1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiclass exp cap

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by rafael1234, Sep 27, 2001.

1. rafael1234 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

is the multiclass exp cap smaller? i mean my char is a cleric l.14;mage l.13 and my exp dont raise,what is this.by the way,do dead character gain experience?killing your party you let you stay with all the exp?

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Experience cap is the same for all classes. However, for a multi-class you cannot reach as high levels as a character with only one class because it adds the experience of both classes together.

No idea on the dead party member question tho...

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dead party members don't get XP.

4. rafael1234 Gems: 1/31

wow,you guys are fast.so i guess i will have to disble this exp cap

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] No-no-no! Why would you remove the xp cap? :sosad:

Ok, if you have played the game several times and desperately wants to cast 9th level spells.
    Do you think the game is too difficult for you? Then either rethink your playing style or lower the difficulty settings.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

or buy ToB, that'll raise the cap too. Though I agree with Earl Grey to complete the game first with the cap, it isn't put there for nothing you know

7. rafael1234 Gems: 1/31

oh come on.i am going out in the underdark with level 14 and 13,that is too low,i probaly wont have xp enough to make to level 18 anyway.oh by the way now i am 14/14

8. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

There ARE instances when you can get experience for killing NPC which can join you. I once posted a finding that if you are mean to Anomen when you first meet him in the whorehouse, he will leave the scene and return to his father's house in the government district. If you then go into his father's house, Anomen will turn hostile and attack you. You will then receive experience points if you defeat him.
    I am wondering about other instances when joinable NPC's turn hostile, but haven't remembered the specifics.

9. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I'm not sure about the dead party members not getting experience. I've wondered the same thing in the past and I have seen a greyed-out dead NPC of mine (on two occasions now) gain the level up symbol while dead, while other party members finished the battle and brought expereince to the party that way. Unless this is some *bug* I have seen it happen.

10. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you've hit (or are close to) the XP cap, then by definition you are high enough level to do the Underdark. What matters is whether you want to make it easier than it was intended to be.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well.....what about removing the exp cap if you are playing solo?.....I don't know how it's done, other than installing TOB over SOA...which I've done.

12. Maldir Gems: 11/31

I'll reserve judgement on that one until I've been to the Underdark, solo, with the XP cap ;)
    Though I'm sure others have done it already.

13. rafael1234 Gems: 1/31

i dont want to be stuck to level 6 spells

14. Maldir Gems: 11/31

...except I've just got ToB, so now don't have the XP cap any more.
    Does anyone know if you can reinstate the XP cap (perverse question, I know)?

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Just don't press Level up when you reach the cap :)

It might just be fixed by deleting the program you used in the overwrite folder. Or add/remove program in the controlpanel.

16. Errtu001 Gems: 1/31

Could anyone tell me how to remove the XP cap? I'm now starting SOA for the 3rd time and got pissed off the 2nd time when 4 of my NPC's capped @ the start of CH 6......grrrr!!!!

17. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The other suggestion would be to install ToB which significantly raises the exp cap.

19. Grimwald Gems: 1/31

BG2 Tweak pack from G3 also allows you to alter the cap by raising, lowering or removing it. That makes it ideal for those who want to fiddle with it in order to discover which is best for them. It does all sorts of other things as well. :D

20. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What about resetting the XP cap so that you can get to level 40 reguardless of being single, double, or triple classed? I looked at the 2da file "XPCAP.2DA" a while ago and it has different entries for the different class combos. I'm trying it now, but took the easy way out. I changed all the dual classed entires to 9999999 and the triple class entries to 18000000 (adding a 1 in front of the number). I've got a game going in SoA right now and they are nowhere near the former SoA XP cap, let alone exceeding the ToB one.

If it works, I'll report back and actually look up the XP tables to figure out what value to set the cap at. I'll set it just under gaining the 41st level in a triple classed character to maximized the other two classes.

Should I offer the 2DA file to SP if it works? The installation instructions would go along the lines of "Drop this in your override folder. Requires Throne of Bhaal. Shouldn't be compadible with any other XP cap remover. "

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.