1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Is Trials of the Luremaster worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Barney Battletoes, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Barney Battletoes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Before going to the trouble of downloading it, I'm curious as to whether or not anybody thought trials of the luremaster worth it.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 16 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Is Trials of the luremaster worth the trouble? (16 votes.)

Is Trials of the luremaster worth the trouble? (Choose 1)
    * Yes, download it as soon as you can! - 100% (16)
    * Nah, it sucked - 0% (0)

2. DaveO Gems: 1/31

I don't see what you have to lose besides time. The download is free, and it can't hurt to give it a try. I think the standard game is a bit short for an RPG, but Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster add more to the game.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I remember having some minor trouble with downloading it. I believe I ended up using an ftp client. So it wasn't all *that* much trouble, but the http download died on me a couple times.

Heart of Winter wasn't as good as the original module, but it grew on me a bit. Luremaster is the same way; it grows on you a bit. It's a game-patch, as well as an add-on. There's not much reason for you to not install it, as it's completely optional in every way. The dungeon puzzle with the four knights is kind of interesting, as there's those nasty undead guys that teleport you around; possibly into a seriously hazardous situation.

It's not a bad add-on, at all.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Could someone tell me what the Trials is about? I have been meaning to look into it, but I am too lazy and I would rather get the opinion from someone who has played it. Besides, I have loaned my IwD and HoW to a friend

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I haven't yet finnished it but so far it has been mostly hack n' slash, just like the rest of the game.

*minor spoilers*

What really buggs me about Totlm are those nasty beholders that cast Flesh to stone on my tanks.

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

It has beholders? Cool, I love them (well, those that you talk to, like the one in BG:SoA and ToB)

7. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Umm, where is the ftp server? Because I sure as hell won't go through File Planet ever again :(

Thank in advance.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Basically, It's a decent dungeon crawl through a castle. It can be a bit frustrating in terms of difficulty, but it's definitely worth a download.

10. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

It's worth playing and is a good addition to the Heart of Winter Expansion (you start it from within HoW).

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's pretty fun. While it's as hack n slash as the rest (I remember the tombs were a nightmare), it has a few interesting encounters. I actually like both HoW and Trials more than the original campaign. I also think it acts as a patch and fixes a few bugs that were left in 1.41

12. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Heck Yeah! Download that sucker right away. It's a great dungeon crawl with a very cool story. In a way, the story reminds me of Durlag's Tower, with the vein of tragedy and sorrow running through it. Appropriate, since they're my two favorite dungeons in ANY rpg.

I have favorite dungeons. Yes, I'm a dork.

13. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You bet, may not be as big as a brand new Idewind Dale 3, but it's a most recommended dungeon. Puzzles are nice and the castle is pretty scenic.

EDIT:

SPOILER WARNING!

Oh! And if you need a bag of holding right away, it's the place to go.

14. Blakstarr Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Can anyone tell me what the ftp download site for ToTL is? I would love to download it and try the expansion, but I really don't care for FilePlanet too much, because, imho, I think their download system is too confusing, and unreliable.

Thank you for the help

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know of any. But as I explained above, with an SPS account, you can download it from here directly.

16. Blakstarr Gems: 1/31

ok, thanks. But, do you go to a different download address than the one you gave above if you have an SPS account? I hope so, because I went to the address you gave above, and it just sent me to FilePlanet.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes; FilePlanet is just where the info page links to. SPSA holders gain access to a private forum here with direct download links for that and a lot of other stuff.

18. Blakstarr Gems: 1/31

ok, thanks Taluntain

19. swak62 Gems: 1/31

My Review of ToLM

I agree with the above, but I think your being 'nice' in describing the terms of 'difficulty'. I'm not up too much about the new 3.5 edition rules of AD&D, but I was very much involved when the game was advancing from it's 2nd to 3rd editions. My biggest complaint about ToLM is that it appears that the 'monsters' are all AC -25, have a THACO of -12, and can only be hit by +8 weapons. Not to mention that they are immune to most spells and have a saving throw of -6, do 10d20 points of damage at the attack rate of 7/round, as well as having the ability of casting 9 spells per round.
    Now perhaps this is all exaggeration, but I'm in the last battle of the game, and perhaps entered it too soon in relation of playing through the HoW. I've tried to do research about the monsters of the game, going through AD&D 3.5 monster manuals, and none of them can be found, so you can't make a determination of the best tactics in fighting them except through trial and error. It's like the programmer has 'tweaked' the monsters up so they are virtually unbeatable. Don't get me wrong, they are beatable, after they've beaten you to an inch of your characters' lives and they've downed 100 extra healing potions each, you will eventually get them down.
    Years ago, when I was playing AD&D on tabletop, a DM did just this. Tweaked his monsters where they were unbeatable in this fashion. They're spellcasting could not be disrupted, while the player character's were always getting disrupted. Damage was always minimal against the creatures, while they were dealing out massive damage in every round. This made the game unenjoyable and all the players walked out. Needless to say, the guy could never get a group together again to play as DM.....This is the feeling I'm currently getting with ToLM right now, and is losing the appeal for me to complete HoW. :o

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

TotL difficulty is just what the public demanded. HoW didn't get the credits it deserved because it had roleplaying difficulty and didn't stretch the game playing time with unfair battles like TotSC. So the developers made a more difficult free addition.

But most battles are still doable on the first attempt if you take your time casting buff and protection spells, for the others you shouldn't need potions or many attempts either at normal difficulty.

For players who want an easier game there's a difficulty slider.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.