1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most upsetting character death? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by joacqin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Raise Thread Level 5!!

Just finished re-reading the Sandman series. Morpheus, King of Dreams. That bit with Matthew the raven at the end almost had me in tears :cry:

I'm not YOUR raven. I was HIS raven.

2. Gemmellisgreat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't think Jianna died. There was that specific reinforcement of the detail that Askari/Jianna once again left her crossbow behind and Alahir had to remind her to take it. Also she didn't seem that sadenned by Stavi's death. I'm thinking that Askari unfortunately was gone and Jianna pretended. Now she's going to be able to live and love Skilgannon. Just my humble opinion.

Now on to the actual topic...I would say there are too many deaths in Gemmell's novels of characters that brought tears to my eyes. Hard to choose.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Rudy from The Book Thief. Knew it was going to happen - they'd told you right from the very first page, but it still has to take the carrot.

4. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Trull Sengar in 'Reaper's Gale'.

Fortunately death is relative in Erikson's books so that there is still hope ...

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anomander Rake in Toll the Hounds

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hood in Toll the hounds.

7. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The giant from Jack and the Beanstalk because he fell down right smack in the middle of the village destroying homes and properties not to mention all the lives that were taken... and that's excluding the damages caused by giant beanstalk. Heck, Jack should have rot in jail for that. Oh, come on, can't I poke a little fun here?

Seriously, perhaps Sturm Brighblade for the Dragon Lance trilogy and Boromir from LOTR trilogy... both died too soon.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Definitely Garet Jax in the Shanara Series. He was purely awesome. At least it was the Jachyra that killed him, the same beast that took down Allanon.

Also, many of the Taken in Glen Cook's the Black Company series. You didn't get to know all of them, just how they bit it at the Battle at Charm. They were some of the coolest villians with great names. "Bonegnasher, Moonbiter, the Limper".

9. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Probably Cattie Brie in the Drizzt series, not for her death, but for it's impact on Drizzt, especially as I feel this was done not for literary reasons, but to accommodate the 100 year jump in the timeline mandated by Wizards for all FR books.

There has been a long line of established and deep characters killed off in many series in the last couple of years in order to force (I use the word deliberately) the changes required by Wizards.

Qilue Vellathorn
    Cattie Brie
    Cadderly
    Khelban Blackstaff

10. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Despite thoroughly enjoying the Song Of Ice and Fire series, it just one kick in the guts after another as far as character deaths go. Brienne's end (well, her whole life too) was pretty sad, though I'm not entirely sure she's dead from memory...

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm with the people who mentioned Boromir (T2Bruno and Nior). I was young when I first read it and I really liked Boromir so it was really sad that he should die. Still, he definitely got a hero's death.

Gandalf was a close second but the first and most moving death was Boromir's.

12. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Werther... NOT! ;)

My nine year old self would have surely said Gandalf's. But, since my ID card claims I am an adult now, I will name two more deaths: vicomte de Valmont's and Nana's. The latter was no surprise (I mean, it had been foreshadowed quite a few times), but the description of the protagonist laying on her deathbed was most vivid - and, thusly, poignant.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.