1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The completely unofficial "The Order Of the Stick"-thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Lunne89, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Vaarsuvius's gender is undetermined and has been deliberately kept vague since quite early on. Some people refer to him as a he, others as a she, but whenever V talks about him/her self he/she always uses neutral words ("my mate" when talking about his/her marriage). It's a running joke at this point.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Let's see -- Meteor Swarm inflicts 6d6 points of damage per sphere, at 4 spheres that's 24d6 points worth of damage. At an average of 3.5 per roll, that's 84 points of damage from the metero swarm, assuming that each sphere hit and O-Chuul therefore didn't get to make a saving throw for half damage for any of the spheres. Then the maximized lightning bolt, the maximum is 10d6, so there's another 60 points of damage for a grand total of 144 points of damage -- assuming he didn't make a save against the lightning bolt.

O-Chuul is pretty tough, so we'll give him a Constitution score of around 19, which is a +4 bonus. That means that every hit dice beyond first he averages 9.5 hit points. Assuming that he took the Improved Toughness feat that raises it to 10.5 hit points per level. The fact that he's still alive shows that he must be at least 14th level. But even if he is 20th level, with over 200 HP, he can't take much more damage like that. Some other force has gotta intervene -- I'm hoping for the MITD.

3. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Just a general compliment:
    :clap:I'm continually amazed by the awesome quality of the storyline, and plot development in OOTS. It's a continuous storyline, but much of the story has been carefully planned and thought through in advance. It's not like many continuous storylines I'm used to on TV, where they kind of run out of momentum after a while. And the way that drama is used in it, it absolutely perfect. This guy is a great writer. He must have a whole team of geeks who create this comic, with perfect taste and sense for atmosphere. I can't put into words how impressed i am:bigeyes:.
    Give this guy a TV show!

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

OotS is doing great, too, but somehow I find myself missing the older strips' sense of humor. Also, I don't know if the style would translate that well into a TV show, though South Park isn't exactly a graphical masterpiece either. Now, Foglio's Girl Genius... I'd love if they made this into a TV series. It looks gorgeous in strips, and the story is simply great - I never was a fan of steampunk but I love every strip..

5. Ziad

Media:
    Who wants to bet that the spell cast on the amulet is Explosive Runes? :D

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

It would be fairly obvious... but that might be the exact same reason it might be something else. Heh.

BTW, this should be made into a demotivator, don't you think?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  7. Ziad

Media:
    The last 2 strips are the best in a very long time.

I'm starting to really like this comic again. This is the type of humorous and exciting happenings that got me into it in the first place.

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Sooooo, any more thought on what kind of creature it is now?

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

And at an acceptable speed.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

You know, I am starting to wonder what V's level is. Failing a will save that an effective fighter (O-chuul has said charisma was originally his dump stat, so we are looking at a very minor/no bonus from divine grace) passed is something that should not happen to a high-level wizard.

11. Ziad

Media:
    He's not a high-level wizard, Xykon even calls him "mid-level". We never do find out what his level is exactly. It must be at least 11 to cast Disintegrate, but I don't think he ever casts any 7th level spells or higher (not counting the splices). Considering how much he loves Disintegrate, I would expect him to spam Finger of Death as well if he could.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I like the bad-ass Xykon. He was getting a little too flip and casual for me.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I've always got the impression that V was a bit higher than that -- (s)he offered Meteor Swarm (and Time Stop, and Wish) to the drow wizard (Zz'dtri) from the Linear Guild in exchange for a house ruled 3.0 Fly. Of course, that could simply be an example of the Giant not thinking things through for the sake of humor.

Edit: It was comic #49, for those who wish to review.

Edit #2: I suppose (s)he could theoretically have added those high level spells to his/her spellbook as automatic spells at level up that (s)he has no need to roll for, but V doesn't strike me as the type who would forgoe a usable spell of the appropriate level for a spell that was not usable until later.

14. Ziad

Media:
    Judging by hisher expression in that strip (#49) and the fact heshe wasn't even looking at hisher spellbook, I think these 9th level spells weren't offered as such, but V was simply testing if any spells would elicit another reaction from Zz'dtri, with the implication that V knew Zz'dtri would just say "no" no matter how powerful the spell. Or I'm reading too much into what was at the time a simple webcomic with no overarching plot :)

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

And to return to the venerable origins of this thread...

ROY.IS.BACK!

16. Ziad

Media:
    The last two panels in #671 were hilarious :lol:

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I love the faces in the comic. For stick figures I feel like there's a lot of depth :p

Yes, those last two panels were very good. Sloooow updates though.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I love Durkon giving pregnancy advice to the girl, especially the paralysis comment. Even the lamer strips are still pretty blasted good.

19. Ziad

Media:
    I'm not so sure. I definitely wouldn't call the latest one of the lamer strips. OotS has its ups and downs, but when it goes down it's downright mediocre. IMHO of course. It's been back on the up for some time though and there's finally signs that the plot is on the move again, hopefully this is the preliminary to some great strips.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.