1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game that I missed should I try to play next after Neverwinter Nights 1?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Jun 25, 2009.

?

Which game should I get next after playing Neverwinter Nights Platinum?

1. Neverwinter Nights 2

19.4%
  2. Temple of Elemental Evil

16.1%
  3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1

61.3%
  4. buy the NWN premium modules.

3.2%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    After a period of repeated unemployment, I've finally bought a new computer. The first game I bought was Neverwinter Nights Platinum. At the current rate of progress due to limited playing time it will probably keep me busy through at least the end of the summer.

Once that's through, what should I try to order next cheap off eBay?
    I'm thinking about Knights of the Old Republic, as I keep hearing about how cool HK-47 is and want to experience it myself. The other choices are Temple of Elemental Evil, and Neverwinter Nights II.
    Then there are the premium modules for NWN 1 that apparently weren't included because I made the mistake and got Platinum instead of Diamond by bidding on the wrong one.

So, which should I get next? I've got limited funds left so I'm going to try for cheap stuff on eBay that I've wanted to play for a while while unemployed or working temp jobs, and while I'm hoping to buy them all eventually, I can't afford to right now.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I haven't played NWN2 so I cannot really give my opinion on that so well.

KotOR is an excellent game to play, though it has an almost BG2ish or PS:Tish feel when you complete it in the hollow feeling of "I've finished it now... but now I know what happens I can't play it again!" (though inevitably you do) It has a lot of party interaction despite having only two peopel on hand at once and is overall jolly good fun. KotOR2 while also fun to play will leave you with a mildly despondant recollection of the whole affair. Though if you can find both cheaply they are nice to have a play of.

G:tToEE is the only game I can think of that I would reccoment modding from the moment of installation. Install, patch, mod it. I played through the majority of it without the Co8 mod pack and it felt... unfinished, I tried to do as much as I could but it actually felt cut down to me during play. the Co8 mod pack ceduces this greatly. Maybe it's just a personal feeling that you can't help but feel there is supposed to be more. Still fun and it's quite different depending on your party though, so I think more effort was put into diversity than 'fullness' which I can also appreciate and reccomend a few plays of.

Voted for KotOR though.
    Because it's damn shiny :)
    And I like shiny :)

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

NWN2 is ****. It's just not a good game - clunky engine, dull and pointless feeling story, challengeless, flat and unlikeable characters, linear. Bleh.
    (Mind you, MotB is meant to be good in a Ps:Tish way - haven't played it yet though)

KotOR is fun in a pretty standard modern-Biowareish manner. It's not great - in fact, it's pretty deeply flawed, but it's worth playing.

Haven't played ToEE.

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

nwn2 its superior to nwn1 in every aspect and its expansions only makes it better. the story of the OC is linear, but compared to the horror nwn1 OC was, it is nothing. The engine is better and the graphic are much better (provided your computer can run it).
    MoTB is great, it has a very good feeling to it and is indeed PS:T'ish. SoZ you either love or hate, it is very sandboxish, but for some it ain't their cup of tea, personally I like it a lot.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I would definitely get NWN2. It is 10x times better graphically and story line wise over NWN1.

I also recommend picking up the BG series, even with a new PC.

As for Kotor that is one game I have yet to play but is on my list of purchases if I can find it locally NEW or USED.

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    KotOR gets my vote. A gem on an RPG that still holds its own even years later.

Plus, you know, you can use lightsabers and force lightning :D

7. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ditto on KOTOR. The first one is pretty good, even though you have to wait a while to get a lightsaber. KOTORII is...OK. It had some good moments, but a lot of the plot got chopped up toward the end.

NWN2 is pretty good, but still has some technical issues here and there. (It seems a bit more stable recently.)

I haven't played most of the NWN1 premium modules, but I did try Kingmaker (which comes with the Diamond version) and you aren't missing anything if you skip it. So far, it's the worst mod I've played for NWN, quite possibly the worst RPG I've played. The others, I've heard, are much better.

Cheers!

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're still on NWN1, definitely get the premium modules, at least the last three (WCoC, ID, PotSC).

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Voted Kotor. Really liked that game. But it's a tough call between Kotor and Nwn 2. The nwn 2 OC is not spectacular, but it's a lot better than the Nwn 1 OC. The expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is, however, very good, albeit a little short (but hey, it's an expansion after all). In the end my vote went to Kotor mainly because it is, in my opinion, one of those classics that you, as a CRPG player, have to have played :).

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I'd say KotOR or NWN2. I really enjoyed them both. I'm now playing the SoZ expansion for NWN2 and it's a blast (finally they've added enchanting for bows/crossbows), so I voted for NWN2 just because if you like it you've got two expansions to continue your enjoyment :) And to not follow the current trend of votes ;)

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    With NWN you don't have to buy anything else. There are a lot of good mods on NW Vault that are extremely enjoyable.

Which mods will depend on the type of character you like to play. But a couple of good mods to start with are Darkness Over Daggerford and Tortured Hearts 1 (and 2 if you download the CEP). The Top Rated list is always a good place to start.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

In NWN2 MotB I had Gann walking around with a crafted +8 Shortbow that did fire, acid, and electrical damage ontop of the damage from the arrow. He was a great support character for my team throughout MotB.

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

KoTOR is definately the best of the ones I've played on the list. It's by far one of the best games I've ever played.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for TOEE. The CO8 mod make the game work and it is quite fun.

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I already own the BG series and the IWD series. They work perfectly on my old computer that the new one replaced. Although I can't fix the attack sound bug introduced with Trials of the Luremaster, IWD works fine with only HoW. Is there any reason to try to install them on the new computer when they work perfectly on the old one? Licensing restrictions are a point against for legal reasons.

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    People always say that. I don't get it really. I mean, Aribeth was a much better character then, say, Black Garius was.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Black Garius wasn't really the main evil, and comparing two characters as opposed to the entire story serves little purpose.*

Aribeth was one shining light in the horrible nwn1 OC. NWN2 has a lot more and the OC isn't as horrible in itself.

*and Ammon Jerro was a much better character than both Aribeth and black garius :p

18. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seconded. I also really enjoyed the Tales of Arterra: The Lost and The Awakening. Especially the latter (second part) had a very good story development, in my opinion.

If I may suggest another RPG that you might want to try now that your computer can handle it, I'd suggest Morrowind. It offers complete freedom to run around and mess around as you please, but not everyone likes this kind of sandbox feel. Get the GotY edition if you do, though. It's cheap and includes both expansions, of which especially Bloodmoon offers a lot. Oblivion (the next installment in the series) has more fancy graphics, if you want to make the most of your new computational power, but, in my opinion, needs mods to make it enjoyable.

Nor was Aribeth, but you are correct that a single well-characterised NPC does not a good story make.

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    KOTOR is right up on the list of the best RPG's ever made. I'd play that but do not -- I repeat DO NOT use a walkthrough. I did, and it was a terrible mistake. If you need build help or assistance getting past certain obstacles, ask someone at SP -- preferably in a PM. The last thing you want with KOTOR is spoilers. (Yes, I used a walkthrough and got spoiled....in the intro of the walkthrough!)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    KOTOR 2 > KOTOR. Kreia > *

Of course, you should still play the first game, well, first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.