P&P rule, 1 and 2 rolls are considered as 3 with 21 in const), I used SK to modify his HP because I was lazy to roll and roll again... another confession from someone else ??

14. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Alright, Alright
    There was that time when I had these skimpy panties....

Whoa- which forum is this :o

Excuse me

15. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Don't understand your answer...

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Now THAT'S the kind of confession that can get you into trouble with your wife Lord Moeken! :)

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

18. derah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Must be nice to get through a battle on the first try. ;)

My strategy in AD&D is still weak but improving. If I didn't reload to try different strategies I would have given up a lonnnng time ago.
    I look at it as learning experience and not a "cheat". I resort ot this less and less.

Using CLAUconsole or SK to reaquire a bug lost item is totally legit.
    Glomming on to XP, spells etc, however , is definitely a no.. no.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Not to be pedantic, but I've seen this a few times, so I thought I'd comment...

It's more proper to say "tactics" when referring to combat activities in BG2. "Strategy" is generally reserved for large scale planning/placements of forces prior to any engagements with the enemy.

No big deal since everyone understands whether you use "tactics" or "strategy", but I thought I'd mention it for those that don't realize there's a difference...

20. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31

I don't consider reloading to try different tatics cheap. It is part of the gaming experience. Neither is changing Items in a hard fight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.