1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights MMO a Possibility

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Azereki, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Azereki Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG]According to Variety's Cut Scene Blog, a Neverwinter Nights MMO appears to be a possibility. It is reported that the MMO is being worked on by Cryptic Studios, which was acquired by Atari just last year. If the rumor turns out to be true, it appears that the game is set to be released in 2011.

"Details about the project are unavailable, naturally, as it is an unannounced title. But this reportedly was the primary reason Atari was interested in acquiring Cryptic late last year. (The developer is currently working on “Champions Online” and “Star Trek Online”.)

Based on the third edition Dungeon and Dragons rules, “NWN” is a well-loved franchise. The first installment of the role-playing game was developed by fan-favorite Bioware in 2002. A sequel, developed by Obsidian Entertainment, came out in 2006 to slightly less favorable, but still solid, reviews.
    "

Obviously there are quite a few persistent worlds in Neverwinter Nights 1&2 already that are essentially doing the same thing. How would you feel about a full-fledged Neverwinter Nights MMO being released? I've been saying for ages that a complete Forgotten Realms MMO would be amazing if it was done well, perhaps this is the next best thing?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

As far as I'm concerned, it's not good news at all for anyone in the NWN community. Atari's going to start viewing the NWN Persistent World community as competition, and that's not going to end well. If this is their big bid to try and stay solvent, where will they stop?

3. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ditto that assessment.

Plus, you can bet this means no NWN3. Instead, like KOTOR, it's going to be just an MMO.

Or, if NWN3 does come out, it will either be a stand alone game with no editor or online support, or will be single player only, with only SP user created mods.

While that wouldn't bother me, since I mainly play SP, I think it's a waste to drop the PW side of the game.

Rather than an MMO, I'd prefer they just make another NWN.

4. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I hope this never gets to see the light of day. NWN is the last of the DnD RPGs to my knowledge; and I'd really be sad to see it go this way.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

NWN MMO

This is just another way for a company to use a well known brand/name of a game to earn extra money. If Atari was smart they would develop NWN3 and their own persistent world. If the user is willing to pay a monthly fee (1/3 of what current MMO charge if not even less) the user get bonus levels, feats, classes when playing the MMO. Given that D&D now uses 4E anything now produce for D&D will follow 4E rules.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, if they make it, I can say that I'm one Neverwinter Nights fan who won't be buying this.

What Einstein at Atari thought NWN needed to be a MMORPG? /shrug

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Probably the one who noticed the bank balance was so far in the red ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.