1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age System Requirements

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Merlanni, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm reposting them here since BioWare's age gate is broken on their forums:

* * *​

Many of our fans have been asking if we can provide system specifications for the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins. The Dev team has now been able to lock down both the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Here are the minimum requirements for XP and Vista and the recommended system requirements.

Windows XP Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater
    AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
    RAM: 1GB or more
    Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater
    AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater
    RAM: 1.5 GB or more
    Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
    AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater
    RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
    Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
    NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
    DVD ROM (Physical copy)
    20 GB HD space

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    XP SP3, hmm, that's going to annoy a lot of people. I'm still on SP2 myself... 20GB space is rather ridiculous as well, and I expect you'll need another 10GB just for save games. All in all, it seems that latest versions of the OS's will be the most troublesome requirement.

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That's some hefty requirements. I'm assuming the recommended requirements mean you can run the game with most details set to medium and all the advanced features turned off. For such a configuration a Radeon 3850 or a Geforce 8800 seem like a lot. From the trailers and other screenshots the game looks good but not that good. I wonder if there are some graphical features that they've kept off in their demos, to keep the frame rate high perhaps.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    20GB? How many DVDs are they going to ship? That's crazy.

6. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Wow, they recommend a quad core!? I can meet all the rest of the recommended requirements, but damn.. did they really thread the game to take advantage of quad core? I have a Core 2 Duo running at 3.5 GHz, if that is not good enough... I don't even know what to say. lol. I have a feeling a lot of people might be needing to upgrade if not picking this up for the respective consoles already. Tal, you should do a poll to see if people are going to be able to run the game.

7. Ziad

Media:
    Two dual-layer DVDs will be more than enough, with a bit of compression. There are already a few games that ship as multiple DVDs. I think Sacred 2 was notorious for shipping with three if you include the "very high resolution" graphical package that came with the limited edition. Even Wing Commander 4 way, way back came as two dual-layer DVDs!

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I hope most of that 20GB has less to do with fancy graphics and more to do with an epic story and gameplay.

Meeting most of those required specs except for CPU. Oh well, probably time to upgrade soon anyway.

9. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Mass Effect is a 13 GB installation and comes with 2 Discs (EU version).
    I expect a 3 DVD release.

Btw, I doubt, that the game won't be playable on a SP2 WinXp.
    They just give SP3 as requirement because they expect an up to date upgradet machine, to be on the safe side concerning driver support and so on.

I hope that I can play the game on GamesCom in August.
    I'm too hyped already for my liking.

10. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I think that those are quite moderate requirements. We are in the year 2009 after all.

11. Ziad

Media:
    SP3 is basically SP2 with all the fixes that were released in the interim so you're right, there's no reason for it not to run on SP2. I'm not sure if SP3 extends the driver support, if it does that'll explain why they recommend SP3.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I would not even take that whole "quad core" requirement seriously. Here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_2_duo_e8600_review/page7.asp

You notice that all things being equal a 2 core CPU running at a higher clock speed will often out perform a quad core running at a slower clock speed. It depends on the generation and architecture of the CPU. I would not worry about upgrading to a "quad" if you already have a fairly new 2 core CPU, especially just to play Dragon Age. It would also seem that the game would bump up against the limits of the nVidia 8800 GTS (a 2.5 year old graphics card) before it would reach the limits of a newer Core 2 running at more than 3.0 Ghz. I would wait until the benchmarks begin appearing.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The quad core bit is most likely for the really really high end. Modern core 2 duo's will be fine.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm. Looks like I should be fine for the most part. My GPU is the max recommended, but my processor and RAM are just average. I'm likely going to do a RAM upgrade soon (finally - I've been meaning to for over a year) but aside from that I should be good.

I'm trying to avoid doing another PC upgrade for at least another two years.

15. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Most of the system requirements for this game aren't bad, but the quad-core bit and twenty GB thing are a bit vexing; especially the latter. I have to ask, why is so much space needed? I've got the hard disk space, but I'd like to know why Dragon Age needs that much room to begin with?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Graphics mostly... high-res textures and maps take up huge amounts of space.

17. Atreides Gems: 7/31

Probably sound as well, given that you can only compress audio files so much.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, sound and movies add some more, but not that much overall... I doubt there'll be more audio assets than BG2 or NWN had and they only shipped on a few CDs.

19. Atreides Gems: 7/31

In any case, we'll have the answer in, when does the game come out? October? But I'm really hoping that the hard disk space requirements are so high because the game has a lot of content.

20. Merlanni

Media:
    The console version is said to be smaller. Perhaps a lot of cutscene's. Situation a with henchman 1, situation a with henchman2, situation a with henchman 3 , 1+2, 1+3, 2+3.... Then there are the languages.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.